The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-06-2020, 01:22 PM

For me, the guitar that is favored in the church band I play in, is the one that the music director especially likes to hear. For me, it's my Taylor 150e 12-string. The director likes the way that it helps to fill out the sonic space - especially since oftentimes her and I are the only ones playing instruments at mass (she plays piano [a well to do couple donated a Steinway a couple of years ago to the church], and I play guitar through my Fishman Loudbox Charge).

I've always been like that - even in my rock bands (I've asked the other band members which guitars they like to hear me play). I prefer to be a team player (even as a lead guitarist I've always preferred to not go on a musical ego trip, and play for the song).

My Smile Makers:

Guild OM-120
Guild F-2512E Deluxe 12-string
Eastman E3DE
2013 Ibanez AFJ-95
Old 07-06-2020, 01:25 PM

It's interesting, most are assuming a ' church ' playing setting would mostly (or maybe exclusively) be a large setting.

Wasn't the way when I grew up, we had about 30 people in a room, no one really sitting in pews, but in a circle, no amplifiers, no plugins, just straight guitar playing.

Wonder if anyone plays in that sort of setting?

I guess if you do, a Martin may be more appropriate, for loudness.

J
Old 07-06-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
The only worship bands I see are on Youtube. But there seem to be a lot of Taylor T5's.
There's a difference between Worship Bands and playing in a quote unquote Church Setting.

Worship Bands your watching.

Church Setting playing, your participating.

J

Last edited by Lkristians; 07-06-2020 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
It's interesting, most are assuming a ' church ' playing setting would mostly (or maybe exclusively) be a large setting.

Wasn't the way when I grew up, we had about 30 people in a room, no one really sitting in pews, but in a circle, no amplifiers, no plugins, just straight guitar playing.

Wonder if anyone plays in that sort of setting?

I guess if you do, a Martin may be more appropriate, for loudness.

J

HI MGF

I do for small groups, or prayer meetings.

Our congregation has 3 weekend services…with Covid re-openings we are seeing 50+ in a couple of those services in a room which would be normally set for 120-150.

With 'distancing' being of concern, there is no chance to do small gathering style (plus the stage is setup for online services). The 50 chairs are set up in the same space that we'd normally have 120 in.

I'm sure there are very small congregations represented here, as well as formal music settings, casual music settings, and rock band Worship Team settings.

And if someone is playing sans amplification, Martin doesn't hold any advantage in that arena over many other guitars which project equally well.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-06-2020, 01:48 PM

I agree, I will take back that Martin only recommendation.

Like I said, I used a Gibson Dove (1972) that performed very well.

Another member of the church had a nylon string.

We all adjusted our playing accordingly and it sounded good.

J
Old 07-06-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinGibsonFan View Post
There's a difference between Worship Bands and playing in a quote unquote Church Setting.

Worship Bands your watching.

Church Setting playing, your participating.

J
I stand corrected, I guess. :-)

Couch Standards
Old 07-06-2020, 02:34 PM

Takamine EF-508KC for me, every Sunday. Pre-virus there were roughly 250-300 in the modern service where I play, sometimes as many as the low 400's.

Our band has my acoustic and our Worship Pastor's Taylor plus two electric, one bass, drums, synth, and keys. There are usually 4-6 singers in front of us. I have a Martin, Gallagher, Guild, and the guitar I built last year but the Takamine is the only one with electronics so that gets the nod 95% of the time. Occasionally they want the 12-string so I play my Guild through a mic.

I often play finger style for the first verse before everyone else joins in but am otherwise strumming. We have IEM's and I can hear myself quite well but our sound guy likes electric music so the only time I'm really heard is when I'm the only one playing.

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 07-06-2020, 02:39 PM

My choice would be a Takamine EF341SC due to the incredible plugged-in tone in addition to playability. If you buy used, they usually go for what a new Taylor 110 does.

My second choice given that budget? I'd look into getting an Eastman with a K&K mini installed.
Old 07-06-2020, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenGtrGrl View Post
For me, the guitar that is favored in the church band I play in, is the one that the music director especially likes to hear. For me, it's my Taylor 150e 12-string. The director likes the way that it helps to fill out the sonic space - especially since oftentimes her and I are the only ones playing instruments at mass (she plays piano [a well to do couple donated a Steinway a couple of years ago to the church], and I play guitar through my Fishman Loudbox Charge).

I've always been like that - even in my rock bands (I've asked the other band members which guitars they like to hear me play). I prefer to be a team player (even as a lead guitarist I've always preferred to not go on a musical ego trip, and play for the song).
Great post!
Old 07-06-2020, 02:51 PM

Default oo

I see that no one has recommended a oo size guitar. Why?

Thanks,

Russ
Old 07-06-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjathon View Post
I see that no one has recommended a oo size guitar. Why?

Thanks,

Russ
The OO size is a relatively small size, maybe due to projection and volume?

Like I said in a previous thread, our group (about 30 people) were able to play with nylon (gut) as well as steel strings. It's just a matter of adjusting.

If you have a pickup and amplifier arrangement, I'm sure an OO would work.

The problem there is, if the OO has an amplifier, probably everyone else does too.

The other problem with being plugged in, you have less control over volume control and courtesy of other players, or at least that's my experience.

J
Old 07-06-2020, 05:39 PM

More often than not I play my OM-42 Koa. It’s my consistent go to for any playing I do so it’s comfortable and sounds good in the mix. And to Larry’s earlier point, it’s a very pretty guitar.

Our band leader is pretty rigid in his make-up...in 10 years he’s never had more than one acoustic guitar on stage. I think that's interesting.

I usually bring a back-up as an insurance policy in case of a busted string (I have never broken a string while playing in over 45 years, but you never know...). Typically the HD 28 vs. I do like to bust that out on a couple acoustically focused songs when I’m singing. It’s a beast but sounds good in the room.
Old 07-06-2020, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Our music director is more free flying. Usually two guitars if not three and occasionally the other two guitarist will break out a mandolin and banjo. Then it really gets fun. Add the bass player, drummer, at least one keyboard...sometimes two. Three women and as many as 5 or 6 men (also playing instruments) singing. It can be easy to get lost in that mix. But when its on it's awesome. And it feels great to be in the middle of it.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-06-2020, 08:22 PM

I'm reading this and thinking, "Why does it have to be an acoustic?"
Old 07-06-2020, 08:25 PM

Play one of Martin’s 000-28 or OM models. If you can afford it, look at their Modern Deluxe series. Very versatile, comfortable, fantastic sounding instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion