The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-24-2020, 08:41 PM

Default any opinions on Martins 16 series

I just ordered Musician Friends stupid deal of the day and was just wondering if any one has any thoughts on this series. It's the Martin MC-16E.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:26 PM

I’ve got an OM-16GT and I like it well.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:29 PM

i saw that STOTD and thought to myself, "if i was looking for a GPC or OMC spruce/Rosewood, not a bad deal". not exactly sure what the "MC" is since they call it a Grand Auditorium but i thought that was what a GPC was supposed to emulate (ie. Taylor XX4 series, "Grand Auditorium")...clearly there is already a GPC-16E so i would assume an MC-16 is slightly smaller but larger than an OMC? i have played the GPC-16E at a local GC and it sounds nice but the OOO-depth lacks the punch i typically want from my guitars. i wonder if the MC has OOO depth or regular GPC depth. otherwise it seems like you are getting a good price on an all solid, American-made, sitka/RW Martin which you can't go wrong with....so congratulations!
Old 06-24-2020, 10:21 PM

Thanks. I will let everyone know what I think of it when it arrives.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:39 PM

I ordered that girl this afternoon too! My main player is a 2013 OMC-16GTE. It's Sitka/Sapele, Richlite fretboard and bridge - which has held up flawlessly and made a believer of me - and incredible Roland electronics. I think the 16 Series is a great value. Mine sounds almost as good as an 18 acoustically, better plugged in, feels pretty much identical and cost about 60% as much.
This particular SDOTD is really intriguing because of the 0000 or M body. I got a DSS-17 last year to scratch my itch for a bigger sounding guitar and I love the sound, but I hate getting my right arm around it - makes my shoulder hurt after a while. The OM depth of this one should be much less painful and interfere with my right hand technique a lot less. It's kinda like a thin jumbo. Here's a great video of Cory Congilio playing an M-36

https://youtu.be/HcwINidgtW4

Apparently, this is an MF/GC exclusive. The only M listed on Martin's website is the M-36, which is essentially the same guitar with a few aesthetic differences, no cutaway and no electronics for more than twice the money. I'm so excited to get my hands and ears on this girl. Does anybody have first hand experience with the Matrix VT Enhance NT2 system?

What I Got:
Larrivee Mahogany/Spruce Satin Parlor
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)

Last edited by D. Dubya; 06-24-2020 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 11:43 PM

By the way, the M, or 0000 is the depth of an OM, but the body is slightly longer and wider. Listing it as a Grand Auditorium is a little confusing. Mine will be in Friday - I'll try to get some pics and video up over the weekend.

What I Got:
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Fender Special Run Standard Jazz Bass - Flame Maple top - Tobacco Burst (Moderately modified)
Old 06-25-2020, 04:32 AM
AGF Sponsor

I guarantee you'll like the size of the M-body. I've owned five Martins in that size (among the 40+ Martins I've owned) and right now my primary guitar for gigging and teaching is a M-36. "The Swiss Army Knife of Martins" it's been called and I totally agree. Although Martin has made quite a few custom shop models in the M-size it always amazes me that the M-36 is the only "stock" guitar they offer in this size. I really think they are missing the boat on this - for many people it would be the perfect size and you get almost as much volume, sustain and resonance as a dread. Enjoy your new guitar! I came very close to pulling the trigger on that one yesterday and now I wish I had. I't likely it will go on sale again though; this one shows up on SDOTD fairly often.

Gene Bourque
Old 06-25-2020, 08:21 AM

Thanks for all the info D. Dubya. I was kind of wondering if it wasn't a M.F. exclusive guitar. And like you said I was a little confused about the G.A. size. I didn't even think Martin had a G.A. size. I didn't even know they had the 0000 body size. Now I'm really looking forward to trying this guitar. I should probably get it Friday, but if not by Monday for sure. That's whats really great about this forum is the way people share a lot of info about guitars. Thanks again D. Dubya. And capefisherman too.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:36 AM

Agree with Gene. ^^ I have a custom shop model (OOOO-28H) in this body style and it's the most comfortable guitar I have for ease of playing. And it sounds great, too. I find myself reaching for it more and more these days. I think you'll really like the feel of it.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:01 AM

baw3 - I think we may have stumbled upon the best kept secret in acoustic instruments. I'll start the official MC-16E thread when she gets here - unless you get yours first.

What I Got:
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Old 06-25-2020, 09:21 AM

Sounds good to me. I'm really curious about the pick up system too. I have never played one of those pick ups. I have K&K pure minis in all my Eastmans. I have been listening to video reviews of the Martin M-36 and it sounds like an ex. guitar. I know its hard to tell how a guitar sounds until you play it yourself. Anyway, I think this Martin is going to be a Keeper.
Old 06-25-2020, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Dubya View Post
... Does anybody have first hand experience with the Matrix VT Enhance NT2 system?
That was the stock pickup on my 000-17e when I got it. After about 100 gigs I finally gave up getting the sound I was looking for out of it and pulled it out in favor of a Baggs M1. It's not a bad pickup, but it does have the distinct pizeo quack. There is a control for how much of the Enhance pickup is added to the signal, but honestly it would be more usable if you could also dial down the pizeo. If you have a very light hand or are a fingerpicker it will be a much more usable system than it would be for a flatpicker.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 06-25-2020, 10:10 AM

We owned a 1993 000-16 for years and it was a sweet little short-scale (24.9") guitar. Technically it was my wife's guitar, but I got to play it too.

The Martin 0000 / M / J bodies are the same overall dimensions as a dreadnought, but with a more pinched waist. That waist gives them a more focused and balanced sound than a boomy dread. M's have the 0000 body shape with the depth of an OM or 000, and the J's have the same depth as a dreadnought. I chose a J-40 back in the day for bare nails fingerpicking (75%) and strumming (25%). I agree with the "best kept secret" comment.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
That was the stock pickup on my 000-17e when I got it. After about 100 gigs I finally gave up getting the sound I was looking for out of it and pulled it out in favor of a Baggs M1. It's not a bad pickup, but it does have the distinct pizeo quack. There is a control for how much of the Enhance pickup is added to the signal, but honestly it would be more usable if you could also dial down the pizeo. If you have a very light hand or are a fingerpicker it will be a much more usable system than it would be for a flatpicker.
Yeah, that's kinda what I figured. The Enhance transducer is an interesting concept, but at the end of the day, a Fishman Matrix is a Fishman Matrix. I wish I could get the Roland system that's in my other 16 Series installed in every guitar in the world. It's got 3 COSM body resonance images, 7 band EQ and reverb. Players and sound guys lose their minds over it every time I plug it in.

What I Got:
Martin OMC-16GTE
Martin DSS-17
Alvarez MF60CEOM

Old 06-26-2020, 01:29 AM

I've has a 12-16GT for some years now. I'm delighted with the sound from the spruce top and mahogany back and sides. Great tonal balance in all frequencies and excellent projection. Barks when pushed and is equally at home with delicate flatpicking.
My only issue is the 16" neck radius which makes barre chords on the first 3 or 4 frets a challenge for my ageing hands - my luthier has offered to reprofile the radius to 12" as a solution (nut, saddle and probably frets will also require changing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion