The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Default Anyone here played a Gibson G45?

Lots of good reviews.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:35 PM

I've played several of them at different music stores in different cities, most recently at the Guitar Center in Anchorage, Alaska. I found them fairly underwhelming, frankly. None of them really had as much tone or volume as the J-45's and other Gibson acoustic guitars the stores had on hand.

But even so, my experience with the is admittedly limited. I just haven't played any yet that I really liked.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Lots of good reviews.
Have a standard purchased in January. Love it. Sounds great, plays great, vety happy.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

I've owned both the Studio and, later, a Standard. I sold the Studio to buy a Telecaster, which obviously wasn't a reflection on the Gibson, but on my fickleness.

I had the Standard for a couple of weeks, recently, to compare with a Taylor 214ce Koa. The Standard has a fuller sound than the Studio, which I wouldn't have imagined was just down to the gloss finish and Richlite board, but the difference is definitely there (as other people have also confirmed). The G45 has a sound all of its own, really nice mids, but overall thinner than the Taylor, with less low end. I'd describe the tone as 'distant', 'vintage', and maybe a little boxy. It's more of a pickers and light strummers guitar, IMO. I much prefer the G45 to some of the price-comparable Martin's that I've played - D10e, or any of the X series guitars - which lack the overall articulation and pleasing mids of the Gibson. If you love the Martin sound, you might hate the Gibson, or prefer a J-15. I liked the playability of the G45 - slightly chunkier neck than the Taylor, but not quite 1 3/4" at the nut, and a matt finish. The relatively shallow body of the G45 is comfortable on the couch. The mini Grover Rotomatics were awful - small, fiddly and inaccurate... I like Grovers, but not these. I thought the headstock looked cheap, with a wishy-washy silkscreened logo and truss rod cover that looked like thin Formica.

There's a lot to like about this guitar - it has a charm that perhaps the more pristine Taylor doesn't, but I returned the Gibson mainly because of build quality (although looking back, the Taylor was a better all-rounder, tonally, as well as in build quality). I put up a thread asking about this, but the G45 had a pronounced, what I now know to be called 'fall away', of the fingerboard*. I don't remember the Studio being that way (or any other guitar I've owned), but I saw no reason why Gibson couldn't, if necessary, shim the fingerboard to keep it flat. Don't let this put you off - it might have been a one-off, or they might just be made like that (I didn't ask Gibson).

In summary, the default answer to your question is, you need to try a few and look over them carefully, before you buy one.
* PS. Just enquired about another G45, out of curiosity, and photos of that one didn't have such a pronounced fall away. Maybe I got a bad one, maybe they're inconsistent.

Last edited by Arthur Slowhand; 06-12-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:28 AM

I tried a J45 Studio, which is ostensibly the same thing, and agree with Wade that it doesn't stack up to other Gibsons I have sampled and own. I also found the tone lacking and the quick decay may be the cause of it sounding somewhat boxy for its size. Granted, it was a sample of one and I don't have much experience with Walnut, but it doesn't sound like a Gibson to me (more "modern," actually).

I do like the slimmer profile, however, and the build quality was good. But if you like the Martin tone -- or Gibson's for that matter -- you probably won't be happy with this one. I think it's more of a starter guitar. I would wait until you get a chance to try one before you buy.
Old 06-12-2020, 06:27 AM
Charter Member

I tried one at GC when they first came out. I prefer the sound from a deeper bodied guitar - at least I think I do. I had read before playing one that it wasn't as deep as my J-45 so that may have prejudiced my "review." Now I'm not even sure where I read that.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-12-2020, 11:39 AM

I played one at a Sam Ashe while on vacation in Sarasota last year. There was a lot of activity going on where I played it. So I can't really comment on the tone. But it seemed to play just fine.

I would give it another look if I was buying.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years
Old 07-09-2020, 09:26 AM

Just received mine last Friday.

Right out of the case it was setup perfect. Action was perfect for me and intonation is spot on.

Plays, looks and sounds great....no regrets!
Epiphone IBG J45
Yamaha FS800
Guild Pilot Bass
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior
Guild Flamed Maple Jumbo Junior Bass
Recording King Dirty 30's Mando
Frankensquier P Bass
Squier Bullet Telecaster
Old 07-09-2020, 09:41 AM

Tried one last year on vacation. Was OK but not one I can't live without.

These are Gibson's entry level. Would be a good step up after playing a couple of years when starting on a $500 or less guitar.
2019 Takamine GD93
2022 Takamine GJ72CE 6-String
2022 Cort GA-QF CBB
1963 Gibson SG
2016 Kala uke
Dean A style mandolin. (Year unknown)
Lotus L80 (1984ish)
Plus a few lower end I have had for years

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion