The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-28-2020, 08:31 PM

Default Proceed with caution...

This is no time to hurry.
Many factors are in play, not the least of which is the guitar's case. Some cases seal much better than others, many have been clunked or bent and have air coming in the seams, and if the guitar has been dehydrated you can bet the case has been too.
Its extremely difficult to tell if the case is sealing properly, so get an in-case hygrometer if you can.
On the Canadian prairies we see lots of dehydration damage, and many ambitious attempts to re-humidify have gone awry, sometimes resulting in water damage inside the guitar body, leaking through and milking outward underneath the finish, wreaking havoc and causing disfigurements of all kinds.
Go slow, using 2 Oasis humidifiers. these humidifiers work well but even they can be flawed and not emit adequately! So watch them and make sure they each need 10-15 cc every 3-4 days. Put one in the strings/soundhole, and one in the case under the headstock. Give the guitar at least 3 weeks! To be extra careful, keep cloths underneath the oasis' JUST IN Case they leak!
Old 06-30-2020, 08:40 AM

There is a pretty old Taylor video on youtube. Everything he does takes a day.

Butter container 1/2 full of water in the stringless body. Use the lid to cover the soundhole. Leave it in the case and away from any chance to be bumped. Like watering a new fresh cut christmas tree. Just check less often as that guitar wood has long been "dead". Once every 24 hours. I'd say keep going until the water level stops dropping.

Read good things about the bag trick.

I live on the gulf coast. I think I can just walk outside, turn around and walk right back in to give my guitar a "drink".

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair