The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 12:34 PM

Default GS Mini Suggestion

This might not work for some G.S. Mini owners, and might seem obvious to others, but its helped mine ,so I thought it worth a mention.
There have been discussions on here about some of us (me included ) having problems keeping the Mini in tune, especially with a capo. Instead of the usual neck relief I have on my other guitars, I experimented by tightening the Mini truss rod so the gap is tiny, only just less than dead straight. It seems to have made a difference to tuning stability, I guess as much as anything because it will have lengthened the string length by just a small amount. It appears to have worked for me, and is an easily reversable thing to try if you have similar problem.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:43 PM

I upgraded the GS Mini tuners to the Taylor 18:1 ratio tuners from the stock 14:1. I had one tuner that would slip a bit before, but now they’re very stable and it’s easier to fine-tune.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-08-2020, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGinMP View Post
I upgraded the GS Mini tuners to the Taylor 18:1 ratio tuners from the stock 14:1. I had one tuner that would slip a bit before, but now they’re very stable and it’s easier to fine-tune.
Interesting I thought the stock were 18:1. I might buy six of the 12 string tuner’s in the foreseeable future. Thanks
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 PM

I put on a set of Gohto Minis on my Koa and all is good.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:55 PM

Yep I would suggest replacing with Gotoh mini 510 tuners. Did that on my Martin DJr. Really precise, smooth tuning machines. A bit pricey for this level of guitar, but if you really like the guitar and plan to keep it for a while, well worth the investment.

Current Inventory:

Martin 000-18 - Golden Era
Martin 000-42
Martin D Jr.
Martin 000-15SM
Bourgeois JOM
M J Franks 000
Old 07-08-2020, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmruegg View Post
Yep I would suggest replacing with Gotoh mini 510 tuners. Did that on my Martin DJr. Really precise, smooth tuning machines. A bit pricey for this level of guitar, but if you really like the guitar and plan to keep it for a while, well worth the investment.
Agreed. Did the same to my Mini. Much better overall.
06 Taylor Koa T5
09 Takamine 12 string
11 Taylor NS24ce-LTD
13 Gibson Les Paul Standard
14 Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass
16 Taylor 524ce Mahogany
16 Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
17 PRS SE Custom 24
23 Taylor GS Mini Walnut LTD

---------------------
Old 07-09-2020, 09:57 AM
Charter Member

Interesting posts. I also have a GS Mini and have been struggling with the tuning issues as well. I think I'll try changing the tuners. I should have thought of that.

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 07-09-2020, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Just how much out of tune is an issue? Mine needs a little tweak every day, but just a tweak. I guess I just assumed that it was temp and humidity. It does not go out of tune while I'm playing it. I do have two capos and one of them really clamps down tight. It draws the strings a little sharp, but not noticeably so. I didn't even think about it until I read about it on this forum and checked with a tuner out of curiosity. The other one I use most often doesn't do that. I'm just wondering.

Note, both capos have a similar design. The one, I pulled the spring out and clipped off a couple twists and put it back in. At the time I wasn't even thinking about tuning problems, I was worried that it was so tight that it would put a dent in the back of the neck. It still works fine for its purpose.

Last edited by rllink; 07-09-2020 at 10:52 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
Just how much out of tune is an issue? Mine needs a little tweak every day, but just a tweak. I guess I just assumed that it was temp and humidity. It does not go out of tune while I'm playing it. I do have two capos and one of them really clamps down tight. It draws the strings a little sharp, but not noticeably so. I didn't even think about it until I read about it on this forum and checked with a tuner out of curiosity.
That's totally normal IMO and not a reason to change tuners or other "fixes." I had one stock tuner that would slip as if an internal gear was partially stripped. I also like the finer control of the upgraded tuners, but that's not a big deal.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 07-10-2020, 02:35 PM

Well its a few days on for me now, and theres no doubt that the tweak of the truss rod has made a difference. Its as if the slight tightening of the strings has helped to lose the ' rubber band ' type feel of the shorter scale. . Tuning is more stable, with and without a capo
I dont believe the tuners are particularly poor, It does seem that small tweaks on a very short scale guitars like this make more of a noticeable difference..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion