The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Default Breaking abalone into curves

I've read several things where people talk about breaking abalone strips to make them confirm with curves. Just how does this work? Doesn't it leave gaps? I just can't envision this. Can someone school me a little?
Old 06-30-2020, 07:58 AM

A video is worth a lot of words....

Thanks to Robbie O'Brien:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_23la54KUp8
Old 06-30-2020, 12:28 PM

Don't worry about the cracking. The gaps will be invisible unless while cracking it a piece chips away which happens from time to time. But a nice clean break in fact makes it look better. The first guitar I ever did this with I purchased curved abalone to match the rosette radius and also to be used for the purfling. Barely any of it cracked so the final result I could more clearly see each indifidual one inch long abalone piece butted up against the one before it. It's not terrible or anything but when you crack it, it creates a randomness to those joint lines and overall looks a lot better.

Actually the very first time I did this I used Zipflez which truly is an awesome product but it's expensive and frankly inlaying it the old school way is not at all difficult and I do believe the result even looks better. But ZipFlex is very easy to use too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair