The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-26-2019, 09:26 AM

Default NFL Week 17 ... and then off to the playoffs

Final week of the NFL season. Baltimore, Buffalo, and Minnesota are locked in their playoff seeds so they're able to rest players. Some scenarios:
  • Patriots win they have #2 seed and bye
  • Chiefs win and Patriots lose the Chiefs have the #2 seed
  • Steelers make the playoffs if they win and the Titans lose
  • NFC top two seeds are still up for grabs between Seattle, San Fran, Green Bay, and New Orleans

Good Sunday to watch football?
Old 12-26-2019, 11:25 AM

I’ll be rooting against Tennessee but even if the Steelers get in they’re one and done IMO.
Old 12-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Yes, it is still not decided whom Kirk Cousins will choke to in the wild-card round.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:31 PM

The Cleveland Browns will be mercifully absent from the playoffs yet again. So we'll be spared watching them do stupid things.
If I had to pick favorites in the playoffs, I'd go with the Ravens in the AFC, with the Chiefs as my second choice. Are the Patriots finally over their run? I think so but thought that a year ago until they stomped the Chargers in the playoff game, at which point I said, "Uh oh."
In the NFC, I could make a pretty compelling argument for San Francisco, Seattle, Green Bay or New Orleans. (Vikings, not so much ...) In other words, I haven't a clue.
And that's what makes the NFL so compelling.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-26-2019, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Although they could easily blow it, the Eagles probably SHOULD beat the Giants, win (lose less?) the NFC East, and enter the playoffs as heavy underdogs at home against any one of a number of much better teams. But given the way the division has gone this year, I think it would be far more fitting to have the Eagles blow it, lose to the Giants, have the Dallas / Washington game run a little behind, and have Dallas lose it in the last second on a missed 30 yard field goal. It just seems like the way it should go down...

Probably won't, but a guy can dream...

-Ray
Old 12-26-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M19 View Post
Yes, it is still not decided whom Kirk Cousins will choke to in the wild-card round.
Don't know why the Vikings signed him to such a huge contract ... perhaps we'll see why this playoff year? ... don't think so though.
Old 12-26-2019, 04:15 PM

Default 49'rs-Seattle..."The return of Beast Mode"?

I'm very curious about the playing condition of Marshawn Lynch. This final game of the regular season is for the division title. Would you send Lynch in after one week of practice when you have a 4th stringer ready to go? Seattle is full of band-aids on both sides of the ball. 49'rs are looking to send a much healthier squad to the 12th mans' stadium. I think 49'rs leave the Emerald City with the division title and first seed in the NFC.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:00 PM

While everybody else is trying to figure the playoffs for their teams, the Detroit Lions are trying to figure out how to handle their high draft pick and the subsequent trading down to pick up another TE or other useless choice in order to maintain their mediocrity!

For some reason I like Green Bay. The people of the city OWN their team and therefore can't be threatened and messed with to make the tax payers foot the bill!

Fog
Old 12-26-2019, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Don't know why the Vikings signed him to such a huge contract ... perhaps we'll see why this playoff year? ... don't think so though.
After getting to the NFC Championship game in 2017, they thought they were a better QB away from the Superbowl. Now, KC is overall a better QB than Case Keenum, but under any kind of pressure or expectation, not so much. He would've overthrown Diggs on the Mpls Miracle play.
Old 12-26-2019, 05:45 PM

I’ll be rooting for the Patriots.
Old 12-26-2019, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Final week of the NFL season. Baltimore, Buffalo, and Minnesota are locked in their playoff seeds so they're able to rest players. Some scenarios:

• Patriots win they have #2 seed and bye
  • Chiefs win and Patriots lose the Chiefs have the #2 seed
  • Steelers make the playoffs if they win and the Titans lose
  • NFC top two seeds are still up for grabs between Seattle, San Fran, Green Bay, and New Orleans

Good Sunday to watch football?

Yeah a lot still at stake. Both, the Pats and Chiefs are playing teams they should easily beat. But as the saying goes, “any given Sunday”.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
Yeah a lot still at stake. Both, the Pats and Chiefs are playing teams they should easily beat. But as the saying goes, “any given Sunday”.
If the Pats can't beat the Fins in December...at Foxborough... with the #2 seed and a bye on the line, they don't deserve a bye this year.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-26-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
For some reason I like Green Bay. The people of the city OWN their team and therefore can't be threatened and messed with to make the tax payers foot the bill!
Fog
That's a common misconception. Taxes have in fact funded every improvement and expansion at Lambeau for decades. Not to the extent of some big city teams, but it's a fact.

The "stock" that is sold to raise funds is worthless, it's just a donation to the team. Packers business operates just like any other team, the only difference is the agreement with the city makes it difficult to sell or move the team. Difficult, not impossible.

Green Bay is only 105,000 people. Brown County is 252,000. The revenue the team generates is huge in relation to the population. That's why the team is there. It's about money just like anywhere. However, the concept that the citizens of Green Bay "own" the team is simply not true. It is a mutually beneficial relationship which could conceivably change, but is unlikely to in the foreseeable future.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-27-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
If the Pats can't beat the Fins in December...at Foxborough... with the #2 seed and a bye on the line, they don't deserve a bye this year.

I’d be really worried if it was in Miami. Their record is not that great there. Must be the hot sun [emoji23]
Old 12-27-2019, 06:19 AM

Geez Dr Spivey, I guess I was wrong about GB Packers and also, there is NO Santa Claus! Come to think of it, he's (Santa) is all about the money too!

Fog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic