The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-09-2020, 09:33 AM

I would put Ovations in the "solid state" category. (Not a dig, I like the way Ovations sound.) Very articulate, but not a lot of overtones.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:42 AM

Tubes by virtue of their properties have second order harmonics, which to the aficionados make tube amps sound more harmonically complex and reallistic. But the naysayers call this a "coloration" and they prefer solid state for better controlled bass and fundamentals. So I GUESS the analogy could work? But according to the logic, then, some of the Martins and Gibsons would belong in the solid state category, and I'm sure there could be quibbles from either side.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:07 AM

They're just like tubes vs. Solid state in the fact that dudes will argue for days over which is better and then be unable to tell them apart on record.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 07-09-2020, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asobi View Post
Tubes by virtue of their properties have second order harmonics, which to the aficionados make tube amps sound more harmonically complex and reallistic. But the naysayers call this a "coloration" and they prefer solid state for better controlled bass and fundamentals. So I GUESS the analogy could work? But according to the logic, then, some of the Martins and Gibsons would belong in the solid state category, and I'm sure there could be quibbles from either side.
Absolutely. Some Taylors or Collings might also fall in the tube camp.

Again, a questionable generalization, but there does seem merit to it, to my mind at least.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 07-09-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

I would say I prize tube amps both for their harmonic content and their breakup characteristics. Perhaps more for the latter. The distortion is very pleasing, as is the ability to ride between clean and distorted based on the power of the attack (or the volume knob). Hard to relate that to an acoustic guitar. I generally would NOT want distortion on my acoustics in the sense that they've gone beyond their headroom threshold.
Old 07-09-2020, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I would say I prize tube amps both for their harmonic content and their breakup characteristics. Perhaps more for the latter. The distortion is very pleasing, as is the ability to ride between clean and distorted based on the power of the attack (or the volume knob). Hard to relate that to an acoustic guitar. I generally would NOT want distortion on my acoustics in the sense that they've gone beyond their headroom threshold.
There's an argument that 'lush overtones' in an acoustic consist, to some degree, of harmonic distortions, many of which are pleasing to the ear. Same with audio components, where 2nd-order harmonic distortions are what makes tubes sound so sweet.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:07 PM

I like this thread but I think a better analogy would be:
  1. Laminated are solid state
  2. Solid wood are tubes
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburg325 View Post
There's an argument that 'lush overtones' in an acoustic consist, to some degree, of harmonic distortions, many of which are pleasing to the ear. Same with audio components, where 2nd-order harmonic distortions are what makes tubes sound so sweet.
Probably. I don't particularly like a lot of overtones in an acoustic. I seek a different sound on electric. Regardless, the analogy doesn't work for me.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
They're just like tubes vs. Solid state in the fact that dudes will argue for days over which is better and then be unable to tell them apart on record.
That's about the only thing in this thread that I can agree with.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:15 AM

My view on guitars is there more like Lay's potato chips " You just can't have one"
Old 07-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

Don't know if you can categorize it like that or not. But I was happy to see you put Taylor in the solid state category. Have only found a couple I liked.
Old 07-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZYPIKINS View Post
Don't know if you can categorize it like that or not. But I was happy to see you put Taylor in the solid state category. Have only found a couple I liked.
I'd say that Taylor is the quintessential solid-state guitar and Martin is the quintessential tube guitar.
Old 07-10-2020, 08:02 AM
Guitar Gourmet

You know, I've more likened it to body wood types on electrics. I've got a Carvin TL60T that has a maple through neck and alder wings. I've got a Gibson SG that is has a mahogany body and mahogany set neck. The Carvin has excellent individual-string definition but when you strum a chord you hear a stack of individual strings more than a blended chord. Strum the SG and you get a smooth, blended chord that sounds like one sound. Individual strings sound less defined than on the Carvin.

That is one way that I look at acoustic guitars: The large Martins provide a wonderful blended chordal sound when strummed. They don't seem to have a strong individual string definition. There are Martins that are better at it. Large Taylors (up until the new series) were known for their individual string definition. By contrast, chords don't seem to blend into one sound nearly as well as they do on a large Martin.

It seems to come down to horses for courses.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
You know, I've more likened it to body wood types on electrics. I've got a Carvin TL60T that has a maple through neck and alder wings. I've got a Gibson SG that is has a mahogany body and mahogany set neck. The Carvin has excellent individual-string definition but when you strum a chord you hear a stack of individual strings more than a blended chord. Strum the SG and you get a smooth, blended chord that sounds like one sound. Individual strings sound less defined than on the Carvin.

That is one way that I look at acoustic guitars: The large Martins provide a wonderful blended chordal sound when strummed. They don't seem to have a strong individual string definition. There are Martins that are better at it. Large Taylors (up until the new series) were known for their individual string definition. By contrast, chords don't seem to blend into one sound nearly as well as they do on a large Martin.

It seems to come down to horses for courses.

Bob
Lol, I had a Carvin TL60 all Koa. Nice guitars, I mounted a Roland sync processor on mine, so I could do strings on Nights in White Satin or electric drums on Brown Eye Girl or Roads Organ and a lot of British Evasion stuff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion