The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-06-2022, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Another NGD…Final piece in place?

As many of you know, I’ve spent the last few years working on downsizing while upgrading. Over the years I’ve acquired a lot of gear. This has afforded me the opportunity to try diff “flavors”, and develop my tonal palette.

The Japanese Gretsch (6128-TVP) has been my main player the last 3 years. Phenomenal. But, it’s going away for a bit for a re-fret. The 335 will take her place while she’s recovering.

And, to round out my stable…

A new Fender Vintera Road Worn. At first I was a little taken aback by the prices for Mexican made offerings. Having owned my fair share of teles (Mexican to American, Baja to ‘72 Deluxe, Japanese, you name it) I can say that this…just…has “it”. The nitro finish is a plus.

I know, I know. There will be those who prefer the non worn look. I understand, but I am not one of them. And, although I play quite a bit privately and publicly, I’m not sure I could ever naturally relic one to proper degree on my own.

The neck profile is sooooo good. Unlike any other Fender I’ve owned. I’d say full C, but, not “baseball bat” full. Def not a modern profile (50’s obviously), but it’s VERY comfy and “familiar”. I’d describe this guitar like my favorite old pair of Levi’s.

Enjoy the gratuitous pic. I’ve also include a “family” pic. I’d love to see a pic of your “fam” as well.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 08-06-2022 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 06:56 PM

Bought one of the first late-CBS '52 Tele RI's from my local Sam Ash when they first came out: had the anachronistic '60s-style 7.25" radius 1-5/8" neck (which, quite frankly, I loved), rewired it with a 5-way to get both pickups as well as some Gretsch "tone switch" type sounds from the neck pickup, sold it for three times what I paid when I moved on to other things. Still have an '86 MIJ Fender/Squier Strat for when I need "that" sound, but since I got my 3-PU Gretsch those times are fewer and farther between: may do a blonde '72 Thinline when I get some discretionary funds and the necessary space - always thought they were cool when I was back in college...

Don't have a single group shot, but here are the members of my current Gretsch family in order of acquisition: '64 Double Annie 6117 (bought new in May '64), '16 G5622T-CB E-Matic (my gigmeister), NOS '13 G6136DC White Falcon " '62 Tribute" (unlike the Street Sounds limited edition - a dead-on replica of a late-'63 Falcon, complete with double "red felt" mutes and period-correct "blue-white" finish - this one joins at the 18th fret, which I prefer):

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 08-07-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:03 AM

the heavy relicing aint for me

But this is not that, that is done tastefully.

I like it.

have fun with it.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-07-2022, 11:01 AM

Tony, that's a beautiful Tele! The hint of relicing is very well done, I like it.

"I’d describe this guitar like my favorite old pair of Levi’s." - what a great way to describe a guitar. Sounds like a keeper.
Old 08-07-2022, 02:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the heavy relicing aint for me

But this is not that, that is done tastefully.

I like it.

have fun with it.
Ty! I agree. There is a line in which it can be become a bit much. I also appreciated the subtlety. I kept looking at it thinking, “is it really relic’d?” Yes, just very subtly.

I’ll knock the back of the neck down a bit to get a bit more smoothness. Then it’s time to get the setup tools out for a bit of “dialing in”. So far, I’m very pleased.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Tony, that's a beautiful Tele! The hint of relicing is very well done, I like it.

"I’d describe this guitar like my favorite old pair of Levi’s." - what a great way to describe a guitar. Sounds like a keeper.
Thank you, friend. I like it very much! I feel it was done very tastefully. The nitro finish, excellent neck profile, light relic, and smooth single coils fill my stable nicely.

Running it through the Nobles is so buttery…a bit “chewy”. The single coils respond well to that OD.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-07-2022, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Bought one of the first late-CBS '52 Tele RI's from my local Sam Ash when they first came out: had the anachronistic '60s-style 7.25" radius 1-5/8" neck (which, quite frankly, I loved), rewired it with a 5-way to get both pickups as well as some Gretsch "tone switch" type sounds from the neck pickup, sold it for three times what I paid when I moved on to other things. Still have an '86 MIJ Fender/Squier Strat for when I need "that" sound, but since I got my 3-PU Gretsch those times are fewer and farther between: may do a blonde '72 Thinline when I get some discretionary funds and the necessary space -
always thought they were cool when I was back in college...

Don't have a single group shot, but here are the members of my current Gretsch family in order of acquisition: '64 Double Annie 6117 (bought new in May '64), '16 G5622T-CB E-Matic (my gigmeister), NOS '13 G6136DC White Falcon " '62 Tribute" (unlike the Street Sounds limited edition - a dead-on replica of a late-'63 Falcon, complete with double "red felt" mutes and period-correct "blue-white" finish - this one joins at the 18th fret, which I prefer):

Thank you, Steve. I love the hotter wound pickups and thicker ‘50s U-shaped neck. The 7.25-inch-radius is a real treat. Even though it’s full, it’s not fat. Thick, but not chunky. If that makes sense.

Maybe I’ll do a rewire, and add a 5-way. Hadn’t thought that far ahead. But, I DID think….”man, this thing would be REALLY cool with a Bigsby…” Opinions?

Thanks for sharing the pics. I love the collection!
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-07-2022, 03:38 PM

Thats a good looking Telecaster Tony! 75th anniversary too! How nice. Whats that color called? Buttercreme? Enjoy it.
frank d.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
...Maybe I’ll do a rewire, and add a 5-way. Hadn’t thought that far ahead...
As you already know I'm a Gretsch guy at heart, so I had mine stealth-rewired with a 5-way switch to tap into some of that 60 Broadway mojo while keeping the "spirit of '52" intact; if you're interested here's the specs:
  • Position #1 - neck PU, .1mfd cap (original '52 spec first-position)
  • Position #2 - neck PU, .047 cap (Stephen Stills "Wooden Ships" lead tone)
  • Position #3 - neck PU, volume/tone control (original '52 spec middle position)
  • Position #4 - neck/bridge in series, volume/tone control
  • Position #5 - bridge PU, volume/tone control
Original Fender factory pots/tone cap retained...

Rolling off the tone control in positions #4 & 5 does a fair approximation of the "soft rolloff" position on the post-1958 Gretsch 3-way tone switch - great as an alternate jazz tone, or if your OD is too edgy/fizzy-sounding and you don't want to mess with the amp's EQ on the fly; sorry I don't have the schematic, but it should be easy to duplicate if you have a competent tech or an electronics background...

Note: Mine was strung with flatwound 12's, the way Leo shipped them from the factory in '52 (and for many years thereafter), and had the lowest action I've ever seen on any post-CBS Fender - your tonal results may (and probably will) differ with other gauges/windings...
Old 08-08-2022, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

PTony, that Vintera is relic'd just right IMO. It looks really good. I think that's the same color as my Noventa tele, and I like that color a lot. Congrats.
Old 08-09-2022, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Ty! I agree. There is a line in which it can be become a bit much. I also appreciated the subtlety. I kept looking at it thinking, “is it really relic’d?” Yes, just very subtly.

I’ll knock the back of the neck down a bit to get a bit more smoothness. Then it’s time to get the setup tools out for a bit of “dialing in”. So far, I’m very pleased.

Thank you, friend. I like it very much! I feel it was done very tastefully. The nitro finish, excellent neck profile, light relic, and smooth single coils fill my stable nicely.

Running it through the Nobles is so buttery…a bit “chewy”. The single coils respond well to that OD.

the beauty of something like this is,

will you really get upset of you knock into something with it?

normally with any new guitar that first "DAG NABBIT" is always a bit of an emotional roller coaster... you get over it yea, but you're not happy about it for a day or so.

but with something this? hmm does not apply.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 08-09-2022, 09:41 AM

PTony, Very cool looking guitar! Great family as well,
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 08-09-2022, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Thats a good looking Telecaster Tony! 75th anniversary too! How nice. Whats that color called? Buttercreme? Enjoy it.
frank d.
Thanks, Frank! I like your taste! That’s a good question…it’s actually Vintage Blonde. I had a Buttercream Strat. Gorgeous color also.

Thanks for the kind words. Always appreciate the input.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-09-2022, 12:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty bradbury View Post
PTony, Very cool looking guitar! Great family as well,
Thank you very much, Marty! It’s been a journey. I suppose it will continue… but I’m very happy with my “fam”.
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-09-2022, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
PTony, that Vintera is relic'd just right IMO. It looks really good. I think that's the same color as my Noventa tele, and I like that color a lot. Congrats.
Thank you, Pappy. I agree. Very, very subtle. In all ways. From color, to “relic”. I just set it up yesterday with .10’s’ and am enjoying it very much so far. I’m excited to see how it ages with the Nitro
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 08-09-2022, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
the beauty of something like this is,

will you really get upset of you knock into something with it?

normally with any new guitar that first "DAG NABBIT" is always a bit of an emotional roller coaster... you get over it yea, but you're not happy about it for a day or so.

but with something this? hmm does not apply.
Absolutely! No concern, whatsoever. While setting it up I thought, “this is the first time I wouldn’t be upset about dropping this Screwdriver on the body”. Pretty weird feeling actually. Considering I’ve spent years trying to prevent damage from happening…
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS

Last edited by PTony; 08-09-2022 at 12:46 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars