The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 07-31-2022, 09:55 AM

Default Yamaha NTX3 vs NTX5

I already got the NTX3, so at this point it’s just academic, but what are the differences between the Yamaha NTX3 and NTX5 levels of guitars? I see the fretboard extends into the soundhole on the NTX5 and the wood choices are more exotic. I know the pickup system is the same. It is quite a jump in price. What justifies this?
Old 07-31-2022, 10:01 AM

I guess the same differences would be relevant for the NCX3 vs the NCX5 for anyone following or referencing this discussion later.
Old 07-31-2022, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
It is quite a jump in price. What justifies this?
Made in Japan versus made in China. You'll see the same price jump in other Yamaha products.
Old 07-31-2022, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastStrings View Post
Made in Japan versus made in China. You'll see the same price jump in other Yamaha products.

So it’s kind of like choosing a made in Mexico Tele over a US made model. That actually makes me feel better about choosing the NTX3 over the 5. In any case, the quality of the NTX3 appears to be outstanding.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:20 PM

Quote:
In any case, the quality of the NTX3 appears to be outstanding.
I'm of the opinion that the Atmosfeel pickup is what gives the NTX3 and NTX5 their greatest value-add. Both have it.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that the Atmosfeel pickup is what gives the NTX3 and NTX5 their greatest value-add. Both have it.

The Atmosfeel pickup was the deciding factor that made me choose this guitar. It is a beautiful acoustic instrument as well, but the pickup is what the audience hears.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
The Atmosfeel pickup was the deciding factor that made me choose this guitar. It is a beautiful acoustic instrument as well, but the pickup is what the audience hears.
What does your current amp setup look like? I'm fishing for future ideas.

With my NTX1 (which just has an under-saddle piezo and a 3-band preamp), I'm running it through a THR5A and blending it with the mic-modeling (~60% mic model and 40% piezo, either condenser or nylon).
Old 08-01-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
What does your current amp setup look like? I'm fishing for future ideas.

With my NTX1 (which just has an under-saddle piezo and a 3-band preamp), I'm running it through a THR5A and blending it with the mic-modeling (~60% mic model and 40% piezo, either condenser or nylon).

I have collected a number of acoustic amps over the years. Lately I’ve been playing through an EV 30M if I’m supplying my own sound. If I am plugging into a house PA, I’m mostly using a Yamaha THR30iiA, pointing it at myself, and running the line out to the PA. I use a little modeled mic in with the real mic blend.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Lately I’ve been playing through an EV 30M if I’m supplying my own sound. If I am plugging into a house PA, I’m mostly using a Yamaha THR30iiA, pointing it at myself, and running the line out to the PA.
Nice rigs! I'm also shopping the used market for a THR30iiA. They're not too common even in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. It's easier to find the regular THR30ii.
Old 08-02-2022, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Nice rigs! I'm also shopping the used market for a THR30iiA. They're not too common even in the greater San Francisco Bay Area. It's easier to find the regular THR30ii.

If you do find one used, make sure to update the firmware. The original firmware had a number of problems, including:

1) There was no input gain adjustment and the amount of gain set was too weak for many acoustic guitar outputs.
2) If you left the G10T wireless transmitter plugged into the guitar input jack (as you need to do to charge it), and it was in “eco mode”, it would slowly start to discharge after it finished charging and thus not always be ready when you went to use it.

The firmware update adds an input gain adjustment, and fixes the eco mode discharge issue.

Updating the firmware is a bit of a pain. You can’t do it from the phone or tablet app. You need to do it from a computer. Not only that, but you have to have the latest version of the PC/Mac app. If you have an older version of the app, it won’t even tell you there is an update available, so you have to uninstall and reinstall the app. All this is frustrating.

None-the-less, with updated firmware, the THR30iiA is quite a nice unit.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical