The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-02-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampix View Post
Very nice thing to do for your son Chickee! I hadn’t heard of the brand so I’ll now have to look into it. I’m down to my Squier strat and thought I’d be satisfied…but…a tele project would be so much fun.

Be sure and post pics of the finished product. I like the components you’ve selected so far. Good call on the tuners btw.

If I lived closer I’d try to get an invite and join you and Sal for some bread and whatever…but you’re a long way from the Rockies.

Cheers
When i do the run to Missoula, Montana rampix,we can break bread together then!
Old 08-02-2022, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
That's a good looking guitar, Frank! Awesome gift for your son!

- Glenn
This is going to be a cool little hot rod when I'm done with it Willow!!!
fd

Last edited by Chickee; 08-02-2022 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

It does look like a cool Tele type hot rod. What a sweet finish !

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 08-02-2022, 08:30 PM

Default A New Modding Project/Delivered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
It does look like a cool Tele type hot rod. What a sweet finish !

Hey Joe, I got to play for about an hour uninterrupted this afternoon. Everything works as it should and honestly if I wasn’t such a but-in-ski I could easily see leaving this guitar totally stock and live happily ever after.

But I’ve learned enough over these oh so many years, you can take an average guitar with good bones, and with a couple of well selected bits and pieces, turn that axe into a superstar!

This guitar is going to be my smallest investment, biggest return in performance I’ve ever done. I can feel it.
frank d.

Last edited by Chickee; 08-02-2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2022, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

I really love the finish on this Frank, AND it plays and sounds good too? That's awesome.
The maple fretboard looks like it's played in already, nice...

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 08-03-2022, 07:25 AM

Quote:
I really love the finish on this Frank, AND it plays and sounds good too? That's awesome.
The maple fretboard looks like it's played in already, nice...
Honestly Joe, you or I could take this guitar on any gig and be comfortable playing it all night. Volume and tone knobs feel a touch inexpensive but perform the way they are suppose to. Three way Selector is silent. Belly, forearm and neck joint bevels all feel great. If i handed you this guitar and you were blindfolded, you would swear its a $2k guitar’s neck you are playing. Better than Fender, better than Gibson. I never had a neck feel like this that didn't have a ton of work done on it. It looks great, weighs about 7 and a little pounds. Balances well. Its not logical a sub $400 guitar can be this good, and come out of China to boot. Everything changes, nothing stays the same.
frank
Old 08-03-2022, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

I was interested in what this EART T-style guitar sounded like and I thought this video was helpful. The guy playing is a good player.

It's a good sounding guitar from my viewpoint!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2022, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
Honestly Joe, you or I could take this guitar on any gig and be comfortable playing it all night. Volume and tone knobs feel a touch inexpensive but perform the way they are suppose to. Three way Selector is silent. Belly, forearm and neck joint bevels all feel great. If i handed you this guitar and you were blindfolded, you would swear its a $2k guitar’s neck you are playing. Better than Fender, better than Gibson. I never had a neck feel like this that didn't have a ton of work done on it. It looks great, weighs about 7 and a little pounds. Balances well. Its not logical a sub $400 guitar can be this good, and come out of China to boot. Everything changes, nothing stays the same.
frank
The neck is usually a problem area in inexpensive guitars, the frets are usually awful. This really is an amazing buy, that I would probably go for if I didn't A)already own a Tele, and B) I don't play a whole lot of electric gigs anymore.
I am enjoying this thread Frank because you are doing this with/for your son and it's cool to see inexpensive but good quality stuff being used and modded.

Quote:
I was interested in what this EART T-style guitar sounded like and I thought this video was helpful. The guy playing is a good player.

- Glenn
Thanks for sharing Glenn!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 PM

This Phillip Mc Knight video(below)sealed the deal for me to persue this build. Also the Gotoh tuners arrived today. The only thing I have left to be delivered is a small, fine tooth coping saw to notch the pickguard where EART, at what would be the twenty third fret, put the rotary dial for the truss rod!! Come on, you Cats thought of everything when building/designing this neck! I can’t get enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUj4Yfjafmg

These are just beautiful!

The rotary dial for truss rod adjustment. Real cool! This is where I will need to notch the Fender pick guard .
Old 08-03-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:

- Glenn
Quote:
The neck is usually a problem area in inexpensive guitars, the frets are usually awful. This really is an amazing buy, that I would probably go for if I didn't A)already own a Tele, and B) I don't play a whole lot of electric gigs anymore.
I am enjoying this thread Frank because you are doing this with/for your son and it's cool to see inexpensive but good quality stuff being used and modded.

Thanks for sharing Glenn!

Glenn, Joe,

This fellow could be my brother from another mother!!! We have the same meaty mitts!😹😂😹

He, like Phillip McKnight, call it the way they see it. Pull no punches, say what it is in black and white. They say there is good stuff, there is poor stuff, and then there is the neck! End of story. I’m in hook, line and sinker.

Thank you boys!!
Frank D.
Old 08-03-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Glad you thought the video was helpful, Frank!

Have fun when your son arrives! That will be great for you!

- Glenn
Old 08-03-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Glad you thought the video was helpful, Frank!

Have fun when your son arrives! That will be great for you!

- Glenn
And you have a house full right now too, don’t you Willow?

I’m trying to get my brother Tony and his wife here before the summer ends. COVID threw us a curve ball the last couple of years, and they still haven’t been to the new house. He is a high risk with a lot of respiratory issues since childhood, so we kept him away at the worst of the pandemic. But it’s time to get him out here now!

Hope this finds you and yours well, Glenn!
fd
Old 08-04-2022, 06:24 AM

So, the last two parts list items(shielding tape and a coping saw) have to be delivered, then this project gets put on the back burner till my son arrives at the end of the month.
Taking some advice from fellow forumite GoPappy, I asked my son if he would like me to wait for him to arrive so we could do the build together while he was here. He was genuinely happy I asked, and I an so happy I did.
I’ll get back with pictures and a review at the end of the month!
Old 08-04-2022, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
So, the last two parts list items(shielding tape and a coping saw) have to be delivered, then this project gets put on the back burner till my son arrives at the end of the month.
Taking some advice from fellow forumite GoPappy, I asked my son if he would like me to wait for him to arrive so we could do the build together while he was here. He was genuinely happy I asked, and I an so happy I did.
I’ll get back with pictures and a review at the end of the month!
Looking forward to it Frank!

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

Old 08-04-2022, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
And you have a house full right now too, don’t you Willow?

I’m trying to get my brother Tony and his wife here before the summer ends. COVID threw us a curve ball the last couple of years, and they still haven’t been to the new house. He is a high risk with a lot of respiratory issues since childhood, so we kept him away at the worst of the pandemic. But it’s time to get him out here now!

Hope this finds you and yours well, Glenn!
fd
I'm doing fine, Frank. We do have a house full, and it's fun!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about the conclusion of your project with your son. What a cool thing for you two to do together!

And I do hope you can get Tony and his wife over to your place, too. Summer's a good time for visiting, for sure!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars