The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-12-2022, 08:57 AM

Default Mobile Phone Recording

I'd like to do simple (read: inexpensive) recordings to listen to my practice sessions, hearing what my audience would hear. Or direct comparisons for my neverending string searches. I was thinking of a microphone for my phone, which does not have a 3.5 mm jack, but most mobile phone microphones seem to be focused to podcasting or gamer junk. Do any of you have recommendations for a relatively decent mobile phone microphone, bluetooth or USB-C connection maybe?
Old 07-12-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

A few months ago I bought a Shure MV 88+ mic to record with when I came up with a tune I'd forget by the next day. The Shure works really well for that. I have an iPhone, but it works with Android phones as well. There are two versions, the standard (no +) and the +. The main difference is that the standard version plugs right into your phone while the + version has a cable that plugs into the phone. The advantage of that is that you can get the mic away from the phone. It works best to have the mic up close to the guitar but, assuming you want video as well so you can see what your fretting hand was doing, it's best to have the camera back a ways. If you have the mic attached to the phone but put the phone several feet away you'll get all the room reflections.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you don't need video, or you don't care about the audio quality so much, the standard version would work.

Take a look in the Recording forum. There have been discussions about phone mics there.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Most newer smart phones have pretty decent mics built in - the problem is frequently getting the phone set-up in a good height/orientation. You might try getting a small tripod/clamp set-up that will easily let you set your phone up in front of you (you guitar) at the right location & distance, and you might be surprised at how decent a recording you can get -
Old 07-12-2022, 11:27 AM

As stated, easy enough to just use the phone mic but if you get a USB mic and an OTG cable and you're good to go for external mic/better recordings. USB mic I've used was a Blue Yeti.
Old 07-12-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
A few months ago I bought a Shure MV 88+ mic to record with when I came up with a tune I'd forget by the next day. The Shure works really well for that. I have an iPhone, but it works with Android phones as well. There are two versions, the standard (no +) and the +. The main difference is that the standard version plugs right into your phone while the + version has a cable that plugs into the phone. The advantage of that is that you can get the mic away from the phone. It works best to have the mic up close to the guitar but, assuming you want video as well so you can see what your fretting hand was doing, it's best to have the camera back a ways. If you have the mic attached to the phone but put the phone several feet away you'll get all the room reflections.

If you don't need video, or you don't care about the audio quality so much, the standard version would work.

Take a look in the Recording forum. There have been discussions about phone mics there.
Thanks! Ended up ordering the kit with Shure MV88+ video kit with the tripod. I'll record audio mainly but I may want to watch my hands occasionally...I'll play around with it when it comes in. Didn't realize there was a Recording forum, maybe I should look around before I post.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
Thanks! Ended up ordering the kit with Shure MV88+ video kit with the tripod. I'll record audio mainly but I may want to watch my hands occasionally...I'll play around with it when it comes in. Didn't realize there was a Recording forum, maybe I should look around before I post.
Their app is pretty nice too. You can set the mic pattern, recording levels and some other stuff. Once you get those set you can just plug it in and go. I have mine set up on a makeshift stand with a mount to hold the phone and mic. I just plug in the phone, start the app, and am ready to go. You'll want to monkey around initially to find the best position for the mic.

Yeah, and lots of helpful info in the recording forum.
Old 07-12-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Most newer smart phones have pretty decent mics built in - the problem is frequently getting the phone set-up in a good height/orientation. You might try getting a small tripod/clamp set-up that will easily let you set your phone up in front of you (you guitar) at the right location & distance, and you might be surprised at how decent a recording you can get -
This is very true. I did a test between my phone and portable recorders. You can't tell the difference. The key is to move the phone off the table (to avoid the sound reflection).

https://soundcloud.com/user-70247906...able-recorders
Old 07-13-2022, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post

I got the regular version (without the +) and I truly regret not getting the + version for exactly the reason you described... I even purchased an extension cord to make up but still it's not as good.
Old 07-14-2022, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFtinkerer View Post
Good luck, looks like a great set up. If you happen to be familiar with Mary Chapin Carpenter, she posted around 40 music vids from her farm home during the live music shutdown. They were top quality A/V all around. I asked on her FB site if she would share her equipment, and she took pride in posting it was all just an iPhone! I would have guessed she had her sound engineer set up a studio, it was so good.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD