The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-08-2022, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Default Enya Nova Go - Experience / Pickup Options

Good Morning! My first visit to the Carbon Fiber section of the forum. As you can see in my signature, I have several solid wood guitars and I'm definitely drawn to vintage tone. I've played several CF guitars and I've been very impressed with them but the tone isn't really what I'm looking for and dang the good ones are expensive!!

So in my online rambling this morning I came across the Enya Nova Go, checked out a bunch of YouTube videos and I really feel like this is exactly what I'm looking for in a travel guitar. CHEAP, durable and sounds kinda like a guitar for being a guitar shaped object. I would like to be able to install a pickup in it in case I happen to stumble across an open mic or something while traveling. Any clue how a pickup could be installed in one of these? It doesn't have to be a particularly good pickup, a UST or SBT would work fine, I just want plugging in to be an option.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 07-08-2022, 06:10 PM

Thumbs up

Enya Go AI with the AcousticPlus pickup and effects is already on sale in some Asian locations (see YouTube vids).

Got an email from Enya in Houston saying that they expect to have stock of the AcousticPlus version in sept/oct.

Based on the similar Enya Pro tenor ukulele the price difference between the Acoustic and the AcousticPlus might be $100. And save the hassle of installation in tight spaces.

I’m waiting *very very* impatiently!!!

Am trying to resist the temptation to get a plain one now (only $230), and then get an AcousticPlus version in sept.

I’ve played the tenor uke which is very nice. I’m expecting the Enya Go to play like a 1/2 size guitar (tennis racket size), and much better than a guitar shaped object.

Cheers.
2014 Fender Concert Pro (New Hartford) - red spruce, mahogany
Old 07-08-2022, 07:18 PM

Top: Carbon Fiber & Polycarbonate
Back&Sides: Carbon Fiber & Polycarbonate
Neck: Carbon Fiber & Polycarbonate
Fretboard: Radius - Carbon Fiber & Polycarbonate

Nut Width: 1-5/8”
Scale Length: 23-1/8"

Total Length: 35"
Lower Bout: 11-3/4"
Body Depth: 2-7/8"
Strings: D'Addario® EXP16

Weight: 3.7 lbs

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-08-2022 at 07:34 PM.
Old 07-08-2022, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

I checked out a bunch of videos before starting this thread and honestly I am impressed with the product so far. Unlike the more expensive CF counterparts it’s not going to be replacing my solid wood guitars and I really don’t want it to. But for an inexpensive and VERY durable travel guitar I think it’s a great bargain. I’m thinking hard about pulling the trigger. If there was an easy way to get a JJB or Journey pickup in it I would have ordered already. I’m considering the smart guitar version but I just don’t want all of those electronic bells and whistles. I just want to be able to plug in when the opportunity arises.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-08-2022, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
If there was an easy way to get a JJB or Journey pickup in it I would have ordered already.
Gotcha. Here’s how I figured it (before hearing about the Plus version)

1. Access

- drill a hole for the output jack 2-3” below the strap end pin (I’d drill outdoors to avoid having carbon dust indoors)
- there is a direct line of sight from the sound port to the jack
- carve one end of bamboo or copper pipe to hold the jack assembly, insert through sound port to the jack hole (like installing a spark plug)
- (alternately, use thin thread or fishing line tied to the jack and pull into the jack hole)

2. Finagle the jack nuts

- set the inside nut and washer to the right depth before inserting into the hole
- install the outside washer and nut

3. Find the best spots for the pickup contacts

- before assembly do a dry run by taping contacts to the outside of the sound board and moving about to get best sound
- figure out how to fasten wires to avoid rattles
- after inserting the jack, install the contacts inside at the right places using the double sided tape or putty provided
- use a stick or dowel to help tape down wires as needed

4. Other

- JourneyTek, JJB, K&K, Schefter, etc install similar way
- the Amplifiers sub-forum has threads discussing ins and outs of similar installs
- YouTube has vids of similar installs

Cheers
Old 07-09-2022, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Gotcha. Here’s how I figured it (before hearing about the Plus version)

1. Access

- drill a hole for the output jack 2-3” below the strap end pin (I’d drill outdoors to avoid having carbon dust indoors)
- there is a direct line of sight from the sound port to the jack
- carve one end of bamboo or copper pipe to hold the jack assembly, insert through sound port to the jack hole (like installing a spark plug)
- (alternately, use thin thread or fishing line tied to the jack and pull into the jack hole)

2. Finagle the jack nuts

- set the inside nut and washer to the right depth before inserting into the hole
- install the outside washer and nut

3. Find the best spots for the pickup contacts

- before assembly do a dry run by taping contacts to the outside of the sound board and moving about to get best sound
- figure out how to fasten wires to avoid rattles
- after inserting the jack, install the contacts inside at the right places using the double sided tape or putty provided
- use a stick or dowel to help tape down wires as needed

4. Other

- JourneyTek, JJB, K&K, Schefter, etc install similar way
- the Amplifiers sub-forum has threads discussing ins and outs of similar installs
- YouTube has vids of similar installs

Cheers
I’ve installed a bunch of pickups so that’s not the problem. The problem is there is no access to the inside of the soundboard to place the transducer discs. Here’s a clear pic of the guitar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9F2F461A-F38E-4986-B02B-AE2B8E36F869.jpg (16.6 KB, 247 views)
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 07-09-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Don't ever drop a pick in there
Old 07-09-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Mick View Post
I’ve installed a bunch of pickups so that’s not the problem. The problem is there is no access to the inside of the soundboard to place the transducer discs. Here’s a clear pic of the guitar.

Sorry I didn’t get the problem.

To place the transducer discs I’d turn the guitar face down so gravity holds the transducers in position, and use a long stick or spatula though the sound port hole to position the transducers and press them into place.

Last edited by casualmusic; 07-09-2022 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 03:46 PM

Default Enya Nova Go - Experience / Pickup Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by casualmusic View Post
Sorry I didn’t get the problem.

To place the transducer discs I’d turn the guitar face down so gravity holds the transducers in position, and use a long stick or spatula though the sound port hole to position the transducers and press them into place.

Okay- you go first. [emoji846]

Last edited by steelvibe; 07-09-2022 at 05:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:26 PM
Charter Member

Yeah, a pointed stick ! That will work. LOL j/k
Old 07-09-2022, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

I know you can't determine much from a YouTube video, but the video where the young lady compared several other guitars with this Nova Go sure made the guitar sound weak... even the Baby Taylor sounded better. Yes, I get it: it is a $200 half-size carbon fiber guitar that is also a thin body.

I had a Washburn Rover travel guitar many years ago (it was better than the Martin Backpacker at the time, which isn't saying much), that reminds me a bit of the sound of This Nova Go. Proof that you can get too small to get a satisfying tone.

I know: what do you expect? From what I heard, it is about what I expected. Not trying to rain on anyone's travel parade here.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:43 PM

The instrument has a tiny hole in the saddle slot that looks like it's intended for an under saddle piezo. Given the side soundhole, I don't think it'll be all that difficult to do a jack install, especially if you don't intend to do internal electronics.

An outside mounted contact piezo would be the quick and dirty solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I know you can't determine much from a YouTube video, but the video where the young lady compared several other guitars with this Nova Go sure made the guitar sound weak... even the Baby Taylor sounded better. Yes, I get it: it is a $200 half-size carbon fiber guitar that is also a thin body.

I had a Washburn Rover travel guitar many years ago (it was better than the Martin Backpacker at the time, which isn't saying much), that reminds me a bit of the sound of This Nova Go. Proof that you can get too small to get a satisfying tone.

I know: what do you expect? From what I heard, it is about what I expected. Not trying to rain on anyone's travel parade here.
I was pleasantly surprised. Even side by side with a Baby Taylor.
Old 07-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim E View Post
The instrument has a tiny hole in the saddle slot that looks like it's intended for an under saddle piezo. Given the side soundhole, I don't think it'll be all that difficult to do a jack install, especially if you don't intend to do internal electronics.

An outside mounted contact piezo would be the quick and dirty solution.

I was pleasantly surprised. Even side by side with a Baby Taylor.
Good to hear your hands (and ears) on experience. I was going by what I heard in the video, and we all know that is hard to determine tone. But, using other guitars as a comparison in the same video usually gives some idea of what to expect.
Old 07-10-2022, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Good to hear your hands (and ears) on experience. I was going by what I heard in the video, and we all know that is hard to determine tone. But, using other guitars as a comparison in the same video usually gives some idea of what to expect.
I'm not taking sides, but I side with Jim on this, what I heard sounded like a plastic toy guitar. I hope I'm wrong, but I would likely buy a $200. Yamaha wood guitar and take my chances if I couldn't afford to step up to one of the other CF travel guitars. Matter of fact I did...I bought a $250. Kala Parlor that works well for travel when there's no room for the Sable.
Old 07-10-2022, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
I'm not taking sides, but I side with Jim on this, what I heard sounded like a plastic toy guitar. I hope I'm wrong, but I would likely buy a $200. Yamaha wood guitar and take my chances if I couldn't afford to step up to one of the other CF travel guitars. Matter of fact I did...I bought a $250. Kala Parlor that works well for travel when there's no room for the Sable.
Heh. I like how you're not taking sides, but this is the side you're taking. And you'd rather buy a wood Yamaha, if you were in the market for such a guitar, which you are not, so it's a moot point anyway.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber