The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-13-2022, 07:42 AM

Default Saddle issue?

I just bought a used guitar online that has what appears to be a strip of paper wedged behind the saddle. Not sure about the history of the guitar, but I did get it for a better price than I expected (maybe for a reason). Is this anything to be concerned about?
Old 07-13-2022, 07:58 AM
Charter Member

It looks like the saddle slot is a little too wide for the saddle, which happens. You don't want that in general because it can cause the saddle to lean forward which can eventually crack the front of the bridge. To compensate someone shimmed it with a piece of paper, which is probably a decent short term fix as long as the saddle isn't leaning. If it were my guitar I'd order a bone saddle from Bob Colosi and sand to fit. Bob makes his saddles a little bit wide so that you will likely have a nice tight fit when you are done. If you don't feel comfortable sanding your own saddle I believe you can send the saddle to Bob and he will make a copy for you that is just a hair thicker.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 07-13-2022, 08:01 AM

Boozehound kind of nails it.

I worked in a music store as a teacher a while back and watched the repair guys do all kinds of spot fix mitigations like this

I agree, it's a temporary fix. a new saddle should be easy enough to fit in there.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:03 AM

Default a thought

Time for some measuring and thinking.

First, test the intonation. If it's good, then be careful that whatever saddle changes are made, the intonation doesn't get disturbed.

Next, take out the saddle and measure its thickness. Also measure the saddle slot. Both are commonly 3/32" or 1/8" thick. If there's a 3/32" saddle in a 1/8" slot, there's the answer about the paper. Somebody wanted to change the saddle and onlu had a 3/32" saddle and the slot is for a 1/8" thick saddle. Paper made up the difference.

Install a saddle whose thickness matches the slot. Test/adjust intonation.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:07 AM

Probably fine but best to have a new saddle made that fits properly.
Old 07-13-2022, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

I have faced that situation some times. For a shim I use a strip of clear plastic blister pack material. I have collected many thicknesses of the stuff. Choose front of or behind the saddle, depending on what influence on intonation you want. Compared to paper, plastic is harder and less influenced by humidity. This may or may not make a difference, but seems to me like something to consider. You can cut any shim material so it does not show above the bridge.

A new saddle offers opportunities to correct the fit into the slot, but more importantly the intonation, and that opens up more possibilities, or another can of worms.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:36 PM

A new saddle is best (as pointed out above), but depending on how much additional thickness is needed, a piece of paper saturated with CA can be
applied to the saddle and quickly trimmed down/sanded to perfect the fit.
Priming with a little baking soda helps, I think.
An imperfect but often satisfactory solution that can also be useful for correcting a too-low nut, when applied to its bottom.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:46 PM

Thanks all!
Old 07-13-2022, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Hard to tell from the pic but looks like the bridge is starting to lift

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair