The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-02-2022, 05:06 PM

Default The AGF Songwriting Club

In my songwriting workshop thread another member suggested we try something similar on AGF. I thought it was a great idea and hope that you do too.

For this thread, every two weeks we will come up with a songwriting prompt and then submit an original song to be commented on by others. This is not intended as a competition but a supportive environment to foster creativity and collaboration. It doesn't need to stick closely to the prompt either - whatever you come up with, feel free to share. Also feel free to post your works in progress before the deadline and collaborate with others. Who knows - we could come up with some great co-written songs!

The first prompt is: the sea. The deadline for posting your song inspired by the sea is on or before Monday the 15th of August. A new prompt will then be announced on Tuesday the 16th August. Feel free to suggest future prompts in the thread - I know mine isn't anything revolutionary but I thought something open-ended would be a good start to things.

I very much look forward to hearing your submissions! And again, if you write something quickly feel free to post before the deadline.

Old 08-02-2022, 05:11 PM

I like it. I’ll try to participate when I have time.
Old 08-02-2022, 05:56 PM
Charter Member

I will get over the fact that I hate listening to my recorded voice and participate
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-02-2022, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

A few years ago, a few members here did similar with a fingerstyle arranging thread in this sub-forum. We picked a tune and each arranged it for fingerstyle guitar, making comments about our individual processes, etc. The stipulation was that to post in the thread, you had to be actually doing the arranging and playing.

This worked well for those who participated and I think should be quite successful for songwriters. I am not a songwriter (so this is my only post in the thread...), but I wish you all the best for the success of this thread.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-02-2022, 07:38 PM

This is a great idea, and I’m going to try to participate if the schedule allows.
Old 08-02-2022, 07:39 PM

This kinda thing can be great fun,, did a lot of this kinda theme colab stuff on the electric guitar forums.. some cat would throw up a drum track and perhaps some keys and a bass line.. and other folks would come up with some guitar ideas.. looking forward to seeing where this goes... if I knew more about acoustic playing I would throw in.l but it will be fun to see what you cats come up with..

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.
Old 08-03-2022, 05:37 AM
Charter Member

I've recently finished one called "The water and the waves" so I might be a bit tapped out of nautical inspiration but if I don't get anything going on this one I will join in the next.
Lowden S32J
Guild F-512e (Spruce/Rosewood)
Old 08-03-2022, 05:58 PM

Thanks to all those who have shown interest - I'm really looking forward to your contributions.

Last night as I was drifting off to sleep a chorus entered my head - "let the sea carry me home". I quickly recorded it on my iPhone before going to sleep then tonight started working on the song. I'm pleased to say I wrote it very quickly, in about fifteen minutes, and I think it's finished. I hope you enjoy and please do leave your comments and feedback.

This was recorded on my Zoom H2N as I had to lend my audio interface to a friend - will post a better quality recording soon.

Let The Sea Carry Me Home

It’s been oh so long since I’ve set foot on land
I’m tired and sick to the bone
The sun beats upon me as I row and row
Let the sea carry me home

I’m miles and miles away from the shore

The seagulls like angels encircle my boat
And sing like a siren all day
The sky and my compass are all that I have
To guide me on my way

When I die please scatter my ashes on the sand
And let the sea swallow me
I’ll travel the four corners of the globe
And see all there is to see

Old 08-03-2022, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Nice that there's some interest. I'm a land lubber, but I see what comes up.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxo View Post
"let the sea carry me home".
I enjoyed listening to your song. I liked the song in general, and your singing and guitar playing was great too.

At first, I thought it's a song about hating the sea... maybe a shipwrecked person trying to get to land or something. But the last verse seems to show that he actually likes the sea. An interesting turn of events for me as the listener.
Old 08-04-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I enjoyed listening to your song. I liked the song in general, and your singing and guitar playing was great too.

At first, I thought it's a song about hating the sea... maybe a shipwrecked person trying to get to land or something. But the last verse seems to show that he actually likes the sea. An interesting turn of events for me as the listener.
Thanks for listening and commenting Jack - glad you enjoyed.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
A few years ago, a few members here did similar with a fingerstyle arranging thread in this sub-forum. We picked a tune and each arranged it for fingerstyle guitar, making comments about our individual processes, etc. The stipulation was that to post in the thread, you had to be actually doing the arranging and playing.

This worked well for those who participated and I think should be quite successful for songwriters. I am not a songwriter (so this is my only post in the thread...), but I wish you all the best for the success of this thread.

Tony
Maybe you are referring to a thread I started about people making up their own arrangement on a tune I posted.
Thread called "Arrange A Melody" and current link (these sort of links tend to become inaccurate after a while)
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=466087

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-05-2022, 05:04 PM

How are we all getting on? Anyone got any works in progress to share? Anyone else fancy joining in?

Old 08-05-2022, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How are we all getting on? Anyone got any works in progress to share? Anyone else fancy joining in?
Working on getting a decent sound with a new set up. Once I get that dialed in I will record a song I'm working on. It is not necessarily about the sea but it does reference the coast, the sea, wild horses, pirates, airplanes and a room with a view
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-15-2022, 09:48 AM

Quote:
In my songwriting workshop thread another member suggested we try something similar on AGF. I thought it was a great idea and hope that you do too.

For this thread, every two weeks we will come up with a songwriting prompt and then submit an original song to be commented on by others. This is not intended as a competition but a supportive environment to foster creativity and collaboration. It doesn't need to stick closely to the prompt either - whatever you come up with, feel free to share. Also feel free to post your works in progress before the deadline and collaborate with others. Who knows - we could come up with some great co-written songs!

The first prompt is: the sea. The deadline for posting your song inspired by the sea is on or before Monday the 15th of August. A new prompt will then be announced on Tuesday the 16th August. Feel free to suggest future prompts in the thread - I know mine isn't anything revolutionary but I thought something open-ended would be a good start to things.

I very much look forward to hearing your submissions! And again, if you write something quickly feel free to post before the deadline.
what if you are more of an instrumental kinda of player? i really dont write lyrics anymore.. not since my punk days.. lol but i do have a few open G kinda ideas that might have "the sea" kinda theme... and there is a ton of electric ideas i explored in the past.. but those are a bit weird and electric ..
but on the acoustic side of things... you will have to make allowances for awful recording technique... all my efforts before acoustic was done with some nice digital audio work station ... now its just an the mic on an I phone ,, still it would be nice to see some forum participation ,,,

Scuzzo
https://soundclick.com/Scuzzo

Electric Cowbell Project
https://soundclick.com/r/bkpli

Sorry,, it's a bit hacky, and it's all electric, new to the acoustic thing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write