The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 07-28-2022, 01:38 PM

Go to a reputable store.

Play a bunch of guitars in your price range.

Buy the one you like.

Have someone who knows how to set it up appropriately do so.

Play it alot at home.

Play it alot with other musicians.

Start to understand how all the parts work. Ask alot of questions.

Start to mod your axe with good quality parts.

Now you have entered the gear acquisition zone.....
2022 Guild F-2512E
1985 Tokai Love Rock
Old 07-28-2022, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog26 View Post
Go to a reputable store.

Play a bunch of guitars in your price range.

Buy the one you like.

Have someone who knows how to set it up appropriately do so.

Play it alot at home.

Play it alot with other musicians.

Start to understand how all the parts work. Ask alot of questions.

Start to mod your axe with good quality parts.

Now you have entered the gear acquisition zone.....
Sounds good!
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 07-29-2022, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Hi Marty,

This might be something to consider, a Squire Classic Vibe Strat with Fender Champ 100 combo amp.

- Glenn
Old 07-29-2022, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Marty,

This might be something to consider, a Squire Classic Vibe Strat with Fender Champ 100 combo amp.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn. Will take a look when I get home.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:14 AM

Hey Marty, as mentioned you need to factor in an amp as well. Sounds like you're interesting in a Strat or Tele so you have direction. Classic Vibe has some great options.

Play a bunch of them to get a comfort level. Then, before you leave the store (and before you buy), pick up a 24 3/4" scale length guitar with humbuckers to see if you like it. For example, an Epiphone Les Paul or SG.
Old 07-29-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
If comfort is as much a priority as the cool factor, playability, and available tones, the one and only Jazzmaster is your ticket. There is nothing more comfortable to play seated than a Jazzmaster, except maybe for a Jaguar!🎶😎🎶
The Telecaster is my electric guitar "hometown." I think the Vintage Vibe and CV level Squiers can supply a lot of what I look for in a Telecaster at a reasonable price. I have played/owned a variety of American and Mexican and Japanese factory Fender-branded Teles, and I find that level of Squier as valid an instrument. Yes, there are differences -- but then someone like me who goes through and plays a lot of different electric guitars enjoys differences.

I'd expect the similar level Squier Strats to deliver the same thing, only Stratocasterish, though I've never owned one.

But let me suggest trying a Squier Jazzmaster too. Yes, the Jazzmaster is something of a trendy guitar right now, but it's really an undervalued design as more have found out now that affordable versions in the Squier line are out there. I've owned a Squier J Mascis model Jazzmaster since shortly after they came out. As Chickee mentions, it fits well playing sitting (and standing too). The trem system works as well or better than the Strats more common design I think. The Mascis model has something more like a set of P90 pickup than the classic Jazzmasters models. As this thread began, there were posts on choosing between single coils and humbuckers. Well, a good P90 is in the space between those two things. Yes, it's a single coil, but it kicks and had more midrange than most single coils, and it's pick attack, volume knob, and gain responsive in a very pleasing way that goes from mellow to grindy sounds. The Macis and classic Jazzmasters also have the rhythm circuit that lets the neck pickup get close to the classic Tele neck pu with the tone rolled off a bit "fake jazz box" mellow tone. Another feature of the Macis model is that it features a standard tune-o-matic type saddle. The "true" Jazzmaster have a rocking saddle that is sometimes a bit fiddley to get setup and used to with modern slinky electric string gauges.

Having loved my Macis Jazzmaster I wanted to try "real Jazzmaster" pickups and didn't want to remove the ones in my Mascis which I liked even if they aren't "authentic." I got a deal on an open box set of Fender Jazzmaster pickups and finally splurged on a regular Squier Jazzmaster which would host these vintage style pickups in my clever plan.

Guess what happened? I played my last live in the studio band session earlier this year largely with that new Squier Jazzmaster. Holy Cow! The stock pickups lack for nothing. Yes, they do sound different from the P90 types in the Mascis Jazzmaster, but they deliver a lot of great sound in that difference.

OP, enjoy your search. Have you a plan for an amplifier?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-29-2022, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Lots of great info on various makes and models of electric guitars already, but Marty? You should know that the AMPLIFIER through which you play is a HUGE part of the sound...

I do not believe you will get a decent pair (guitar and amp) in your $500 range; don't forget, you are going to need cables and strap and all that, as well as the aforementioned setup. Get out and play a bunch and see what you really like, and then search out your best deals.

A big difference between acoustic and electric guitars is that there will be much more similarity between same models of same brands than with, say, a Martin D-28, where you could line up a dozen of them and each one would sound and feel a bit different, but there's probably one of those that REALLY does it for you. Much more likely that you would play a dozen Teles and feel that 10 of them are just fine.

Welcome to yet another rabbit-hole to go down!!!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-30-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Marty, as mentioned you need to factor in an amp as well. Sounds like you're interesting in a Strat or Tele so you have direction. Classic Vibe has some great options.

Play a bunch of them to get a comfort level. Then, before you leave the store (and before you buy), pick up a 24 3/4" scale length guitar with humbuckers to see if you like it. For example, an Epiphone Les Paul or SG.
Hi Dru. Great advise! Thank you,
Old 07-30-2022, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The Telecaster is my electric guitar "hometown." I think the Vintage Vibe and CV level Squiers can supply a lot of what I look for in a Telecaster at a reasonable price. I have played/owned a variety of American and Mexican and Japanese factory Fender-branded Teles, and I find that level of Squier as valid an instrument. Yes, there are differences -- but then someone like me who goes through and plays a lot of different electric guitars enjoys differences.

I'd expect the similar level Squier Strats to deliver the same thing, only Stratocasterish, though I've never owned one.

But let me suggest trying a Squier Jazzmaster too. Yes, the Jazzmaster is something of a trendy guitar right now, but it's really an undervalued design as more have found out now that affordable versions in the Squier line are out there. I've owned a Squier J Mascis model Jazzmaster since shortly after they came out. As Chickee mentions, it fits well playing sitting (and standing too). The trem system works as well or better than the Strats more common design I think. The Mascis model has something more like a set of P90 pickup than the classic Jazzmasters models. As this thread began, there were posts on choosing between single coils and humbuckers. Well, a good P90 is in the space between those two things. Yes, it's a single coil, but it kicks and had more midrange than most single coils, and it's pick attack, volume knob, and gain responsive in a very pleasing way that goes from mellow to grindy sounds. The Macis and classic Jazzmasters also have the rhythm circuit that lets the neck pickup get close to the classic Tele neck pu with the tone rolled off a bit "fake jazz box" mellow tone. Another feature of the Macis model is that it features a standard tune-o-matic type saddle. The "true" Jazzmaster have a rocking saddle that is sometimes a bit fiddley to get setup and used to with modern slinky electric string gauges.

Having loved my Macis Jazzmaster I wanted to try "real Jazzmaster" pickups and didn't want to remove the ones in my Mascis which I liked even if they aren't "authentic." I got a deal on an open box set of Fender Jazzmaster pickups and finally splurged on a regular Squier Jazzmaster which would host these vintage style pickups in my clever plan.

Guess what happened? I played my last live in the studio band session earlier this year largely with that new Squier Jazzmaster. Holy Cow! The stock pickups lack for nothing. Yes, they do sound different from the P90 types in the Mascis Jazzmaster, but they deliver a lot of great sound in that difference.

OP, enjoy your search. Have you a plan for an amplifier?
Hi Frank. No Amp in mind yet.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Lots of great info on various makes and models of electric guitars already, but Marty? You should know that the AMPLIFIER through which you play is a HUGE part of the sound...

I do not believe you will get a decent pair (guitar and amp) in your $500 range; don't forget, you are going to need cables and strap and all that, as well as the aforementioned setup. Get out and play a bunch and see what you really like, and then search out your best deals.

A big difference between acoustic and electric guitars is that there will be much more similarity between same models of same brands than with, say, a Martin D-28, where you could line up a dozen of them and each one would sound and feel a bit different, but there's probably one of those that REALLY does it for you. Much more likely that you would play a dozen Teles and feel that 10 of them are just fine.

Welcome to yet another rabbit-hole to go down!!!
Hi Jseth, yep, going out this weekend to try a bunch.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post

The new Inspired By Gibson Epiphone Les Pauls are pretty incredible guitars. I played one yesterday up against a Gibson and, frankly, preferred the feel and sound of the Epi….for a lot less money.
Rb
Old 07-31-2022, 09:57 PM

In my experience Squiers are A-OK though they are likely to need some setup love, but then again, what doesn't.

I have a Squier Affinity tele which is quite nice. It was my first guitar of any kind and now that I know a little more, I am still happy with it when I pick it up. My G&L Comanche Tribute is nicer... but the Affinity didn't hold me back.

I also have a Squier "Vintage Modified" bass which is definitely a little nicer than the Affinity tele. I don't think this level is made any more but the Classic Vibe site above it in the hierarchy... I think? It's hard to keep it all straight.

But yeah, Squier is a contender. And as others have said, don't overlook Yamaha. Or even Ibanez.

A strat with a humbucker at the bridge (look for "HSS" strats) can be a good compromise instrument... Does a little of everything.

Since OP is new to electrics I very very much recommend getting some kind of budget digital modeler so you can experiment with many amp/cab combinations inexpensively. There are some good budget choices, and you can save a lot at first if you are OK playing with headphones, too.

The Nux Mighty Plug is pretty amazing sounding for the money. Mooer and Zoom are other budget modeler brands, each with some good options.

I have a Helix LT now, and I still use my Mighty Plug a lot: it's super convenient and sounds good 'nuff for practicing.

Just my two cents.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars