The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-25-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I don't move a single fader in my daw when recording, only during mixing.
Same here. I set the levels on the interface as needed (below clipping) and leave the levels in my DAW at unity while recording, then adjust as necessary during mixing.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 07-25-2022, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes, not enough inputs on my audient to use method #2. Regardless, it would still be paramount for me to evaluate real time with some compression. We all have our methods of which work best for us. I only only compressing a very small amount. I do still plan to compress afterwards as well.
I thought not enough connections might be the situation
And clarify with either method #1 or #2 you can still hear (and be able to evaluate real time) what the compression is doing while tracking .
Again the only functional difference is as noted, in #1 the compression is written/rendered into the recorded signal before mixing and cannot be undone ( the same as the old all analog days to tape)
#2 you can also hear the what the compression is doing while tracking (real time as you say ) or mixing,, but it is not written/rendered in to the signal,,,, until you export the project and it is then written into the WAV file,,,,, which is the way plugins work also in most major DAWs

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 07-25-2022, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Victor, logic doesnt have input levels, only output levels. You can even mute a channel and still record to it.

Your interface and software mixer may be different, but mine also has no effect on recording. Theres a gain control and determines the mic input level. Its a hardware knob as well. But the Mixer part is all about output. It has no affect with n recording. Unless i am doing something unusual, i never touch my interface software mixer. Turn on phantom, set the gain, and i wont need to look at it again for years.
Hi Doug,

I've never used Logic so so don't know if this applies but all the DAWs I have used do have input gain controls although they are not obvious and one needs to go in search of where to engage them. They're hidden for a reason.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Word descriptions can be so difficult sometimes. I am sure that I have come off as a bit kooky with some of my seemingly simple questions, and my proclaimed methods of operation. I sincerely apologize if have come off...too forward. I have only tried to be truthful about my weaknesses(of which I have a lot). And I also about my strong points. My desire it to learn and achieve. Not to debate.

I get stuck wanting to know why something is done in a certain way. I realize now, from the explanations given, that adjusting in the preamp solely & leaving at unity gain, is the correct procedure. Still it is in my nature to question why & or how then the DAW's input control is used. That fact that it is rarely used probably explains why they have such a small control knob.
No, sorry, no. My intent wasn't to criticize, only to encourage you to go forward, and offering (as an option) a way I've found helpful sometimes in viewing composition tasks, particularly careful "in the box" realization of compositions, after letting myself experience the opposite. I'm me, you're you. I'm sure Doug Young, KevWind and Jim1960 have their own outlooks, skillsets, experiences, and so on too. You seem to know yourself well. Jim, Kevin and Doug have more technical recording chops compared to me. The thing I hope/expect to bring this forum is that I've had recent experience facing the composition task many hundreds of times in the past few years.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-25-2022, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
They're hidden for a reason.
They put expiration dates on food for a very similar reason.
But seriously, while I know daw faders can be reassigned that way, in 20 years I've never had a reason to do it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 07-25-2022, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Hi Doug,

I've never used Logic so so don't know if this applies but all the DAWs I have used do have input gain controls although they are not obvious and one needs to go in search of where to engage them. They're hidden for a reason.
I'm not aware of any in Logic, hidden or otherwise. It's all up to the interface. Logic's level controls affect playback and input monitoring.

Every DAW can be different, of course, it's all software, so the developers can do anything they want. But Victor's using Logic.

Logic does support input control if you have an integrated interface that Logic knows about, in which case, logic displays the phantom and gain controls for the hardware interface right in the channel strip. I'm not sure which beyond Apogee Logic supports like this.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Recording ducks would be silly.
Yeah. All you get is a horrible quack, which we all try to avoid here on AGF.

Anyway, since the DAW faders control the output only, you *may* need to adjust them if you are needing to play along with previously recorded tracks. You can adjust the output so the mix in your headphones is what you want, without interfering with the input level at all.

Of course, if all you're recording is acoustic guitar in one take, no overdubbing, then you don't even need to worry about that.
Old 07-25-2022, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

There is an old saying, "Put a monkey all alone in a room with a typewriter, and eventually he may type out a sentence."

I may actually have something to add to our Tips & Tricks, management discussion. Got a two tips from a Person who has the exact same ASUS monitor as myself.

* If you remember from a previous thread, I was hoping to enlarge the Meters on my DAW. Of which there does not seem a way to do this.
He suggested a Plug in Meter. And Indeed it looks like not only can you separate this plug in and move it to the secondary monitor, but it also looks like you can very easily size it. Shown at the top right is 125%. I have an inquiry as to how large this can go.

This might also fit in with Jim1960's request for Other plug ins recommendations. I did not see any meter plug ins in his master list.

He is recommending Klanghelm. They have a standard and upgraded version. And I love VU's type metering. Much easier for me to read. Just what I am use to. Are there any other Meter plugs that you guys recommend?

**Further he can use all the ports on his monitor as a hub. He has his Ilok plugged into the back of the monitor as an example. I already bought a hub at your guys recommendations. However, you probably would have to run the monitor off one of the Mac ports first. I am currently using HDMI. Don't think it could work when you are powering through HDMI.

*** And for VI recommendations, I have found a VI forum called VI control. I found past posts recommending some of the specific type VI's I am interested in. Such as French Horn and Earth Sounds. The only problem there are so many recommendations for each subject matter. And the posts are 4 or 5 years old. Which makes me wonder if there are new programs that might be better yet. Still, a great place to start.
Old 07-25-2022, 08:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
This might also fit in with Jim1960's request for Other plug ins recommendations. I did not see any meter plug ins in his master list.
I didn't take note of which plugins had VU meters and which didn't, but the Klanghelm MJUC is on the list and that does, in fact, have a VU meter. That plugin is highly thought of. That doesn't mean the VUMT isn't good, just that I haven't heard a lot of chatter about it.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD