The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-23-2022, 11:07 PM

You want about 720rpm max on a 14 inch wheel, feeds and speeds, 3000 plus rpm will take all the finish off in under a second.

I use 3000rpm machines when buffing scratches out of brass instruments, then i buff them at the same speed as i buff guitars 720rpm to get that smooth finish
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-24-2022, 02:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

I buff at between 1200 and 1500 rpm on a 10" wheel. If I linger or hit an edge too hard, it will pull the finish off, so I don't. It is a good idea to deliberately buff hard enough on a scrap piece of finished wood to ruin the surface. Then you'll know what it takes and won't have to be afraid of it.
Old 07-24-2022, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wblock77 View Post
Thanks for the additional comments as they are most helpful. I just finished my 1200 grit wet sand (2 more coats tonight) and was planning to do 2000 tomorrow night (2 more coats tomorrow night). I was thinking I would wait a couple weeks and use 3000 and then 5000 for the final sands (no more coats). I think I may go directly to the Fine compound as I am more worried about burning thru the lacquer than having a stellar shine. I haven't developed the touch yet like you guys have. Please let me know if you see a flaw in my thinking.
In my experince it's not necessary to sand any finer than 600 if more coats are going on - and that's with any finish, nitro or not. Save your wet sanding with higher grits for two or so weeks after your last coat and then buff a couple weeks after that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair