The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2019, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
The instructions indicate to install the jack, set the gain, then install the pickup. Seems like the adjustments will be more difficult after the jack is installed, and I’m not sure how to test optimal levels if the pickup isn’t installed yet. Hoping for a method that doesn’t require taking strings off and on between each adjustment.

Perhaps install the pickup first, leaving the jack outside the guitar, play with the levels, then one unstring/install jack and wires last, restring?
Yeah I don't see how you would be able to set the gain with the jack installed. I would do as you said, install the pickup and leave the jack outside and plug into it there. Set the gain to whatever you desire and install everything. That being said I'm sure the factory setting of 20% would be fine. If you're anything like me though you will want to see how much you can squeeze out of it without distortion. I'll be doing this in the very near future with the Artist version dual sourcing with a Barbera Soloist. I plan to gain match the HFN and the Soloist before I install it.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
Yeah I don't see how you would be able to set the gain with the jack installed. I would do as you said, install the pickup and leave the jack outside and plug into it there. Set the gain to whatever you desire and install everything. That being said I'm sure the factory setting of 20% would be fine. If you're anything like me though you will want to see how much you can squeeze out of it without distortion. I'll be doing this in the very near future with the Artist version dual sourcing with a Barbera Soloist. I plan to gain match the HFN and the Soloist before I install it.

Ok cool, appreciate the sanity check. Hoping to have it set in a way I can get a good sound through multiple setups/rooms the first time installing.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
Ok cool, appreciate the sanity check. Hoping to have it set in a way I can get a good sound through multiple setups/rooms the first time installing.
So long as you don't get too greedy with the gain you should be fine plugging into anything. You do have me curious now though, if the instructions say to install the jack and then adjust the gain afterwards I'm really wondering how you would achieve this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification