The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-02-2019, 10:59 AM

Default 2019 Acoustic Trio Portable Setup

Looking for a $1500 or less PA setup for a trio (3 acoustic instruments, 3 mics). No cables, mics, effects, pickups necessary in that budget. Just the speakers/power and mixer.

80% of the time, it'll be a max crowd of 40 indoor. 20% of the time, it'll be the same 40 people outdoor.

Portability is really helpful.

I've been looking into a single Yamaha (or QSC) 10" on a pole with a mixer in front of it. I kind of like the idea that I could use it with a guitar model system in my spare time (such as the Kemper or something like that).

I've also been looking into some of the Line Array setups, but I've not heard enough of them in those types of circumstances to be comfortable that they'd cover it.

I'd really appreciate some ideas from the crew, especially if you've had experience in similar types of gigs.

Thanks!
Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM

A QSC TM-8 digital mixer with one or two powered 8" speakers like the EV ZXa1 or QSC K8.2 will work for that and more. You don't need 10" speakers for vocals and guitar unless you need more SPL output than the 8" models can provide; you're just going to carry a larger and heavier speaker box for no qualitative or functional advantage in the environment you describe. To stay within your budget, wait for a sale and/or consider B-stock.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:50 AM

Here's a thought - you could each have individual Bose S1's.......!!
Dazzo 70's & SunnAudio Stage DI
Old 03-03-2019, 06:02 AM

Schertler Roy (or Schertler Jam 400). Stop.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Here's a thought - you could each have individual Bose S1's.......!!
That's a fine idea if everyone "plays nice". If one person decides he can't hear himself, it quickly becomes a volume war.

For that $1500 budget and an anticipated audience of 40 (indoors or out), almost any small PA will suffice. I use an L1C and an S1; either would work for that task. With 3 players and 3 mics, you'd want to use a mixer. My choice would be the L1C and a mixer and would use up most of that budget. That said, a lot of small PAs would do the job.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

LD Systems Maui 5 and a QSC TouchMix 8. So easy and just flat our amazing acoustic tone. Between the two, the versatility and functionality is unmatched with any other setup near that price range.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 03-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

How about the Bose F1 Model 812, which with its recent price drop is now priced at $899, coupled with a Bose T8S Tonematch Mixer? Currently, the total cost of these two pieces of gear is $1798, but long about June, Bose will likely have one of their semi-annual sales (10% or 15% off) that will drop the price of the Bose T8S Tonematch Mixer to between $764 to $809 which brings the total cost of the two pieces of gear to almost within your $1500 budget. Alternatively, you could add a less costly mixer to the Bose F1 Model 812 to stay within your $1500 budget.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 03-03-2019 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:47 PM

The Bose L1 Compact is plenty powerful enough for what you need, and is extremely portable. And it will double as your monitor. It's $1000, and goes on sale a few times a year for $900.

For the mixer, I would use the Mackie ProDX8, but it looks like those have been discontinued now. It has six "legitimate" inputs (just what you need), and has very simple to use EQ, compression, reverb, etc. Doesn't have true gains, but that I've only found that to be an issue with ONE guy who sings so loud and so close to a sensitive mic that I had to go get an inline attenuator for use with him. The gain automatically adjusts depending on whether you connect an XLR (high gain) or 1/4" (low gain) input to the channel. You have to use the fader to control volume. If you're clipping an input (like I was above), you'd have to get an attenuator or dial back the volume control on the guitar/etc, instead.

The ProDX8 will work off your phone's Bluetooth, which I would find very convenient. Just get a holder for your phone that attaches to your mic stand. And it comes in REALLY handy if you happen to have a friend in the audience whose ears you trust to mix for you.

You can download the Mackie Mixer-Connect App to your phone and see exactly what the interface looks like (pick the larger of the two pictured mixers to get the DX8 instead of the DX4).
Old 03-03-2019, 02:59 PM

Note, the Mackie DL1608 would also just finish inside your budget (if bought with say a 10% discount along with the Bose L1 Compact). It's still available.

But it requires an Ipad and a router. And it's probably overkill for what you really need. And has a steeper learning curve.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-digital-mixer
Old 03-05-2019, 07:57 AM

a single k10 and a board like a soundcraft
or allen and heath , is probably a great way
to go. go with the parametric mids on the board
like soundcraft signature series has. Much more
tweakable with that eq.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post
a single k10 and a board like a soundcraft
or allen and heath , is probably a great way
to go. go with the parametric mids on the board
like soundcraft signature series has. Much more
tweakable with that eq.
This. The semi parametric EQ on the mids is very important to have.

The touchmix is great, but I sold my TM16 because I prefer an analog board when I'm both playing and mixing. By the time I select the channel, go into the sub menu, and tweak, I have both hands on the board and zero hands on the guitar. With an analog board, I can reach over with one hand and tweak what I need very quickly.

Personal suggestions:
Soundcraft EFX8
Two QSC K8.2 or 10.2 speakers.

You can even put them off axis behind you and get the added benefits of a better sound on stage, or use one as a side fill for the trio.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-05-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrax View Post
Schertler Roy (or Schertler Jam 400). Stop.
If your trio includes a bass or a keyboard covering the bass, the Schertler Roy (or Jam 400) will handle the low frequencies far better any other all-in-one box. I absolutely love mine!
Old 03-25-2019, 03:16 PM

FYI I went with a QSC k8 v2 on a pole and am temporarily using a Henriksen Bud as a monitor (though I'll probably swap it with a Bose S1 or AER something at some point).

I am using an A&H Zedi FX10 mixer and GLS Audio cables. Senheiser main mic and GLS for the backups.

Thanks for all the help -- we've been killin' it with the new setup
Old 03-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Great choice. And you can use it as an frfr for
your kemper or helix modeler

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification