The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Having heard all of the above, I think you should try a pair of Schoeps cmc641.

Regards,

Ty Ford
This is what we used on Anton's CD, sound clips here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/AntonEmery
Old 10-23-2014, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Here is a full track as well, if you are interested. Sorry its not .wav

http://www.celticfingerstyleguitar.c...ts/receipt.mp3
Old 10-25-2014, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Curious what folks think of this. Did some fiddling with mic placement today when I should be actually practicing.

I brought the ADK's to 2 feet apart and about 2 feet away from the guitar. Sorry for the bit of environment noise, its super rainy and windy in Portland today.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/adk-a6-pair-2ft-apart

I think there is maybe less proximity effect than the others?

Anton
Old 10-25-2014, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Curious what folks think of this. Did some fiddling with mic placement today when I should be actually practicing.

I brought the ADK's to 2 feet apart and about 2 feet away from the guitar. Sorry for the bit of environment noise, its super rainy and windy in Portland today.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/adk-a6-pair-2ft-apart

I think there is maybe less proximity effect than the others?

Anton
Sound rather dark. All and all I am thinking you would do better with some different microphones.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-25-2014, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Yea maybe. Do you have any suggestions Rick? Anything for $500 ish a pair that might work ?
Old 10-25-2014, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

I'm actually doubtful of the need for different mics. The difference between mics is very subtle - ok if you're fine tuning, looking to turn a 99% recording into a 99.9% one, but it's not going to make a night and day difference in most cases. You'll get a bigger difference from new strings, or a different brand of strings, or moving your hand an inch, or moving the mic an inch, or changing the room you record in.

I know this is controversial - every time it comes up, some people swear there are HUGE differences between mics, preamps, etc. I hear differences, but I'd call them subtle relative to other things you can do. Of course, the more things you try the more you learn, but I'd try to borrow or at least make sure you can return anything you buy. Otherwise you can easily end up with a big pile of mics that all sound pretty much the same :-)
Old 10-25-2014, 11:25 PM
Charter Member

Anton, it is often true that mikes can sound pretty similar over a variety of price ranges, however the ADK 6's were clearly darker sounding and less detailed than the Rode NT5's. Also I think you can find some affordable mike choices that sound better on the acoustic guitar than the NT5's.

I don't have any mikes in your price range but there are numerous threads in this forum you can read through where various mikes have be discussed - some include recordings made with them. Do buy mikes from a source with a good return policy, such as American Music Supply and zZounds.

Also invest in some room acoustic treatment if possible.

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-25-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:55 PM
Charter Member

Yea on one hand I am inclined to agree with Doug. In his studio we used Schoeps and my tone was largely the same. On the other hand I am always looking for an excuse to try new gear. Maybe Ill see what friends around town have that I can borrow.

I do have some acoustic treatment. 5 broadband panels and two corners lined with those foam wedges.
Old 10-26-2014, 12:01 AM
Charter Member

Default Deleted Post

Deleted Post

Last edited by alohachris; 12-23-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 10-26-2014, 01:11 AM

I'm finding all of this fascinating, not least because I'm trying to do stereo fingerstyle recordings with a spaced pair of ADK A-6s in a room which is less than acoustically perfect.

But, I have to ask, what is 'dark' to you different folk? Does it mean too much signal down in the sub 200 Hz or insufficient above 5 kHz or ...?

I'm trying to train my ears (or what is left of my aging hearing) to differentiate between sounds and settings, but I find the adjectives like 'dark' and 'sparkle' and 'boxy' hard to recognise when I fiddle with EQ.

By the way, I love your playing, Anton, and really like the latest, most distant space pair recording you put up.

Kym
Old 10-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scripsit View Post
I'm finding all of this fascinating, not least because I'm trying to do stereo fingerstyle recordings with a spaced pair of ADK A-6s in a room which is less than acoustically perfect.
But, I have to ask, what is 'dark' to you different folk?
Kym
When I say "dark" in this case it is sort of like a darker room - harder to make out details and less colorful, i.e. less transient response and less higher frequency content.

Something similar sound wise can occur with an over humidified guitar. Please post some of your playing recorded with those mikes for some comparison.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the kind words Chris and Kym. Glad you enjoy my playing. I hope to do another cd next year. I meant to do that this year but it didnt happen.

I was digging through my old files and found another track with a pair of Peluso CEMC 6's i used to own. Sold em because self noise bothered me. I know its not a perfect comparison, but here it is if folks are interested.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/peluso-cemc-6

I agree Chris, there is no sense buying more mics if it is just a sideways move. I'll just use what I have and save for something better. I have always wanted to try the Beyers.

I think I might move my iMac, mics, and interface downstairs and see how that sounds. Bigger space, wood floor, and I can setup a few free standing broadband panels. Its not a permanent solution (no way my wife would let leave that stuff setup), but perhaps worth experimenting with. Or if it sounds alot better maybe its worth getting a Zoom H6 so I can at least record the solo cuts down there.

Really enjoying all this conversation.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I was digging through my old files and found another track with a pair of Peluso CEMC 6's i used to own. Sold em because self noise bothered me. I know its not a perfect comparison, but here it is if folks are interested.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/peluso-cemc-6
The Peluso mike recording sounds good - cleaner, more detail - same guitar, same recording space? They are fairly quiet mikes - maybe there was other room noise or there was a bad mike.

As far as making a sideways move in changing mikes, that is possible but it is not necessarily price related.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:09 AM

Didn't like them. They were unnaturally edgy as many chinese made (or chinese parts) mics are.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 10-26-2014, 11:24 AM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, it doesn't matter what mics, mic preamps, eq, or any other processing Anton uses. For better or worse, he produces a particular tone that any signal chain is going to capture. If he desires to get markedly different results, he needs to change what is presented to the mics.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD