The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-14-2012, 05:36 PM

Question Need help using PC for recording.

Right now I have a Fostex 8 track digital recorder and 2 Rode NT1A microphones. I use ART mic pre-amps when recording with the Rode mics. I am considering going to recording using my PC. I have Windows XP. Is there a way that I could convert to using my PC for recording but still take advantage of the 2 Rode mics that I have? Also, what type of recording software would be good for me? I have no idea of price or what peripherals I might need. I am brand new to the PC recording world. What are my options? HELP!
Old 02-14-2012, 07:37 PM

The good news is yes, you can certainly use the Rode mics. Since you already have the PC, you just need an interface to get the mic outputs into the PC and recording software.

Some folks refer to audio interfaces as sound cards, but they are much more. I use the Focusrite 18i6. The prices for interfaces are all over the map. The 18i6 is about $300. You can spend less or a lot more. I'd recommend one with at least two XLR inputs and a headphone out. Choice of USB and firewire outputs to plug into the PC.

DAW software also runs the price and feature gamut. Reaper seems to be a popular choice. I think it's about $40. I use Sonar X1 Producer - about $400. Sonar comes with a ton of plugins for effects.

If you get serious about home recording, you'll want to add reference monitors. Then, you'll want different mics. You get the picture... this can be quite an expensive hobby.

Good luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
Right now I have a Fostex 8 track digital recorder and 2 Rode NT1A microphones. I use ART mic pre-amps when recording with the Rode mics. I am considering going to recording using my PC. I have Windows XP. Is there a way that I could convert to using my PC for recording but still take advantage of the 2 Rode mics that I have? Also, what type of recording software would be good for me? I have no idea of price or what peripherals I might need. I am brand new to the PC recording world. What are my options? HELP!
To record to a PC you need an audio interface. All interfaces will have analogue-digital and digital-analogue converters (ADDA) to get sound in and out of the computer. Most will have preamps with phantom power for condenser mics.

What's the budget? You can spend $50 on a second-hand M-Audio 2496 PCI card or you could spend $14k on a Crane Song Spider and Egret. Lots of options. First thing is to decide what I/O you need. Are you looking for an eight channel unit?

Reaper is a good but inexpensive DAW on windows. If you don't want to spend a fortune on software, you should also take a look at the world of linux audio. First stop AVLinux and Ardour.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete12string View Post
...I am brand new to the PC recording world. What are my options? HELP!
Hi pete...
Options are too great to list here.

Basic ingredients for decent recordings are:
  • Decent Interface which converts analog to digital
  • Decent Preamp for the mic
  • Decent mics
  • Decent Software/computer

These days many interfaces have mic preamps (with full 48volt phantom) built into the interface which also converts analog to digital.

They range in price from under $100 to over $1000 depending on number of channels, quality of preamps, and extra features built in.

They come in USB or Firewire configurations for connecting to a computer.

Software - Audacity is available for about every operating system is as good as any (and free). Has all the parts-n-pieces one needs to get off the ground with.

And many interfaces include CubaseLE or ProToolsLE software.

They all work fairly well.

Lastly, there is a fairly technical learning curve to all of this. As a novice, you probably won't be picking up the parts at Guitar Center on the way home from work and be mixing and recording 30 minutes after dinner.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-15-2012, 11:55 AM

Thanks for the info so far. It looks like I have a long way to go! I'd like to be able to record at least 2 tracks at the same time (4 would be better). With Audacity, can you record multiple tracks? It looks like Reaper can do this. Based on that type of "input" requirement, what would be a good interface unit? I would want to record using mics for the most part, but may want to go direct in with a 1/4" phone plug as well... My budget would be on the order of $200 - $300.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:15 PM

You can get more audio bang for your buck by buying second-hand, so long as it's a brand with a reputation for making solid, reliable gear.

Quite a few RME Multiface I (older model) turn up on ebay Europe at very low prices, not so sure how common they are in the US. There's very little difference between this and the newer model. You get 8 analogue I/O, SPDIF (optical and coaxial), ADAT, MIDI and word clock which makes it a very versatile little box. Nobody does monitoring mixer software better than RME's Totalmix. Download a manual from the RME website if you want to find out more.

You'll also need an RME HDSP card. They come in PCI, PCIe and cardbus/expresscard versions for laptops. On ebay mostly you'll see older PCI and cardbus cards.

If you need more pres without busting the bank the M-Audio DMP3 is surprisingly good for the price. FiveFish DIY kits are even better.

I think you might want to plan for some better mics at some point, but one thing at a time.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:22 PM

What is the model # of your Fostex? If it has a USB out you might be able to use it to get signal into your computer....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD