The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-17-2004, 05:23 AM

Default New Recordings - Brown Eyed Girl & Desperado

Hey all,

I have put up two new recordings in my briefcase:

http://f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/...Guitar&.view=l

If you have time, give a listen and let me know what you think. Always looking for critique to improve my playing and recording skills.

Thanks and Peace,

- dave sewell

Photos of some of the instruments I've built, and a bit of the music I've made with them can be seen at: www.putfile.com/davesewell
Old 11-17-2004, 06:50 AM

very nice... i really like those (especially the eagles song). You make me wish I had a singing voice! lol
Old 11-17-2004, 07:26 AM

Good stuff.

I found the drum track to be wicked repetitive on "Brown Eyed Girl", and I felt it took away from the track. Have you tried the track without the drums? Might add to it, who knows.

I also felt there was a lack of a low end. Not sure if you had a bass, but that might be something fun to throw in there.

I like your voice. It is quite folky, and it really grew on me

Keep up the good work.

Devon

Last edited by ME@VT; 11-18-2004 at 07:21 AM.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:20 AM

Dave -- Hey, sounds great over on this forum too! By the way, I didn't get a single premonitian about anything before I saw your topic this time. Cheers!
Old 11-18-2004, 04:56 AM

Mike, Devon, and Will;

Thanks for listening guys.

Some good suggestions for improvement in there too. I appreciate that!

The drum track IS repetitive because I'm just learning how to use the @!$#% thing and well, at least I have gotten this far...

Again, thanks for the feedback!

Peace,

- dave sewell

Photos of some of the instruments I've built, and a bit of the music I've made with them can be seen at: www.putfile.com/davesewell
Old 11-18-2004, 11:13 AM

Here's the positives on Brown Eyed Girl.

You have a good voice. Mostly sing on pitch. Play the song well.

Here's the negatives.

It sounds like it's mono. You need to pan out those guitars and give some spaciousness to the recording. Even the drums sound like they are in mono. You need to add bass guitar. It sounds like you are playing a bass line on guitar. But, it doesn't have the deep tones that you need. As well, Drums without bass usually end up sounding out of place. The repetitiveness of the beat would be masked if you had a bass line, and some layers and spaciousness to your recording.

But, you are probably new at all of that and maybe you have limitations with what you are using to record. So, given that these are your first recordings, they are not bad at all. Here's the thing. You have a good voice. That gives you a lot to work with.

Desperado sounds pretty good.

I would probably re-do that track along to a drum track. Then remove the drum track from the final mix. It might help you sync up the guitar interplay that you have at the start of the song, that sounds good...but slightly out of sync in a couple of spots.

And, something is not quite right 21 - 22 seconds in on the intro. I'm not sure what it is, but there is a note there that sounds out. Which, normally I wouldn't point out. But, you played that intro nicely and that little note thing kind of stands out.

At least, that's how it sounds to me. I played it back a few times, and while I can't isolate exactly why my ears kind of latch on to something that doesn't sound right 21 seconds in...I know that's the feeling I'm getting.

You singing is also good on Desperado.

Overall, not bad Dave.
Old 11-18-2004, 08:02 PM

Nice job Dave. I love listening to these types of posts. I wish I had the gear and experience to record a few.

Anyway, some thoughts
Brown Eyed Girl is real tight. Almost to tight. I'd consider raggin it up a bit. Your vocals have this nice raspy feel to them, but they lay in very pretty.... phrase to phrase. They fit in almost too perfectly. If I were your producer I'd want you to reach down there and find a bit more soul for the delivery.

Desperado
You've got a great voice and the guitar work is nice. I like it when you decay your voice at the end of a phrase. When you cut the note and annuciate the word it seems somehow forced.

FWIW
Cool!
Old 11-19-2004, 05:24 AM

Utah and MJZ,

Thanks for listening and taking time to give me so much feedback on these recordings! I really appreciate it!

The one thing that blows my mind is that you guys, and lots of others that have heard and commented on my recordings tell me that I have a good voice... While I appreciate that, and am maybe starting to believe it (why would so many people blow smoke up my dress?) - it's just plain surprising to me. Frankly, I always thought my voice was my weakest point!

Anyway, I AM playing a bass line on guitar, because I don't have a bass guitar; and I wanted some kind of groove in there... I agree that a real bass would add to the overall quality of the sound, and hope to find a decent bass soon (like most of us, I am working with limited funds!)

Panning out the guitars should be easy to do, if I can figure out how to do it...! I'll work on that one too.

And finally, I intentionally put a bit of 'out of sync' into Desperado hoping to give it a bit of 'live' feel and not be too mechanical... Thought I was being clever...?

In any case, I get good information and new things to try in my effort to get proficient at this recording thing; and I thank all of you for taking time to help me with it.

As I do more, I'll put them up and see what you think!

Thanks again, and peace,

- dave sewell

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell