The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-07-2004, 08:53 PM

Default perfect posture

i v posted on posture before but im still not satisfied. Does any one have pictures or detailed ways to hold the guitar corectly to elimenate tension?
Old 11-07-2004, 09:35 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

In the classical style? Sit normally, put the guitar on your left leg (assuming you are playing it right handed), put your left foot on something to raise it about 4-8 inches off the ground (whatever you aer comfortable with) ( I use the closed guitar case if I don't have my foot stool), have the headstock of the guitar elevated so it is about even with your head.

From Jamie Andreas' site; (The pictures on the right hand side, using the "classical" position. BTW, you might want to invest the $25 in his "The Principles" book-excellent material for how to mechanically play the guitar, how to get the most out of practice.)
http://www.guitarprinciples.com/Guit...ue/sitting.htm

There is a reason that classical players, with their amazing technical skills, play in the "classical" position. It is ergonomically superior for both right and left hand work and, if you notice, the player isn't twisted to one side as they are in the "cowboy" position. (guitar on right knee). It is much more comfortable to sit for long periods of time in the classical position. (At least for me )

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-07-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-08-2004, 03:54 PM

Well with me I use 2 different positions. One is using the foot stool with a dreadnought on my right knee. In this position i use a pick or fingerstyle depending on what im playing. I play clssical here but really just to better my skill at guitar. the other way i play al ot less in is just sitting down with a pick. So does any one have any suggestions for that? How about standing up and picking?
Old 11-08-2004, 04:05 PM

I'm not quite sure what you are asking for here. How to play with the guitar on your right knee? Andreas also has pictures showing that on the link I provided.
Well, as I said, my suggestion for the most "ergonomically sound" (ie comfortable) seated guitar playing position is the classical one. You don't have to actually be PLAYING a classical guitar to use that position. YOu are allowed to use it with any style guitar
I don't recommend shifting from one positon to the other, but that's just me. Re; playing a dreadnaught on your right knee-you are combining the worst of both worlds-a position which forces your right elbow and shouder to ride up with a large guitar that will make it even worse. Having said that, many many folks do play the guitar that way.
Re; standing and playing-first you stand, then you play . Guitar strap helps. Guitar angle and height is whatever is comfortable to you-though again, having the guitar in the same relative position it would be if you were seated in the classical position seems to me to be the way to go. Your right hand wrist won't be torqued towards the little finger and your left hand won't be forced into over-suppination and flexion (carpal tunnel syndrome provoker there) to reach the fretboard (as happens with the "guitar on the right knee" guitar position.)

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-09-2004 at 02:19 AM.
Old 11-09-2004, 04:59 PM

"playing a dreadnaught on your right knee-you are combining the worst of both worlds-a position which forces your right elbow and shouder to ride up with a large guitar that will make it even worse. "
Are you sure? You cant put a dreadnut on your left knee. I dont play with it on my knee its actually on my leg.(like it normally is!). I pretty much have the same shape of guitar and posture in your link on photo 3.
Old 11-09-2004, 05:45 PM

Why can't you put a dreadnaught on your left knee (classical position)? What prevents it? What do you think will happen? What do you see as being so different between a classical guitar and a steel string guitar (a dreadnaught in this case)?
If you go back and look at the pictures I linked you to and look at the third picture down, first row, and also the second picture down in the second row, that is a Dreadnaught that Jamie is playing in the classical (resting on the left knee) position. (A Martin D 28 I believe.)

Lots of folks who play guitars resting on the right knee after many years will start to notice pain in the right shoulder. This is usually do to chronic rotator cuff inpingement secondary to their humeral head being forced superiorly in the shoulder joint chronically impinging on the rotator cuff, compressing it's blood supply. They often show up on forums such as this complaing that they love dreadnaughts but can't play them anymore because they cause their right shoulder to hurt. The two things they can do are 1) switch to the classical position so their shoulder can now rest down and 2) go to a smaller bodied guitar. #1 generally does the most good.

You could play a parlor sized guitar in the classical position. You could play a Gibson Jumbo in the classical position. You could play a 12 string guitar, a 18 string harp guitar, an 18" arch top, a mandolin, a bazooki, a lute, a citern or a banjo in the classical position if you wanted to. The larger the guitar the EASIER it is to play in the classical position.
Fingerstyle, flat pick, slide, punk rock, progressive rock, classic rock, rockabilly, rap, blues, bluegrass, celtic, jazz, ballads, show tunes, John Phillips Souza marches-whatever you want to play. It all boils down to what is comfortable for you.

Henry Van Dyke

Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-09-2004 at 06:02 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell