The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-21-2017, 11:20 AM

Default Flamenco guitar amplification

Hi people,
I thought I would share my experience of amplifiying a flamenco guitar for gigs and would be interested to hear others too.
I have a mini flex 2 mic installed, which I extend the longer mic just outside the sound hole, and usually go into the PA either clean or through some subtle fx (pedals - compress - eq - reverb)
It's a nice setup for concert halls and can work great on its own, and with a small ensemble.
I found going through pedals sucks out A bit of bass on the 2mic, but when you need more control it outweighs the tone loss.
The quality of the Di box also plays a big role. One venue I played had Rupert neve DIs, and suddenly, the frequency was so nicely balanced, it was amazing. The usual problem peak of 200hz was really gone, just from a nice Di..

So I played a tour using the mini flex 2 mic as my main sound (also monitoring) plus a small diaphragm condenser for adding to the front of house.

Then one show was a big outdoor festival, and apparently the guitar was seriously missing presence in the mix. It was disappointing..
I don't want to go down the undersaddle pickup way simply because My experience in the past is that it kills the feel and natural tone of the guitar. But if I'm not heard (we had a bass and percussion onstage too) then what can i do in that situation??

Hope to hear some interesting things from the group
Old 05-21-2017, 11:37 AM

I have a soundhole pickup with a gooseneck condenser mic. Works well but the iRig stage is fantastic - it's a digital MEMS condenser mic that clips you your soundhole and accurate captures the natural tone of your guitar.
I gave up on fishman undersaddle systems a while ago. irig is awesome, it has a powerful preamp with volume control so there's no chance if being lost in the mix and it has s button to cancel feedback which works by cancelling only the feedback leaving the volume and frequencies of the sound of the guitar intact. Here's a demo of iRig Acoustic Stage

https://youtu.be/9LGwsS6ZavQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2017, 11:46 AM

Mics are OK in smaller settings, or maybe in a larger concert hall type setting when there is a knowledgable soundman who can help you dial things in. But if you are doing shows in more unpredictable environments like an outdoor festival, it's better to have some sort of pickup.

I would recommend checking out this:

http://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html

It's not technically an undersaddle system since it replaces your saddle, so it won't kill the tone or feel of your instrument. Especially for nylon string guitars I think it is the best solution out there right now. High-end nylon string builders like Kirk Sand and Buscarino are using these pickups in their guitars.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:40 PM

Beagle beat me to it.
I will also add my vote to check out the Barbera pickup system. I still haven't managed to get my hands on one personally, but its my number 1 choice to go in the nylon crossover i'm currently building and that means in the next few months I perhaps will have.
As Beagle already mentioned, and I agree, on the nylon string side of the pickup equation, it's probably the best solution out there right now.

David
Old 05-23-2017, 08:02 AM

The Barbera looks interesting, and I checked out their website. I couldn't tell what's involved in mounting on a guitar, that is, does the bridge need to be modified? I didn't see cost mentioned on their website, perhaps its there, but it looks like about $400 which is pricey.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Hello,

I'm afraid Barbera transducer used without any other source could possibly disappoint author of this thread.
By the design, this kind of transducer will amplify only signal from integrated bridge saddle with no body sounds (which are crucial for true flamenco style of guitar playing) . At least it should mixed with signal from miniflex mics.

Regards,
Marek
Old 03-23-2019, 02:34 PM

For me, the answer (at present) is either a Cordoba GK Pro with a Fishman Aura/Matrix pickup substituted for the Prefix/Presys that comes stock (the barn door fits). If you don't use the Aura, turn OFF the internal mic in the Prefix/Presys !!!!!!!!!!! Sound is then acceptable, but (IMO) not as good as the Aura....

An equally good alternative is the Takamine CT4-DX with Palathetic pickup. But the problem, as usual, is getting the frame if you're not using a Takamine guitar (I have a TC-132SC special ordered as a Flamenco).

Another great alternative is the DyN-G pickup for the top (there is a new version out). There is still a chance of feedback, but with their preamp, it really does sound good.

FWIW, ec.…

These alternatives give a good representation of the sound of the guitar the way YOU hear it, at least at low (but amplified) volumes. Be aware that most "acoustic" solutions are voiced for steel string guitar, NOT nylon, and so acoustic amps are not necessarily FRFR.

That said, it is the pickup/preamp that is absolutely critical - if that is ok, then everything else follows (including Line 6 Heiix, Boss GT-1000, etc.... (I don't generally use amp/cab models, but they can be interesting as experiments.)

For nylon string guitars, keep the gain LOW if you want to use effects....
Old 03-23-2019, 02:58 PM

It also depends on what kind of amplified tone you're looking for. Since you're using the miniflex it seems that you want the sound of your guitar, only louder, which is what the majority of us want. The Barbera Soloist has a lot going for it no doubt. It still isn't the most natural sounding pickup out there nor is it cheap but it is a pretty minimal install. There is a chance that you would need a shim to accommodate it as well.

I suggest you give the Schatten HFN-C consideration as it is a lot cheaper, sounds very natural on its own and is very easy to install.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification