The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-28-2018, 07:27 PM

Question Simple Android Recording

Hi All!

I am interested in recording my acoustic playing for YouTube. My problem is that I have little to no interest in purchasing and learning all about microphones, recording software etc etc.

I suppose the problem is I am so busy at work and family that I would love a simple solution without a learning curve...

Is there any way I can record with just my android phone and send the file to YouTube? I think that perhaps a basic external microphone may help because I did try with the phone only (placed it on my kitchen counter in selfy mode) but the recording with the built-in mic was pretty weak.

By no means am I looking for any kind of perfection as far as audio quality is concerned.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ed
Old 12-28-2018, 07:50 PM

If you go beyond simply recording with your phone there's going to be a learning curve to one extent or another.

I'd bet you can get a better recording with your phone than you already have. You'll need to stay close to its' mic - 12" or maybe closer. You'll need to experiment to find out what the ideal distance is.

The other important thing is where you record. Putting your phone on the kitchen counter is probably a bad place. Try going into the living room or some other room in your house that doesn't have hard reflective surfaces but soft absorbing ones instead. You want to find a spot where room ambiance is at a minimum and also where there's no extraneous noises like the fridge, the air conditioner, heater, etc.

You'll need to listen back to evaluate the quality of the recordings with at least some earbuds and not just the tiny speaker in the phone.

You may or may not get anything that you'll be happy with with just your phone but I have no way of guessing that.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:38 AM

Simple answer for audio only is Soundcloud.

Create an account, it is free.

Download the app to your phone. I have an android phone and the mic has a high and low setting, will have to use the low setting and play it up close, 12- 18" away from guitar.

Open the app on your phone and also open your new account on your PC. You can easily delete the take on your phone if you are not happy with it and do it over as many times as you need before you upload.

Once uploaded, open the recording on PC and listen to it, or you can Bluetooth your phone to a nice speaker. Then you can share a link to your music wherever you like.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 12-29-2018, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wells View Post
Hi All!

I am interested in recording my acoustic playing for YouTube.

Is there any way I can record with just my android phone and send the file to YouTube?
Simple..
If you want to record and go direct to Youtube from phone.

Just launch the Youtube App on your phone.
Tap the camera icon .. Tap Record ..
Then afterward you have option to upload the recording to your Youtube.

There is a Live Stream option as well.
Old 12-31-2018, 04:35 AM

Honestly, if you don't invest a little bit of cash and time to learn at least the basics of how to record whatever you do will sound so terribly bad. For just over 200 bucks if you use the computer that you already have, you will have 5x the quality and 20x the enjoyment of listening to your work. Seriously. A Shure SM57 used is 70 bucks, a cable 20, a stand 30, and something like a used Focusrite 2i2 is under 100. Go for it.
Old 12-31-2018, 08:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wells View Post
Hi All!

I am interested in recording my acoustic playing for YouTube. My problem is that I have little to no interest in purchasing and learning all about microphones, recording software etc etc.

I suppose the problem is I am so busy at work and family that I would love a simple solution without a learning curve...

Is there any way I can record with just my android phone and send the file to YouTube? I think that perhaps a basic external microphone may help because I did try with the phone only (placed it on my kitchen counter in selfy mode) but the recording with the built-in mic was pretty weak.

By no means am I looking for any kind of perfection as far as audio quality is concerned.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ed
First you said "acoustic playing" so does that mean no vocal just guitar ?
If so (and you also have a pick up system in your guitar) then the answer is yes there are cheap interfaces that allow you to bypass the phones mic, and go directly to the phone . Things like the IK - iRig etc. just google " plugging a guitar into a phone"
If you do not have a pickup in your guitar then no you are either stuck with the very marginal mic in your phone (that you have already experienced) , or going through at least a minimal process of learning about microphones and recording But yes you can purchase a basic USB mic to plug into your phone

Understand though your notion of not "wanting" to learn about recording is somewhat similar to saying "I want to play acoustic guitar but am not interested in learning about chords or music " just something to consider ....

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 12-31-2018, 10:29 AM

Hey thanks everyone for the great answers. I really appreciate the responses! I will experiment with all of your suggestions.

I am guilty of wanting everything quick and hassle free! I wish life worked that way!

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD