The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Much cleaner sound than the prior recording and a step in the right direction. The ADKs are definitely warmer with less higher frequencies than the Rodes, but both sound good. The Rodes recorded a hotter signal somewhere between 2 and 3 decibels, so balance that out when comparison listening.

There is some steady background noise (computer gear?) you should try to reduce.

From the sound I still think you are crowding the soundhole somewhat. Try backing away from the guitar another few inches, and don't point the mikes towards the soundhole.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-20-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:04 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Yea, that low end rumble might be a truck going by, and the machine noise is probably my computer. The fan must have kicked on. I need to get a pair of isolation headphones so i can hear these things better.

As far the recordings, I guess I like them both, though now i am leaning towards the Rodes more. The ADK's sound nice and warm, but I am also hearing a sort of muddiness to the sound. The Rodes have a clearness and crispness that is appealing. That makes me want to try some other SDC's, like the Octavas.

But I also already own the ADK's, and probably should not be dumping more money into mics. So perhaps I should just take what i have and actually starting recording some music.

Anton
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Listening more this morning through my work headphones which I use all day every day. I dont think there is enough difference for me to warrant going out and buying new mics, as much as I would like to do that.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Listening more this morning through my work headphones which I use all day every day. I dont think there is enough difference for me to warrant going out and buying new mics, as much as I would like to do that.
After listening to all the clips, I think you made a wise call. This is the tone you playing that guitar produce and no particular set of mics is going to change that.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 AM
Charter Member

Maybe I should start looking at different guitars then..
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Interestingly there was a pretty significant difference in how these particular mikes recorded. A lot of times mikes sound more similar.

Mikes will be part of the equation, and, for example, what reverb(s) work best with what mikes can vary - do factor that in to some degree when deciding on what mikes to buy. However you do need to do more experimenting with mike positioning first. Naturally different guitar sound and record differently. It can get rather involved rather quickly.

Oh, another thing I just thought about: You live in a high humidity part of the country. Guitars will have a clearer, crisper sound with a lower humidity. So if you do not currently control the humidity level your guitar resides in you may want to start doing so.

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-20-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should start looking at different guitars then..
Or at least borrow another guitar and see what they sound like. If results are similar, than it's more you than the instrument. From what I'm hearing, you don't play with much if any nail. Am I correct?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Ive got a friend who has some nice guitars, I will have to try recording them on my gear.

I play with a combination of flesh and nail. I use enough nail that i definitely feel the difference when I cut it to short.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
So if you do not currently control the humidity level your guitar resides in you may want to start doing so.
Do you recommend putting something in each instrument case Rick or just treating the whole room?
Old 10-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Do you recommend putting something in each instrument case Rick or just treating the whole room?
It would be more effective and steady IOM to treat the whole room. However that would be more costly and perhaps not very practical in your situation.
Do you have a humidity gauge and if so what is the current humidity in your guitar room?

Old 10-20-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I agree with that. It's a beautiful piece of music - beautifully-played.
Guitar sounds very good. It could have more sparkle, more clarity.

Have you tried a Blumlein placement?

Blumlein requires bidirectional mics. The ADK A6 is cardioid only.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-20-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to get another recording up. Here they are, on soundcloud this time for ease of listening. I think you should be able to download the full wav file as well.

I also recorded a pair of Rode NT5's I am borrowing from a friend. i recorded each pair of mics separately and did no additional processing to the recording. The mics are about three feet apart and 10 inches away from my guitar, level with the top edge of the sound hole. So i guess a spaced pair sort of arrangement.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/se...nt5-comparison

I like them both. The ADKs sound warmer but the Rodes have a nice crispness to them.

Anton
10" from the guitar = significant proximity effect.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-20-2014, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

How far would you recommend Fran? I find when I get alot farther I cant get a decent enough level going into my DAW. I try to shoot for around -7db.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
How far would you recommend Fran? I find when I get alot farther I cant get a decent enough level going into my DAW. I try to shoot for around -7db.
Recording 24 bit at -12 to -18 decibels and you should still be fine with room to spare. Just keep background noise under control.

Old 10-20-2014, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

You can go amazingly low with 24 bits and have no issue. But if you put the mics further away, the guitar level will be reduced relative to room noise and room acoustics. Usually for home recording, we have to mic closer than you would in a professional studio. I usually mic 6-8 inches away. There's some proximity effect, but as long as it sounds good, it doesn't matter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD