The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-07-2014, 11:08 PM

It sounds quite good and looks more than wide enough on my scope. A little shy on the top-end perhaps but that may be because the strings are a bit tired and have lost their "zing." Add a judicious amount of eq to suit and you're done. Hey, if eq was good enough for Les and Chet, who am I to argue?
Old 10-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Charter Member

"had a pair of broadband panels setup in a V behind the mikes"

Now that I think about it those V panels may be sucking up too much of the highs. I tried it in the past and did not like the results. Try it without them or at least a lot farther from the mikes.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Rick, Ill try that in the next few days. Appreciate all the tips.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Well i figured out why i wasnt hearing one mic in my left ear and one in my right. The outputs from Mic 1 and 2 on my interface's virtual mixer were set to the middle, so i guess i was hearing everything in mono. I dont think that should affect was is being recorded into Logic, right?

Thanks for that analysis rick, I really need to figure out how to get more high frequency content in my recordings and tone.

Ric and Doug, regarding Anton's last point is this where something like some carefully applied high end Boost and Attenuation with a Pultec style EQ might help?

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Charter Member

Ukejon, I myself keep everything within the DAW (digital) rather than use external hardware, and yes, I would do equalization post recording rather than during the recording.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Ukejon, I myself keep everything within the DAW (digital) rather than use external hardware, and yes, I would do equalization post recording rather than during the recording.
Keep in mind that push comes to shove, there is no "right" way to record anything.

My preference is to first get as close to the sound I'm after with mic choice and placement and then use a bit of eq to get me closer, if not all the way to the goal as I record. Experience has taught me that a sound not liked on the way in won't be liked any better on playback. Therefore, tone shaping begins as soon as the "not quite what's wanted" call is made. EQ on remix may also be involved but it is usually considerably less and with better results than if none was used beforehand.

As stated above, YMMV.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Keep in mind that push comes to shove, there is no "right" way to record anything.

My preference is to first get as close to the sound I'm after with mic choice and placement and then use a bit of eq to get me closer, if not all the way to the goal as I record. Experience has taught me that a sound not liked on the way in won't be liked any better on playback. Therefore, tone shaping begins as soon as the "not quite what's wanted" call is made. EQ on remix may also be involved but it is usually considerably less and with better results than if none was used beforehand.

As stated above, YMMV.
Right, there are many ways of doing things. I don't like to mess with the incoming signal while recording. I try for the best unaltered sound, but what I sometimes do is monitor during the setting up of the mikes with equalization or reverb added and see if I get a sound I like, then remove it, and record. I can put it back in post recording if I wish.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

I'm with both Rick's here. You can use EQ, and a pultec style is an option, but there are so many tools available, it depends on what you want. But I usually try to use as little EQ as I can. Ideally no EQ, but if you need a db here or there, no big deal. But getting the sound right with guitar choice and mic placement almost always sounds better to me than any drastic alterations.

Since I've heard Anton in person and recorded him several times, I'm aware that he just gets a pretty dark sound. That's not a bad thing, he gets a nice warm, round tone, probably partly technique, part instrument, part his arrangements. I think this recording sounds very good, and sounds like Anton. Trying to boost highs that aren't there in the first place will tend to sound unnatural. I think Anton's more on the right track with increasing the width of the image. The track sounds good as-is, but perhaps a bit more spaciousness (from mic placement tweaks) would "open up" the sound, and address any perceived lack of presence better than an EQ boost, while sounding more natural.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Aton's recording has a rather extreme lack of higher frequencies as can heard and seen in the spectrogram and the bass notes are muddled somewhat. It is almost as if there were a low pass filter. Agreed that a different mike placement may make all the difference. Looking forward to another recording.

P.S. On my own recordings I try to get the raw recording sound to where I don't feel the need to use equalization, other than perhaps a high pass filter. However some equalization changes can be applied to a reverb that may be used and sometimes that is helpful.

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-16-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aton's recording has a rather extreme lack of higher frequencies as can heard and seen in the spectrogram and the bass notes are muddled somewhat. It is almost as if there were a low pass filter. Agreed that a different mike placement may make all the difference. Looking forward to another recording.
That was pretty much the same when he recorded his 1st CD at my place, too.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
That was pretty much the same when he recorded his 1st CD at my place, too.
Interesting. What sort of guitar is it - cedar top for example? Do you have a RME Digicheck spectrogram of one of those recordings?

Old 10-16-2014, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Interesting. What sort of guitar is it - cedar top for example? Do you have a RME Digicheck spectrogram of one of those recordings?
I suspect I archived those files off somewhere by now. Might have them on a backup CD somewhere, it's been several years.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:06 PM
Charter Member

Hi guys. Sorry I have not had time to sit down and post a new recording. Hopefully tomorrow or Saturday. Thanks for all your thoughts so far.

My guitar is an OM by Fabrizio Alberico. It it just plain old sitka spruce and indian rosewood.

I do wish I could get a tone with more highs. When I listen to guys like Doug or Steve Baughman there is alot more clarity on the recording vs my own cd.

Im not sure what it is, maybe my guitar or my technique. I play with flesh and natural nails, not anything super radical from other players. A friend of mine here in Portland has some nice guitars, maybe I can have him come over and I can record them to see if its any different.
Old 10-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Charter Member

Sorry it took me so long to get another recording up. Here they are, on soundcloud this time for ease of listening. I think you should be able to download the full wav file as well.

I also recorded a pair of Rode NT5's I am borrowing from a friend. i recorded each pair of mics separately and did no additional processing to the recording. The mics are about three feet apart and 10 inches away from my guitar, level with the top edge of the sound hole. So i guess a spaced pair sort of arrangement.

https://soundcloud.com/antonemery/se...nt5-comparison

I like them both. The ADKs sound warmer but the Rodes have a nice crispness to them.

Anton
Old 10-19-2014, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

Very nice, Anton! You certainly have the width now. Nice and spacious. I'm surprised it took 3 ft to do it, but whatever works! The sound is good on both , tho I still prefer the ADKs, they're just smoother. The only issue I hear for use on a CD is the noise, really evident on the tail. Low rumble, mostly. If you can find a way to get rid of that (or a time of day when it's not there), you're in great shape for recording.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD