The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-09-2010, 05:18 PM

Being a learner to the guitar, I've found it useful when I'm trying to learn something and can't quite get the timing right.

A recent example is the start to Guy Clark's LA Freeway. I couldn't quite get timing of the fourth part when it changes from third fret to second fret on the high E string.

It didn't sound right and I coiuldn't unterstand why, so I used prcticed with the metronome until I could make it fit in time. Then I went back to playing it naturally, where some of the notes are not exactly on the beat, but using what I'd learned from the metronome. It sounded much better. Does this make any sense?
_
D
Old 04-09-2010, 05:32 PM

Speed, complexity, playing skills are nothing without tension (in the music ). No rhythm - no tension - no emotion. Metronomes are very useful to keep the rhythmic beat and it will develop your inner time (which is the goal).
Old 04-10-2010, 10:26 AM

Default I have a metronome...

I've hardly ever used it. I come from a musically-inclined family, and I started playing drums when I was 5 years old.

And having played church music for as long as I can remember, I believe I have a pretty good sense of timing.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-11-2010, 06:58 AM

I prefer a drum machine to a regular metronome. My students who practice with a drum machine do much better, rhythm-wise than those who don't. I was lucky enough to play drums as my first instrument. I played along with records for years and that internalized the beat for me.
A drum machine can double as a metronome easily enough. Many have a click built in or a rim shot can be programmed on the beat.
Since most of my students want to play rock, blues, country and jazz having that back beat snare shot and the kick on the downbeat leaves no doubt as to where the groove is. A simple lick or chord progression played in time is music. A flashy lick or solo that is not in time is just noise.

Rev George
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 AM

Tommy Emmanuel says that being in tune and in time are the two most important aspects of guitar playing. I'll take his input over Keith Richards any day.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROCKETT View Post
Tommy Emmanuel says that being in tune and in time are the two most important aspects of guitar playing. I'll take his input over Keith Richards any day.
Al Di Meola is the same. In a handful of interviews he says the first thing he talks about in his workshops in timing. He starts by tapping his foot and then gets everyone to join in. He plays something and then 99% of the people will go off time.

Internal sense of timing is the most important thing ever. Metronome, or a drum machine (same concept, so what ever sound better for you) help develop this. And don't forget to tap your foot along with the beat!

Now being in tune is different...Some love being out of tune
Old 04-13-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROCKETT View Post
Well, I understand...
Personally, I realize that Tommy Emmanuel is a phenomenal guitarist for sure. BUT Keith Richards has many classic songs on the radio and, not to mention, more music fans.
I KNOW that timing is a very important ingridient in making music, but it's not the only important ingridient in making music.
franchelB: TGF member #57!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

Be able to play in time is comes first but being able to play with time is where you take it from there.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 AM

Default Metronome is a good thing ...

As a former rudimental drummer, I worked diligently on setting and keeping good "time." I loved that "machine-like" cadence found in a good drum section/drum line. For the most part that has remained in these later years when I play guitar; but, I find the metronome is a great aid in practice and learning new material -- for me.

I think when one plays "solo" they have the freedom of expression and can vary the time as well as dynamics to fit their own needs. It's sometimes a little difficult to listen to, but it reflects the individual.

However, playing in an ensemble is a different story! When one or more players can't/don't keep time (or perhaps can't/don't listen to the other players) it creates a mess and does not sound good at all.

I don't mean to be ridgid, but a steady beat in a group is important, unless you have a "director" to keep everyones' attention to changes.

JMO

Ray
Old 04-14-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchelB View Post
Well, I understand...
Personally, I realize that Tommy Emmanuel is a phenomenal guitarist for sure. BUT Keith Richards has many classic songs on the radio and, not to mention, more music fans.
I had previously noted that Richards was playing against the skilled rhythm section of Watts and Wyman in the Stones. I don't think Richards on his own would have ANY classic songs on the radio, and I think both Jagger and Richards have said that jazz drummer Watts was the key member of the Rolling Stones.

More importantly, though, I think the question of Richards' relationship to timekeeping is probably better viewed as he practiced and practices it, rather than what he said in a soundbite. The "classic songs on the radio" reveal reliance on the rhythm section (one of the benefits of his being in a band, instead of being a solo act) to drive it forward, making an argument for being able to play in time....
Old 04-14-2010, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
More importantly, though, I think the question of Richards' relationship to timekeeping is probably better viewed as he practiced and practices it, rather than what he said in a soundbite.
I just figured Keith's relationship to timekeeping was the result of an internal pacemaker.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:35 AM

One of the defining factors in Keith Richard's style is how he plays with time.
He is one of, if not the most groove oriented guitarists in rock. You certainly don't get a feel like that just by playing with an excellent rhythm section. If it was that easy every guitarist would sound great just by playing with a good drummer and bassist. Keith's groove is within his soul.
When he plays with The Expensive Winos he is every bit as groovy as when he plays with the Stones.

Rev George
Old 04-14-2010, 09:12 AM

What I took from that interview was Keith was trying to be nice to the guy by being modest.

For a beginning guitarist, I don't think there is much technical advice being offered, only the general encouragement of, "Hang in there, I have trouble playing in time, too."
Old 04-14-2010, 10:24 AM

Have played for just over 50 yrs. & never used a met. My 1st guitar teacher taught me to use my foot for the beat & to this day I always tap my foot. Works for me.
05 GRETSCH 6120 AM(THE PROM QUEEN)
03 FENDER JAGUAR REISSUE
86 GUILD G37
01 GUILD STARFIRE 4
99 GUILD F65CE
97 GUILD S4CE
06 FENDER STRAT

THE BEST PLACE TO FIND A HELPING HAND IS AT THE END OF YOUR ARM.

PRACTICE MAKES PERMANENT. ONLY PERFECT PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD