The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-10-2010, 04:28 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Please listen to this raw sound sample and comment

I adjusted the settings of my gear to try to reduce the use of "noise reduction" in Adobe Audition 1.5 as it kind of "muddies" the sound a bit. The problem is my Compaq computer's fan is running constantly lately (I probably have to vacuum the thing out). Please let me know how this sample sounds to you - too much noise, too quiet, etc.

Thanks.

background noise check

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Run me through your recording process step by step. Detail everything (how much gain is supplied by the preamp, the works). The recording is really quiet in that its barely ticking my VU meter but you have a tonne of hiss (which is commonly a result of driving a pre too hard) so theres a disconnect here or something I'm not seeing. I dunno what that scraping noise at the beginning is. What is that?

You are very close to your computer it seems since you can hear the mouse click at the end. If you have an external soundcard/mic pre combo, move it far away from your computer chasis and try to get some distance between yourself and your computer. Ideally, have the computer in a separate room.

Last edited by Pokiehat; 04-10-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokiehat View Post
Run me through your recording process step by step. Detail everything (how much gain is supplied by the preamp, the works). The recording is really quiet in that its barely ticking my VU meter but you have a tonne of hiss (which is commonly a result of driving a pre too hard) so theres a disconnect here or something I'm not seeing. I dunno what that scraping noise at the beginning is. What is that?

You are very close to your computer it seems since you can hear the mouse click at the end. If you have an external soundcard/mic pre combo, move it far away from your computer chasis and try to get some distance between yourself and your computer. Ideally, have the computer in a separate room.
Wow, that's totally different from what I hear on my system. Thanks for your input.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM

according to me it's perfect, if i squeezed such a recording out of my gear i would be happy. what mic do you record it with?
Old 04-12-2010, 06:18 AM

There is a constant hum/hiss/vibration in the background. It's not overpowering, but I can hear it.

I'd agree with PokieHat. If you're using an audio interface, see if you can move it away from the computer. Also, try placing the mic further away from the computer. If you're recording, by mic, directly into your computer, you may not be able to get rid of it at all.

YouTube (GuiTuber)
SoundCloud

My modest collection:
Hohner HGK-512 (no strings; lifted bridge)
Yamaha FG720S-12, w/ p'ups
Alvarez AJ60S, w/ p'ups
Ibanez AEB5 acoustic bass

Pickups: JBB-Electronics Prestige 330 (SBT) - finest quality at half the price

Recording gear:
Focusrite Saffire 6
MXL 990 and 991 condensor mics
Old 04-12-2010, 06:08 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivob View Post
according to me it's perfect, if i squeezed such a recording out of my gear i would be happy. what mic do you record it with?
Two mics, an AKG Perception 150 and a Rodes NT-5.

I didn't use any noise reduction, its completely raw. I bet the hiss is from one of two things - the fan of the computer or I have to back off the pre-amp a bit.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Charter Member

Hi Barry, yeah, that's a lot of noise. You've only got like 13db difference between the level of your sound and the level of the noise. That much noise would be a tough task for any noise reduction. Besides moving further from the computer, maybe you can get the mics closer to the guitar? With a computer for recording, you either need to be able to get as far from it as you can, box it in somehow, or better, move it into a different room. This is one reason the little Zoom, etc, gizmos are so nice when all you're doing is solo guitar. Totally silent recording. Shut off the computer, or record in a different room, then transfer and mix/edit. For solo guitar, it's a pretty foolproof (and cheap) solution that's good enough for a CD recording.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:42 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
Hi Barry, yeah, that's a lot of noise. You've only got like 13db difference between the level of your sound and the level of the noise. That much noise would be a tough task for any noise reduction. Besides moving further from the computer, maybe you can get the mics closer to the guitar? With a computer for recording, you either need to be able to get as far from it as you can, box it in somehow, or better, move it into a different room. This is one reason the little Zoom, etc, gizmos are so nice when all you're doing is solo guitar. Totally silent recording. Shut off the computer, or record in a different room, then transfer and mix/edit. For solo guitar, it's a pretty foolproof (and cheap) solution that's good enough for a CD recording.
Thanks Doug. I'm going to try backing off the pre-amp and moving the mics closer. I can't move farther from the computer.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD