The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-29-2010, 12:10 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Clearly the BEST software reverb I've ever encountered. Very musical. Great space.

I won't be selling my TC verbs but this is the first time I've ever heard software sound this good.
Yes but at $1900 list its beyond the reach of most home recording musicians.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:52 PM

I am curious if anyone here has tried, or use regularly, Aether. It has been receiving rave reviews.

I downloaded the trial and tried it on a couple of projects. I was impressed by how it sounded and found the interface to offer a lot of flexibility, albeit not entirely easy to decipher.
Old 03-29-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathdo View Post
Yes but at $1900 list its beyond the reach of most home recording musicians.
Yes but then its a Lexicon reverb and those things always were out of the reach of most home recording musicians. PCM Native gets you the reverb sans the chorus/phaser stuff and a metal box for half the price of a PCM96. Still very expensive of course and I'm done with the 2 week trial which is somewhat depressing because I know how good they are and I know I can't afford to drop 1.5k just like that. Oh well, back to normality for me. Ho hum.

I'd love it if they sold say, the halls and the plate reverb separately for like 300 bucks each or something. Then you just get the ones you need as you can afford them. But the way it stands the full package is a great deal if you were considering buying into a Lexicon unit anyway. The rest of us working class saps can get half way there for free with SIR and lexi impulses.

By the way, TC reverbs are sick nasty. Always wanted a System 6000. Never could afford one. I mean lets face it, the base price of an M6000 is a snip at something like $6,000. Some day when I'm rich and famous eh?

Last edited by Pokiehat; 03-29-2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
I am curious if anyone here has tried, or use regularly, Aether. It has been receiving rave reviews.

I downloaded the trial and tried it on a couple of projects. I was impressed by how it sounded and found the interface to offer a lot of flexibility, albeit not entirely easy to decipher.
Ron, I have had this a year or so now. So far I have rarely used it as a reverb of choice for acoustic guitar as I have not got it to sound that pleasant or to sound like a convincing space. That said it does have a lot of parameter controls including modulation controls so with enough patience I might be able to come up with some usable presets of my own.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roelioo View Post
I use a Taylor 814 and Cubase 5.
What reverb-type can i use for recording my acoustic guitar?
I am not familiar with Cubase but if it comes with plugins as part of the software, two types of verbs to try would be if there any that emulate a plate and or a room type. Maybe start with a preset like a guitar plate or a hall of some type .

Also as Larry said you have many more options if you record dry ( no FX ) and then experiment when mixing.

Also IMO you get a better result if instead of putting the verb on the audio gtr track itself. If your software allows for sends and aux tracks put the verb on an aux track then use send from the gtr track to the aux( usually via a bus) Start experimenting by reducing the volume on the verb aux track until you cant hear it working , then bring it back up to taste

One question are you recording only GTR or GTR and other vocals or instruments ?

If only GTR then discriminating use of verb can be nice. Although as someone suggested if within a mix Then you may choose not to use verb

For example I mostly do not use any verb for gtr in my mixes. I usually have 2 or 3 gtr parts. The main gtr track is almost always dry. However I will some times use a delay on the supporting gtr tracks . Plus I usually have a lead vocal and some background vocal highlights.

BTW I use a Taylor 810 for most of my recording you can audition the recording techniques I have been describing, on my myspace page in my sig line.
For example the first song "The Question " is almost verbatim the above description == no verb on any guitars or vocals . Delay on the little lead riffs. Cheers, Kev

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 03-29-2010, 08:00 PM

For hardware, the Lexicon 300 was always pretty amazing.

In software, I always use two stereo reverb plugins set differently.

To the OP, I missed it if you said how you wish to use the reverb. For recording, I go dry and then add as needed.

Live for my acoustic, or even my Tele, I like the builtin reverb on the Fishman SoloAmp, set to maximum model (4 or 5, I forget).

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 03-30-2010, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Ron, I have had this a year or so now. So far I have rarely used it as a reverb of choice for acoustic guitar as I have not got it to sound that pleasant or to sound like a convincing space. That said it does have a lot of parameter controls including modulation controls so with enough patience I might be able to come up with some usable presets of my own.
Thanks Rick. I never got a chance to demo it on solo guitar, so I appreciate your comments. I did use it on a folk/rock demo and it was quite amazing on the vocals.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD