The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-25-2021, 12:13 AM

It was mentioned earlier that there is an ear or inner ear situation that can often times cause vertigo in an individual. (look it up). Our regular doctor had no idea about the Epley technique. (did I spell that right?). I looked into it and found someone to take care of it. And it worked. Who knows how our doctor would have treated it. I will say our doctor was interested in the remedy. Good.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:01 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

I have had trouble with this every now again.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. It's miserable.

Take care...

- Glenn
Old 01-29-2021, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

I had this a couple of times in my 20's. No fun at all, and a big shock to have it suddenly appear. Mine was benign positional vertigo, probably caused by crystals in the ear canal. Went a away in a couple of weeks, was much better in a few days. +1 on the Eply exercises.

Sorry that happened to you.

Telemed is quite useful, they can do a lot of diagnostics over the phone, but it's also the way they screen people now to reduce in-person visits with COVID happening. They may pull you in for a visit afterwards. Anytime I can not take a trip or go to the doctor and get answers, it's a win. We use it frequently, as well as Zoom calls. And we go in when we need to. "Seeing" the doctor has changed permanently I think, and to me for the better.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:54 PM

Started having an issue with vertigo in my early 50’s. That is when “anti-vert” was still a prescription med for it. Now they just give you Dramamine, the OTC sea sickness med. It does work but makes me very tired. Have your doc check you over.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Good luck with the tele-med appointment. It's a start - they may be able to at least provide some insights, but as some others have mentioned, an ENT is probably the way to go.

I began to experience it several years back, along with general balance issues. After numerous tests between my ENT and a neurologist, I was diagnosed with superior canal dehiscence syndrome. Basically, a thinning of the bone at the top of my right semi-circular canal. Numerous symptoms, but occasional vertigo is one of them. I keep a prescription for meclizine on hand just in case I have a bout. Keep after it until you get it figured out and I hope you get it resolved quickly.

Best,
Austin
Old 01-31-2021, 10:24 AM

My condolences. I have experienced vertigo issues off and on for the past 35 years. Runs in my family. My mother spent most of her life enduring week long bouts of what she called her "swimmy head". Been to some of the best ENT and Neurology folks in the business and no firm diagnosis, other than that I most likely have a defective oculo-vestibular system. Along with the bouts of vertigo I have motion sickness of all kinds: boats absolutely but also planes, cars, fair rides, you name it. Always had to get a friend take my kids on the carnival rides because dad couldn't do it without fear of being sick for a week after. As for treatment, nothing really helps but hitting the bed and staying there until things stop spinning, then I face at least a month or more of a residual sick headache with near constant nausea. On the positive side, as with chronic migraine sufferers, I have pretty much learned to live with it, my spirits are good and I'm blessed to be able to do what I can do.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Along with the bouts of vertigo I have motion sickness of all kinds: boats absolutely but also planes, cars, fair rides, you name it....

On the positive side, as with chronic migraine sufferers, I have pretty much learned to live with it, my spirits are good and I'm blessed to be able to do what I can do.
First, great attitude, Spock. Human capacity to adapt and accept new "normals" as we encounter new challenges can be pretty remarkable.

Second, Kevin Costner's "Waterworld" would be my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd layers of hell (aside from being just a plain bad movie). I have to fly for work, so have learned to adapt, but you'll never catch me on a boat, large or small, for the rest of my days.

Austin
Old 01-31-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:
. . . but you'll never catch me on a boat, large or small, for the rest of my days.
Austin, Amen to that !!

Here's a 'funny' story about that. My father was a career Coast Guard guy, and his curse was that none of his family could enjoy his love of the sea with him because we all got deathly seasick. He always had to get the neighbor kids to go out on his cabin cruisers and sailboats with him. Pretty sad indeed. Anyway, once when I was about 12 or so, he asked if I wanted to go out on the cutter because they were going to be testing some of their weapons and throw line guns and the like. Now for a 12 year old that was pretty darned enticing but I respectfully declined owing to my known inability to handle being on the water. But he assured me that because we'd only be on the intracoastal waterway that things would be smooth and still as glass, and, oh by the way, they might also be practicing some live rescue maneuvers as well as shooting off the guns. Man o man, what to do? Finally, after making him promise at least 20 times that it would be just like being on land, I relented and climbed aboard. No longer than 20 minutes after setting off, and before any weapon testing or rescue operations had seen the light of day, they received a real search and rescue call concerning a plane that had gone down, and being unable to turn around to drop off a naive 12 year old back at the dock, we headed off into the Atlantic for a full week of searching and bobbing in 6-12 foot waves. Needless to say, I spent the entire time in the captain's quarters, in bed, sick as a dog, afraid I was going to die, and then afraid I wasn't.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:19 AM

holy cow Spock!! thats an incredible story!...anyway my deep sea fishing days are done. my vertigo is sort of going away.i'm in the plumbing and hvac field ,so right now we are installing hands free faucets ; when i climb under a sink; the vertigo comes back ;for 10 seconds ,but i hate that feeling.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:02 PM

eyesore, I'm glad to hear your vertigo is improving. Even though I do have stretches where I seem to be ok, certain things are always off limits, particularly anything that involves tilting my head back to look up or lying on my back. Obviously, I could never have done your job. You don't have a lot of good alternative options do you? And I know what you mean about 'that feeling'. It's hard to describe to someone who has never experienced it, but I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.
Old 02-01-2021, 08:11 PM

Yep, suffering from it as we speak.
Started a little over a week ago, but I was straight into the doctor.
I've had it before, and was diagnosed with Benign Postural Vertigo.
This time around, I had some sinus pain beforehand, and thought it might be an ear infection, but the doctor checked me over, and went straight to my blood pressure which was quite high.
After some blood tests, I'm now on blood pressure and cholesterol medication.
He also provided some anti-nausea/vertigo tablets, but they don't seen to be doing much.
If I still have them by the end of the week, I have to go back and they'll put me in for some scans.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar
Old 02-02-2021, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Yep, suffering from it as we speak.
Started a little over a week ago, but I was straight into the doctor.
I've had it before, and was diagnosed with Benign Postural Vertigo.
This time around, I had some sinus pain beforehand, and thought it might be an ear infection, but the doctor checked me over, and went straight to my blood pressure which was quite high.
After some blood tests, I'm now on blood pressure and cholesterol medication.
He also provided some anti-nausea/vertigo tablets, but they don't seen to be doing much.
If I still have them by the end of the week, I have to go back and they'll put me in for some scans.
My Best wishes to you my friend! Hope it works out and keep us posted.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:36 PM

Thanks mate, most appreciated.
I hope get yourself sorted soon too.
Thankfully mine are getting less frequent, and mostly when I lay down, or roll over in bed.
2022 Yamaha SLG200S Silent Guitar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic