The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
I got to hang around with Chris on the the tour behind this book.
Bob, Man o man, how cool is that? Would love to hear more about it.

Quote:
What book are you on?
Dru, Finished all three of them - liked them all but probably the 1st one the best. Getting ready to read Revival. Have you read it?
Old 03-31-2020, 09:35 PM

I'm a chain reader. Books are about the only thing I am snobbish about, but I like them extremely well-written. An engrossing tale is not enough. Just finished one that passed with flying colors. It may be the best I'll read this year. At the least it will be very hard to top: Patrick McGrath's Port Mungo.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post

Dru, Finished all three of them - liked them all but probably the 1st one the best. Getting ready to read Revival. Have you read it?
Hey Spock, yes, I read Revival 2 years ago. Very good book with an amazing ending. I was almost done the book when it struck me how much the writing, especially those last few dozen pages, reminded me of another great author. I won't spoil it for you but afterwards when I googled it I was correct.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:50 AM

Power of the Dog by Don Winslow. It’s a dense and convincing read, but about half way through I’m getting a bit jaded by the sadistic violence. I quite often feel like this about depictions of gangsters. Never liked mob films really. He’s a good writer though. Will have to try his non cartel stuff.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 AM

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/52490782-abigail

She's an excellent writer.
Old 04-01-2020, 08:56 AM

Just finishing Vincent Van Gogh biography by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith. Very detailed and not a light read (the authors are both Harvard Grad attorneys) but very interesting.
2017 D'angelico ES1 Archtop
2018 Taylor 914ce
2019 Martin HD-28e
Old 04-01-2020, 09:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock View Post
Oh, my network was a stop on the tour. There are three phases to these events: on camera or on stage, meeting with the public/promoters/producers/, and then down time while setting up, doing sound check, between takes or performances, etc. At our place, performers will often come back to the audio control room to get a playback with the good monitors to make sure we aren't screwing up their sound. Until they get called back, they'll hang around in the swivel chairs and blow off time where no-one is watching them. My friend (a guitarist) who was mixing his performance in the particular control room where he was, knew I was a guitarist with some classical training and discretion so he called me in. I pulled up a chair and whenever Christopher wasn't working the three of us would talk life and a little shop.

Because we work with artists. we've learned a different way to interact. The public, the promoters, and the producers, are busy doing the fame and fan thing. The technical professionals have to be able to cut through the artist/fan barrier so we act like nobody and treat the artist like a normal Joe. No pictures are shot, no glad-handing is expected. Everyone is able to let down their hair, including the artists. You'll see 'em cranked back in a chair and relaxed. You talk about what they want to talk about.

I think we talked about the mountains. He owned a property on a mountain river in the west and I used to live just outside the Great Smoky Mountains.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-01-2020, 06:37 PM

Bob, Very interesting. Thank you for that - I do genuinely appreciate it.

Tim

PS I clicked on your link and looked around your site. Very very cool and a ton of great information there, some of which I actually understood. Ha Ha
Old 04-02-2020, 04:12 AM

I must confess I don't like reading novels but I do enjoy writing. I think I've written more books than I've read (none worth publishing). However, reading through everyone's comments has filled me with a sense of envy and realisation.

Whilst I will read through manuals and articles that can be dipped in and out of I find it very difficult to sit down and concentrate on a 'book'.

The envy results from a sense I may be missing out on something special as I read through your comments but as yet it fails to grab my interest.

The realisation is that for years I have found it very difficult to understand people who claim they have no interest in Music yet, compared to all the avid readers here I feel that is me.

Although I don't share the passion it is good to know that books still have an important place in the world. Perhaps one day I will find it.

Enjoy it everyone.

YouTube
Old 04-02-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy the dog View Post
I must confess I don't like reading novels but I do enjoy writing. I think I've written more books than I've read (none worth publishing). However, reading through everyone's comments has filled me with a sense of envy and realisation.

Whilst I will read through manuals and articles that can be dipped in and out of I find it very difficult to sit down and concentrate on a 'book'.

The envy results from a sense I may be missing out on something special as I read through your comments but as yet it fails to grab my interest.

The realisation is that for years I have found it very difficult to understand people who claim they have no interest in Music yet, compared to all the avid readers here I feel that is me.

Although I don't share the passion it is good to know that books still have an important place in the world. Perhaps one day I will find it.

Enjoy it everyone.
Ozzy, you could probably take your words and write a great book from it. He who lacks the appreciation of things that impassion others. Do you write fiction, what genre?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Ozzy, you could probably take your words and write a great book from it. He who lacks the appreciation of things that impassion others. Do you write fiction, what genre?
Thanks Dru, that's an interesting idea. Most of what I write is personalised poetry/stories (usually humorous) to celebrate occasions. I have written some full length stories (90K + words) which I would describe as Quirky/Sci-Fi or observational but my writing is like my singing - I enjoy it but I can't imagine anyone else feeling the same.

In line with this thread, although I can't really recommend any good reads, I always remember my wife being very moved by reading Terry Waite's 'Taken on Trust' so if I were to get stuck into a book, that's probably where I would go first.

Fred.

YouTube
Old 04-02-2020, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I just started this - the seventh installment of the great Shardlake series.

As I officially retired yesterday, it seemed like a great time to tackle an 800+ page novel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (46.7 KB, 119 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-02-2020, 05:30 PM

I'm about halfway through "The Lights of Marfa" - an autobiography of Doyle Dykes. One of the best reads in years...
Old 04-02-2020, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash Rambler View Post
The Night Fire by Michael Connelly
Just finished his "The Reversal" and now onto "The Narrows." Love every book of his I've read, which is a lot!
scott
Old 04-02-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
I'm a chain reader. Books are about the only thing I am snobbish about, but I like them extremely well-written. An engrossing tale is not enough. Just finished one that passed with flying colors. It may be the best I'll read this year. At the least it will be very hard to top: Patrick McGrath's Port Mungo.
Readers must not get him because the reviews are pretty pedestrian.
scott
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic