The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-26-2021, 03:39 PM

Default Any Numismatists (coin collectors) here?

I am going through my Dad's coin collection and trying to determine a ballpark value. It's mostly silver American eagles with a few other varieties in the mix.

Unlike guitars, I know nothing about this hobby so maybe someone can steer me in the right direction. I put them all into a spreadsheet. I can post that if someone wants to eyeball it. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-27-2021, 05:53 AM

Well, I can tell you the value is based on condition of the coins, and how common or uncommon a certain year/mint is for the ones in the collection.

There are some books that you can look at that help a bit to decide what grade a coin is and what the ball park value is.

if I was you, and to get the best shot at figuring out the real value, see if there are any coin shops in your area.

AFAIK Most do offer an appraisal service, which costs vary depending on the size of the collection. They should be able to help. If you were for example, looking to insure it, that information would be needed when you called to get it added to a policy or what ever.
Old 01-27-2021, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

If it is primarily U.S. coins, the Red Book is a good starting point. Silver Eagles are very popular and silver is in the $25 per ounce range now. You might check with a local coin club in your area for suggestions on a dealer that will treat you right. Bullion is pretty straight forward whereas raw coins or ones in a plastic slab with a grade assigned can vary quite a bit as coin grading is subjective and the values can really jump between grades. There may be some coins that have a sentimental value as well. EBay can give you some idea as well.

Best of luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic