The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-23-2021, 07:30 PM

Default "N"GD: Rainsong H-DR1100N2

Well, after years of kicking around the idea I finally got my first CF guitar today. I spent most of the day on the road so I haven't had an opportunity to take photos just yet, but I sure am stoked. I travel a great deal and spend about 7-8 weeks each summer leading music for camps, some have indoor auditoriums while others have open-air facilities, so I believe the CF guitar will fill a great need in my repertoire. The one thing I will need to do is install a pickup and I'm wondering what direction some of you have gone (or would go) when choosing an aftermarket pickup for your Rainsong. I found a couple old threads, but was just curious if anyone had walked this road recently. Thanks in advance and thanks for letting me share!

Saville OM - Adi/EIR
Rainsong H-DR1100N2 FS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...45#post7101945
Yamaha AC3M
Yamaha FS800
Old 01-24-2021, 05:03 AM
Charter Member

I have minimal needs for amplification but had a K&K Pure Mini installed in my V-DR1100N2. Sounds really good...
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-25-2021, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddcee81 View Post
The one thing I will need to do is install a pickup and I'm wondering what direction some of you have gone (or would go) when choosing an aftermarket pickup for your Rainsong. !
I have a K&K pure mini in my Rainsong Shorty. It's been mostly really good. However, I have learned that unless your runs to the board are short, you really want to pack along a DI box with ground lift.

If I had to do it again, I would have the jack installed 2" counterclockwise (down when playing) instead of at the traditional endpin location. I'm starting to really appreciate having a separate endpin and jack. I had Emerald install the jack this way on my Chimaera.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 01-25-2021, 10:04 AM

For a retro-fit option, the K&K and Schatten pickups seem like the best bet. Easy to install, easy to remove, easy to use. You could have a traditional under-saddle pickup installed (Fishman, LR Baggs, etc) also. You might look at stompbox-style preamps, which would give you the ability to control tone and output volume (some have onboard tuners, DI outputs, or boost functions and effects also).

Sounds like a good fit for the types of environments you'll be playing in. So nice to have an instrument that boldly goes wherever you take it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber