The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-22-2021, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Default Epiphone 50s and 60s vs new 59?

I recently picked up an Epiphone gold top 50s Les Paul. It's a very cool guitar. Now that the new 59 model is out, and since I'm still in the return window, is there any real reason to return the 50s and upgrade to the new 59? I like the neck on the 50s model, so no issue there. What say yes, electric guitar folks?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:15 PM

It seems the ‘59 gets all Gibson USA electronics(pick ups, caps, switch and jack) with a solid maple AAA top, not a veneer. Has the nice inspired by headstock. Same ‘59 carve neck as what you have now and will cost you a couple hundred more. I said this in another thread, if I didn’t just get my gibson studio I would have bought one of these new inspired by models from Epiphone.
Frankie
Old 01-22-2021, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
It seems the ‘59 gets all Gibson USA electronics (pick ups, caps, switch and jack) with a solid maple AAA top, not a veneer...
From the Epiphone website:
Quote:
"Made in partnership with the Gibson™ Custom Shop, the Limited Edition 1959 Les Paul™ Standard is Epiphone's stunning recreation of the rare vintage classic. Featuring a mahogany body with a maple top with a AAA figured maple veneer, comfortable 1959 hand-rolled neck profile with long neck tenon, aged finish, Gibson USA BurstBucker™ 2 & 3 humbucking pickups, Switchcraft® selector switch and output jack, CTS® pots, 50s era wiring, Mallory™ capacitors, non-beveled pickguard, new Epiphone Deluxe vintage tuners, and a vintage-style brown hard case. It also comes with an Epiphone Limited Edition metal medallion toggle switchplate. Available in Aged Dark Burst and Aged Dark Cherry Burst."
Personally, I'll wait for a '63 LP/SG Custom - 3-PU, period-correct skinny neck, white/gold, Maestro vibrato - for around $700 street w/HSC...
Old 01-23-2021, 02:10 AM

Premier tonewoods, head to toe

The late-'50s Les Paul recipe is maple on mahogany. And that's exactly what you get in the Epiphone 1959 Les Paul Standard. The solid AAA flame maple cap boasts a rich natural figuring and imparts a snappy tonal quality to the rich, resonant, full-weight mahogany body. The 24.75"-scale mahogany neck

This is the copy from Sweetwater site Steve...
I would like to think its not a verneer at that price but I must stand corrected. And in any case BoneDigger, this is an exceptional guitar. A 1/64” piece of maple verneer would not deter me from purchase if I were in fact in the market for a sub $1k Les Paul. This is a “no mod” platform. You don’t need to upgrade the electronics to have a Gibson level performer. And the fact it is not a weight relieved mahogany body keeps all that sustain LP’s are known for.

Last edited by Chickee; 01-23-2021 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:01 PM

If the '59 has USA pickups and a real maple cap (and if the 50s doesn't have those two items) I'd swap.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:15 PM
Charter Member

I returned the 50s gold top and ordered the 59 burst.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
I returned the 50s gold top and ordered the 59 burst.
Sweet! Let us know how it turns out, Todd.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Dru! I'll post a NGD when it arrives and give my opinions.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars