The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-22-2020, 10:26 PM

I just don't get the great reviews for this album, I thought it sounded childish, for songs that went nowhere, and even the mix sounded digital for lack of a better word. I can't believe that this is the same musician that wrote "She's Leaving Home", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday", Blackbird, etc. Yes there were some little snippets here and there, that hinted at the songwriter he was, but seriously, if he wasn't Paul McCartney I seriously doubt anyone would be hailing the greatness of this album. I was glad it was a free listen on Amazon Prime so I didn't waste any money on it. As a matter of fact I keep on buying his solo records and keep on being disappointed. Right after listening to it, I listened to George Harrison's remastered "All Things Must Pass" to remind me how good a solo Beatle record could be.

I am much more excited by the upcoming Get Back project!
Old 12-23-2020, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I just don't get the great reviews for this album, I thought it sounded childish, for songs that went nowhere, and even the mix sounded digital for lack of a better word. I can't believe that this is the same musician that wrote "She's Leaving Home", "Eleanor Rigby", "Yesterday", Blackbird, etc. Yes there were some little snippets here and there, that hinted at the songwriter he was, but seriously, if he wasn't Paul McCartney I seriously doubt anyone would be hailing the greatness of this album. I was glad it was a free listen on Amazon Prime so I didn't waste any money on it. As a matter of fact I keep on buying his solo records and keep on being disappointed. Right after listening to it, I listened to George Harrison's remastered "All Things Must Pass" to remind me how good a solo Beatle record could be.

I've been saying the exact same thing to everyone I know... I can't believe the same guy who wrote all those famous hit songs decades ago is the same guy who wrote the music on McCartney 3.

Paul is my favorite musician, but his songwriting now is just not anywhere close to what it once was.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-27-2020, 02:27 PM

I've listened to this album 4 times. I'm hoping I'll eventually like it... But that doesn't seem like it's happening.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-27-2020, 03:43 PM

I am of the opinion that McCartney stopped being great the minute he left The Beatles. Ditto-ish John Lennon. Unlike George Harrison who was far better alone than with The Beatles.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
I am of the opinion that McCartney stopped being great the minute he left The Beatles. Ditto-ish John Lennon. Unlike George Harrison who was far better alone than with The Beatles.
You don't like Wings? They had some very good songs. Venus and Mars (in my opinion) is an amazing album.

I don't really know George's solo work. I'll check that out.
Gibson G-45 Studio
Martin X1-DE
Washburn WP21SNS
Taylor 110
Mitchell D120
Old 12-27-2020, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post

I would have loved to love it.

I also have Amazon Prime, so I struggled to listen to the entire album. There were a couple of tunes I'd listen to again, but not much of it. It's one of those "I'll never get that thirty minutes of my life back" listens. Giving it a chance while I'm cooking or doing the dishes makes it seem like less of a waste.

The very worst thing about the holiday season is having to listen to "Simply Having A Wonderful Christmas Time" again. Thank heavens for the mute function!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN