The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-23-2020, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to check out youtube and see which have some good tutorials. Pinball Wizard seem to fit the bill the most. It's the kind of song that people just fill in the words themselves since its so well known.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:22 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Sounds all too familiar.....

Years ago when I was a kid I was doing the same thing, looking for good songs to strum (I'm a non-singer too). That was what planted the seed in the back of my mind that there had to be a better way to play guitar, that there was more.

Sounds like this is a good time to start learning finger style Paul.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I don't understand how you can "strum" a song.
if you are just "strumming" you are just going through a chord progression, and that is not a "song" as such.
I'm assuming your comment is in earnest. If I've misread you this will make me seem foolish.

Entirely dependent on how you do it. Yes, simple harmonic progressions with long static passages played with no rhythmic interest probably won't grab an audience. A good singer over the top of the same thing might carry the day, but not as a solo guitar piece. Played badly enough (or if the progression is so generic) one might not be able to even identify the song (even if you know it).

I'll leave rhythm out, just to simplify things and keep this post to a reasonable length. And I won't mention volume dynamics or tonal color which also can come into play for interest, but have less to do with making it sound like a recognizable song.

But one can do a lot with functional harmony and moving notes inside a strummed chord, even if you define strumming as simple up or down chops. Yes, with some songs one would need to re-arrange them to make them more compelling as solo guitar instrumentals strummed. Which is why I mentioned Pinball Wizard as a song that has already done most of that arranging work--though I'd want to hit those Entwistle prominent bass notes in some register if I was arranging it for solo guitar.

Is that cheating if one strums only one note at times? How about Freddie Green two-note chops? Which points out another way to outline a melody if one is strumming only: lots more chords per measure.

Much of this is something I'm only learning about how to deploy myself as I've defined myself as "a composer"* rather than a musician in old age. Besides having little musical theory knowledge, I've often been drawn over my years to musical styles that don't make use of chordal movement that pays attention to functional harmony (a lot of folk musics around the world don't, and are still obviously effective styles that have their audiences).

So again my apologies if your comment was meant to read ironically or as a more personalized "good if you can do it, but I wouldn't" comment. I just wanted to point this other approach out. I've learned from you and appreciated your comments over the years here.

*I cringe at calling myself that still. Composer just means to me someone who creates music by any means necessary, rather than one who can play what they or others have composed using a skill set that isn't the same as the composing skill set (though many composers have musicians skills in various amounts, some large amounts of them!). I mean something like Brian Eno used to mean when he would claim in interviews provocatively that he's not a musician.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-23-2020, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Paul,

Being primarily a strummer I am enjoying this thread -- THANKS for starting it ! We all know that "strumming" can represent a broad array of styles, touch, emphasis, flow, attack, cadence, etc. -- and IMHO is an artful form of creative expression for players of all talent levels. New songs ideas are always a great way to enhance our strumming skills and encourage us to try different things. Thanks again, and I've enjoyed the replies posted thus far!

Cheers!
Old 02-23-2020, 01:01 PM

There are a lot of words involved but "I've Just Seen A Face" is a very fun strummer.

Old 02-23-2020, 06:59 PM

Strumming of chords has the purpose to accompany a melody both in terms of providing supporting harmonies as well as rhythm. In itself it can serve as exercise, as well as it can be very relaxing for the player though usually is quite annoying to listeners.

There are many chord sequences that are pleasing but you need to go beyond the I-IV-V combinations and include minor chords and key changes to make it "interesting". Good examples of songs are already provided. If you don't want to sing, then whistle or use a kazoo, or even better find friends with melody instruments such as fiddle or flute that can benefit from the support of a strummer.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:21 PM

Norwegian Wood-Beatles
Old 02-24-2020, 04:25 AM

Paul McCartney's Junk.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:11 AM

I am enjoying this thread. I'll recommend Brian May/Queen's '39. Check out this video:

I don't sing or play for audiences, so I just listen to the singer inside my head when I play. He/She's terrific!
Old 02-24-2020, 08:24 AM

Talking

If you're alone, then any song you hear in your head can be good to strum to. If someone else is listening they may tire of it quickly. At least that's what my wife told me.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:43 PM

Gotta throw in Guantanamera. It can go around and around forever.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golffishny View Post
If you're alone, then any song you hear in your head can be good to strum to. If someone else is listening they may tire of it quickly. At least that's what my wife told me.
Not really. There are a ton of songs that basically repeat the same chords three or four times with maybe on bridge. If you aren't singing with it, it's too repetitive. That's why songs with lots of different sections (Pinball Wizard is a good example) seem to work better.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1 View Post
Paul McCartney's Junk.
That's a rather suggestive title for a song.

I've not heard that one.

Last edited by MHC; 02-24-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:05 PM
Charter Member

Paul,

Major 7th chords make strumming songs come to life. A couple that come to mind are "Tell Her No" by the Zombies and "Save it For a Rainy Day" by Stephen Bishop. Another is "Hooked on a Feeling" by BJ Thomas.

GREAT THREAD !
Old 02-24-2020, 03:12 PM

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion