The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-20-2019, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Congrats...
Thanks. I’m going to have to learn how to do a ii minor 7th, V 7th, I major 7th progression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
So glad your gal arrived safely! Having played several of Dale’s guitars (but not yours), I would call the tone, “just right”!
Yep, I played my Fairbanks so much yesterday my callouses started to shed. Maybe 5 hours total? That’s a lot in one day for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Outstanding guitar!
Thanks, Haasome. Dale is quite talented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Great to see this one made it safe and sound as well! As I mentioned in the other Fairbanks thread, I’ve enjoyed seeing these guitars come together here and in Dale’s Instagram posts.

It turned out great. Looks fantastic and sounds equally wonderful — I enjoyed the recording!

I really like the mint green case with gold lining contrasted with the beautiful sunburst — in a backwards sort of way it reminds me of a vintage car-color Stratocaster sitting inside one of those brown/gold or tweed G&G cases. Super classy!

Enjoy the guitar!
Jeff Hoffee made it pretty clear the case color wouldn’t be guaranteed. I agree that the color came out great and is very much a vintage car/Fender color. Since I love vintage Fenders and vintage cars, it all works well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
A wonderful guitar!

Cool hearing the same tune on your guitar as I played on those vintage SJs! Alas, that Mediocre Ditty® doesn't sound mediocre in your hands.
Too kind, as per usual. I’m going to give more recordings a go this year. I played with the H4n in a few different locations and was pleased with the end result after a couple of hours of messing around. I guess a lot of people recommend recording at a relatively low level and then normalizing in post processing. In recordings subsequent to the one linked above, I played with the location of the microphone and got it to sound a bit closer to the live sound (or at least my perception of it as the player).
Old 01-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewpartrick View Post
Excellent!
Party on, Wayne!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
It's a stunner Juston; that sunburst has to be my favourite of all time!
A would say it’s definitely a favorite of mine, but most certainly not a favourite. Come visit soon, Col!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deft Tungsman View Post
Holy moly! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more beautiful sunburst! Love all the details, and the case looks like a big pistachio ice cream cake. Congratulations!

Just one suggestion : pick up that flatpick, warm up them vocal chords, channel your inner West Virginian twang child and strum away. You’ll see, the future is brighter in the past!
Agree I should summer the inner West Virginian, but there are only so many hours in a day. One of these days! I’d love to learn to flatpick and play a little bluegrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohr View Post
Wow what a fantastic journey, Keeping history alive.
It was definitely nice of Dale to take all the photos. It can be a pain, I’m sure, to pause when you’re in the zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wezzywest View Post
Beautiful guitar, thanks for uploading all the images along the way. And to Dale for taking the time to document the build. Enjoy in good health.
I enjoyed doing the build thread. I’ll try to do some more recordings as time permits.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

I should also mention Dale is a hell of a nice guy and super fun to work with.
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
I should also mention Dale is a hell of a nice guy and super fun to work with.
I'll second that. It's also a pretty funny experience to try carry on a serious conversation in his shop while his younger son, Julian, is climbing up your back, hoping to get to all the neat stuff in stored the rafters.
Old 01-21-2019, 12:20 PM

Default Success

Another successful commission build! Congratulations. Look forward to hearing some clips when you get around to it.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

I've been able to do this a number of times now, but it always shocks me how much an instrument will change in the first several hours of playing. With as many hours as I have spare time to put on it (probably 10 at this point), I have really laid into the strings.

It's really starting to sweeten up. The attack is starting to compress slightly and there is more bloom to the notes. It's the usual development I hear in new guitars, but it has taken this guitar to the next level. Truly incredible tone and power. I'm very, very impressed.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:48 AM

Very cool. Thanks for sharing this with us. I need another opportunity to play that guitar, which I loved when I played it shortly after Dale strung it up.

Quote:
I've been able to do this a number of times now, but it always shocks me how much an instrument will change in the first several hours of playing. With as many hours as I have spare time to put on it (probably 10 at this point), I have really laid into the strings.

It's really starting to sweeten up. The attack is starting to compress slightly and there is more bloom to the notes. It's the usual development I hear in new guitars, but it has taken this guitar to the next level. Truly incredible tone and power. I'm very, very impressed.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:30 AM
Charter Member

Ten hours, huh? Already? With your crazy schedule?Dude, do you EVER sleep?

Great to hear how she’s opening up to your steel-clawed caress. Thus, the real journey begins!
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-23-2019, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Ten hours, huh? Already? With your crazy schedule?Dude, do you EVER sleep?

Great to hear how she’s opening up to your steel-clawed caress. Thus, the real journey begins!
It's been raining here, so we've been house bound too many days. I've been playing every chance I get.

Run, don't walk, to your nearest Fairbanks dealer.
Old 01-25-2019, 03:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Run, don't walk, to your nearest Fairbanks dealer.
Better yet, indulge your other passion, saddle up and bike on over.
1974 Alvarez/Yairi CY120
2010 Baranik Parlor
2013 Circa OM-18
2014 Claxton OM Traditional
2014 Blackbird Rider
Old 01-25-2019, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Better yet, indulge your other passion, saddle up and bike on over.
Better yet, cycle with Dale (who usually rides a fixie).
Old 01-25-2019, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Better yet, cycle with Dale (who usually rides a fixie).
Ok ...translate for us poor Aussies! "fixie"= Fixed wheels?
Old 01-25-2019, 10:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Ok ...translate for us poor Aussies! "fixie"= Fixed wheels?
Fixies are what the super cool kids ride around town. They are fixed gearing (single speed) with no free hub in the rear. So any time the wheels are rolling the pedals are turning. They are used for track racing because they’re very efficient, but I’m not hip enough to ride a fixie. Navigating through city traffic is hard enough. I don’t need the pedals beating my legs to death when I’m trying to stop!
Old 01-26-2019, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Fixies are what the super cool kids ride around town. They are fixed gearing (single speed) with no free hub in the rear. So any time the wheels are rolling the pedals are turning. They are used for track racing because they’re very efficient, but I’m not hip enough to ride a fixie. Navigating through city traffic is hard enough. I don’t need the pedals beating my legs to death when I’m trying to stop!
I'm neither cool enough nor young enough to ride a fixie!

The insane bicycle delivery cyclists in NYC typically ride fixies.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:26 AM

Quote:
I'm neither cool enough nor young enough to ride a fixie!

The insane bicycle delivery cyclists in NYC typically ride fixies.
Quote:
Thanks....I'd hate to ride one down a hill!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop