The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-19-2018, 02:25 PM

Default Country music? I don’t think so

I know I’m late to the game, but I figured all the grousing about the music coming out of Nashville was over-exaggeration. I just watched a broadcast of the CMA Fest, though, and all I could think of was a line from Waylon: ‘I don't think Hank done it this way.’ I saw stadium rock, R’nB, soul, pop ballads, yes, but country? Nope. Is it possible that tattoos, torn shorts, cowboy hats and boots are all that it takes?
Old 08-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj View Post
I know I’m late to the game, but I figured all the grousing about the music coming out of Nashville was over-exaggeration. I just watched a broadcast of the CMA Fest, though, and all I could think of was a line from Waylon: ‘I don't think Hank done it this way.’ I saw stadium rock, R’nB, soul, pop ballads, yes, but country? Nope. Is it possible that tattoos, torn shorts, cowboy hats and boots are all that it takes?

Well, all that plus trucks, boats, red solo cups and the requisite "Millennial Whoop" thrown in your song over and over … and over...and..
Old 08-19-2018, 03:06 PM

I could get into a long-winded dissertation about music today as it is presented by the "country music" money machine. I won't.
Dude, it sells. That's it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-19-2018, 03:17 PM

This song seems to work for me;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK1Vrur_ewM

Fog

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 08-20-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: embed video
Old 08-19-2018, 03:46 PM

I love the new country, basically anything from the past 20 years. Not a fan of the majority of country music from the 80's back or anything too twangy.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
That's the irony to me when I see these posts. Hank Jr. and Waylon acknowledged that they weren't "real" country either. Hank Sr. also wasn't "real" country of his age either. This happens every generation, I'm afraid.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:48 PM

That's why there's so many genres and styles of music. Find the one(s) that work for you and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2018, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

I get a kick out of the country accents when they sing. That is seriously phony.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-19-2018, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

So it's evolved. I don't necessarily like it, but there ya are. As long as there is a human causing the notes to sound, OK. I think they still do that in Country.

What gets to me is when there is a lot going on sonically, but there are no instruments in view; just a couple of guys in front of some computers and other boxes and no one is actually moving all that much . . . . where is it all coming from?

Take a spin around the various MTV channels and you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:10 PM

I'm of mixed opinion on todays country. I like some of it and I hate most of it!I'd say for every good song, there's 15 bad ones. My favorite country will always be 90's country CLOSELY followed by Buck, Waylon, Merle and a few others. I also really like Ray Price and Wynn Stewart.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 PM

Country music has always been evolving. I remember when John Denver and Olivia Newton-John had country hits in the 70s and many complained they weren’t country....so this has always been an ongoing problem or complaint.

Maybe it’s a generational thing as country music evolves away from what each of us likes and defines what is country music for ourselves?

It did happen to me. There is a lot of country music from the 50s through the mid 90s that I just love. But for myself after the mid to late 90s I pretty much can’t stand today’s country music with a very rare exception here and there.

I won’t say it isn’t country....it’s just the type of country music I don’t care for.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:31 PM

There is good country music today, but you aren't going to hear it on the radio minus Chris Stapleton. There's the awful Nashville formula with "girl, tailgate, jacked up truck, and blue jeans painted on tight".

Speaking of classic country which I'm a big fan of, I've been on a Vern Gosdin kick lately. Hard to beat some Set ' em up Joe.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
Well, all that plus trucks, boats, red solo cups and the requisite "Millennial Whoop" thrown in your song over and over … and over...and..

And don’t forget the I IV V vi chords! [emoji23]
Old 08-20-2018, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Urban cowboys and pavement princesses making with the drawl as best they can. Been that way for a long time.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I could get into a long-winded dissertation about music today as it is presented by the "country music" money machine. I won't.
Dude, it sells. That's it.
This is it.

When music became an industry, and t started a pretty long time ago, there were the "middle men" that owned the studios and more importantly the labels, would publish/record ONLY that stuff that they knew they could sell regardless of "quality".

Now country music is about the "show" and it is largely just rockpop in costumes - big hats, for the men, leotards for the wimmins.

Sure some of the stars can sing, and the session musicians can still play, but the songwriters generally (there are exceptions) are bound to use the same formulas repeatedly.

However, there is some good stuff out there - rarely on the larger labels, but it's there :

and so much more.

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 08-20-2018 at 10:53 AM. Reason: edit content

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic