The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Default NGD Coming Soon! Gibson J15

I've been wanting one of these for quite some time. I saw them on the Sweetwater website the other day marked as "Yellow Tag". I called my sales rep and asked about it. It turned out to be a pretty good discount so I jumped on it. He assured me it was for a brand new 2018 guitar, not a blem or demo model. He also said they offer a free PLEKing service and so they will PLEK it before shipping it. I have heard this term before but didn't know much about it so he described what that was. I have played J15's in stores & don't recall playing a dud but have never bought an acoustic online before. I had 4 to pick from and could only go by the pictures. I hope I picked a good one! At least I can always return it. What was also impressive is after placing my order he forwarded pictures of the actual guitar I purchased. Now the agonizing wait... In the meantime I'll see if I can successfully post a few of the pics he sent me.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-19-2018, 01:47 PM

Well that picture was successful, here's a few more.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-19-2018, 01:55 PM

Congrats on a great score! Just as info, Gibson PLEKS the guitars at the factory, so I wonder what SW can add to that.

Play yer new axe in good health!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:05 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Congrats, great guitar. Enjoy it!

The wait is the worst.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-19-2018, 02:13 PM

I have played a few J15's. They are nice guitars.
The best one I ever played was a used one traded in at GC.
Shoulda' bought it, sounded great. I could have gotten it for under $1200, had some blemishes, but nothing terrible

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-19-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljay View Post
Congrats on a great score! Just as info, Gibson PLEKS the guitars at the factory, so I wonder what SW can add to that.

Play yer new axe in good health!
I thought I had heard that Gibson did that so, you're right, it seems like a waste. I have heard good things about SW checking guitars out pretty before shipping, though.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:13 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Good for you! I had one once and they are nice guitars...especially at that price point. May be the best bang for the buck in acoustics these days. Congrats!

Old 08-19-2018, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
I've been wanting one of these for quite some time. I saw them on the Sweetwater website the other day marked as "Yellow Tag". I called my sales rep and asked about it. It turned out to be a pretty good discount so I jumped on it. He assured me it was for a brand new 2018 guitar, not a blem or demo model. He also said they offer a free PLEKing service and so they will PLEK it before shipping it. I have heard this term before but didn't know much about it so he described what that was. I have played J15's in stores & don't recall playing a dud but have never bought an acoustic online before. I had 4 to pick from and could only go by the pictures. I hope I picked a good one! At least I can always return it. What was also impressive is after placing my order he forwarded pictures of the actual guitar I purchased. Now the agonizing wait... In the meantime I'll see if I can successfully post a few of the pics he sent me.
[IMG][/IMG]
Don't know if you bought before after me but I picked the one that had the flame discolor look on the back from the rear strap and up the middle really odd and unique
Old 08-19-2018, 04:33 PM

Just noticed that there were 2 NGD J-15 posts directly next to each other.. kinda cool.. a new Gibson is always a good day in my book!

Congrats to both of you. I have played a few myself, not many, but in particular the one J-15 that's hanging in my local shop right now has a *really* nice sounding bottom/mid frequencies..i went in there the other day just to play it for 20 or 30 minutes. Very nice guitars.

Enjoy in good health, as others have said!

Scott
Fishman | Loudbox Mini | Primetone 1.0mm

"what is the universe? the universe is a symphony of vibrating strings.." -michio kaku
Old 08-19-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Don't know if you bought before after me but I picked the one that had the flame discolor look on the back from the rear strap and up the middle really odd and unique
They had 4 of them listed to choose from when I ordered and since I had choose on pictures, I picked the one I thought had a nice and distinct wood grain on the back. It was a tough choice as I thought they all looked good.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 PM

You will love the J-15 - I’ve had mine about a year and really dig it.

Slap some Curt Mangan PB Traditional Lights (12-53’s) on that bad boy and prepare to be thrilled.
Alvarez MD60BG
Yamaha LL16RD
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Player Stratocaster
Old 08-19-2018, 11:53 PM

I just got a J-15 (demo model) at a good price. I remembered having played one in a store and liked it - but I have to say I was dearly impressed when I received this one home! It is truly a great guitar, impeccable craftmanship and setup, beautiful, wonderful, mellow-ish, dry but toneful sound, great playability. Only thing I would probably change is the gloss finish on the neck - I prefer a satin neck. And the thing is a little big for my right shoulder (being used to 000 sized guitars) - but I guess that just goes with the territory that is Gibson J
Old 08-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmac62 View Post
....I picked the one I thought had a nice and distinct wood grain on the back....
Good pick! That back is stunning. I've played a few J-15s. They've all sounded great. Congrats!

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 08-20-2018, 06:45 AM

I've played a few & really liked them.

Congrats, and nice choice BTW!
Old 08-20-2018, 07:18 AM

Thank you all for the positive responses. It seems a bit hard to find many negetive reviews on these models.
I’m not familiar with the Baggs system that comes on it or Baggs products in general. Of the J15’s I’ve tried I didn’t try them plugged in. Anyone care to share their recording and/or gigging experience with the pickup system on these?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion