The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-12-2018, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

Default Questions about flamenco strings and other newb questions.

I’m trying various strings on my new crossover guitar and I’m curious about flamenco strings. I’m not really playing flamenco or classical, I’m just playing fingerstyle and looking for a brighter sound than I’m getting from regular nylon strings, especially on the 3rd string.

Also, does string color matter? I notice many strings come in clear or black.

I also discovered that there are some sets with wound 3rd strings and composite 3rds and wondering how that contributes to the sound.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-12-2018, 06:37 AM

What you are looking for are fluorocarbon strings, a different material to nylon. A packet of fluorocarbon strings will have basses that are made of nylon, so it only refers to the trebles.

My favourite carbon strings are:

Knobloch CX actives
Hannabach Goldin

Bare in mind that carbon strings have a higher tension than nylon strings, so a packet of nylon strings that says medium tension does not equate to medium tension carbon strings.

I'd advise getting medium tension carbon strings first to see how you like them. Then got high tension if you want to.

Be ware also of sets of carbon strings that have the 1st string out of balance (tension wise) from the 2nd and 3rd strings. I find the Savarez Alliance set, for example, way out of balance.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-12-2018, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

I tried Hannabach carbons, but I didn’t try the Goldin. The regular carbons still sounded thuddy to me, but to be fair, I might not have given them enough time to stretch and settle in. My guitar has a yellow cedar top, so I’m wondering if it needs more tension to “drive” the top.

I’ve also tried the Thomatik Infeld Classic S and the Pearse Folk strings. I like the sound, but the wraps make them noisy when my fingernail hits them.

I know, picky, picky.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:45 AM

I've not tried Hannabach carbons, but if I am right, they have very very high tension. Another possibility is that they choked up your top.

Have a try of the goldin or knoblochs.

Supposedly Savarez Alliance are the brightest of the brightest (I used them for a while), but as I have mentioned, I find them unbalanced in tension.

I personally find those thomastik trebles you have tried to lack "depth" in their tone.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for replying.

It was actually one of your videos where you’re playing those Infeld stings that inspired me to get a nylon string guitar! I loved how they sounded on your video (possibly because of your excellent playing) but on my guitar, they sound like steel strings and of course, that’s not the sound we’re after.

I recently got a set of Savarez Alliance. I’ll give them a try!
Old 08-13-2018, 04:42 AM

Well I'm gad my post made a difference That was during my transition period from steel to flamenco guitars.

Flamenco guitars are built to be a bit more "edgy" than classical guitars, and have a quicker attack. They normally have spruce tops to get more brightness too.

After a while of playing I started to prefer the carbon strings more than the Thomastik strings. I still think they are fantastic strings for certain contexts, but I just moved more towards a different sound.

I also had to use my right hand differently with carbons strings and after a while I learnt how to attack the strings in different ways to get different tones and dynamics.

With the Savarez Alliance strings, I actually started using the high tension trebles for G and B, and used the normal tension high E string.
Old 08-13-2018, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Is this what you meant by unbalanced tension?

“With the Savarez Alliance strings, I actually started using the high tension trebles for G and B, and used the normal tension high E string.”

Interesting...

I just put on Savarez Alliance trebles and I like the sound of the b and e, but the tension of the e seems really high and the string is a much smaller gauge than the previous set.

Is that what you meant by unbalanced in tension?
Old 08-13-2018, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
“With the Savarez Alliance strings, I actually started using the high tension trebles for G and B, and used the normal tension high E string.”

Interesting...

I just put on Savarez Alliance trebles and I like the sound of the b and e, but the tension of the e seems really high and the string is a much smaller gauge than the previous set.

Apologies for butting in, but you might consider using a nylon high e string
with the carbon second and third. Quite a common setup.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post

Interesting...

Yes, the Alliance (and some other) sets are not balanced in the trebles, so the high E is very noticeably more tense, and I don't like that.

The gauge of the Alliance, high E, medium tension is 0.62mm.

I actually bought some 0.60mm gauge savarez alliance strings (sold as a 2m length string for harps) and used that successfully as the high E string, along with the high tension G and B.

If you are interested, the code for that string is KF60a and isn't hard to find.

When I tried the Hannabach goldin, I noticed the strings are more flexible and nicer on the left hand, but my right hand had to adjust to that as I was was playing too hard and got more "fret slap". The goldin trebles are nicely in balance in terms of tension and tone. I think the alliance strings are slightly brighter.

I've been using the knobloch cx actives on my mum's guitar so I won't be able to compare them reliably until I get back to my guitar and take off the goldins.

I was pretty happy with that Savarez Alliance set up (KF60a E, HT B, HT G), I just fancied exploring for a while. You can definitely get some brightness and projection out of them, and they are relatively cheap.

Last edited by sirwhale; 08-14-2018 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

I’d love to hear your opinion of the Knobloch CX’s vs the Hannabach Goldin’s when you get there👍
Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM

I use Luthier popular supreme on my Flamencos. Works well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical