The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Wonderful conversation here, guys, but let's drop the personal comments. Too much good stuff to talk about.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:34 AM

I would think that "true" Swietenia mahagoni is just as rare if not rarer as Dalbergia nigra. Comparing the very specific BRW to a huge family of woods and related species doesn't make much sense at all, similar to "Mahogany" just simply "Rosewood" can include a whole range of dalberias and similar woods, such as Australian Blackwood.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:42 AM

As a bluegrass flat picker, if I could only own one or the other, I have a very slight preference for a truly outstanding 18 style mahogany dread guitar (my Prewar Guitars Model D in particular)...today...at this minute...at this second...until I start playing my Bourgeois Vintage D Brazilian AT (torified), at which time my preference becomes a little more cloudy. Really, I could be perfectly satisfied with either.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

I believe such an occurrence - Brazilian being more bountiful than mahogany - would cause this forum to collapse in on itself with such ferocity that a hole would be created in the space-time continuum. Because Brazilian is denser than mahogany, it would be disproportionately sucked into the void of space-time. The natural order would be restored and the forum would commence as usual as the hole in space-time closed up again.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Whatiffery...

I have got one: what if we all played banjos instead?
Old 08-08-2018, 11:23 AM

If Brazilian were abundant and Mahogany rare, I couldn't afford to own my favorite guitars.

I guess I'd just have to settle for Brazilian.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

opencee

Old 08-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
I don't think so, and here is why: The vast majority of players (as in, musicians who actually play a lot) whom I've met actually don't seem to care nearly as much about specs and tonewoods and what-have-you as your typical "guitar aficionado," couch picker or collector.
I once asked Paul Simon about his guitars and the pickups in them. Answer, “I haven’t a clue”!

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 08-19-2018, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
I once asked Paul Simon about his guitars and the pickups in them. Answer, “I haven’t a clue”!
And his guitars sound absolutely terrible live, if you’ve had a listen.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

I’ll add that, for anyone who’s priced exotic hardwoods lately, genuine big leaf mahogany is no longer the poor man’s tonewood. It’s poorly protected and eventually slated to go the way of Brazilian rosewood. Real dilemma, what to do about threatened species. Gotta love that scavenged sinker mahogany!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion