The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 06-28-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Foster View Post
I like having a side dot at the 7th.

One of my classical customers wanted side dots on frets 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, and 17, and he's a highly trained classical player, university prof of classical perfromance. I obliged him, of course. It was strange, putting all those side dots on, with nothing on the face of the FB, though.
Wow.... that’s a lot of markers! I’m still going back and forth whether I should add one at the 7th! Different strokes I guess?
Old 06-28-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Cedar View Post
I have an awesome Kohno Pro-J that I'm enjoying exploring as I try to learn classical. However, I'm thinking of putting fret marker stickers on it. Would that get me banished from this sub-forum?
After posting this and reading the responses my thought is this.... if guitarists with skills that I will literally never come close to can have fret markers on their guitars..... than so can I! I still haven’t decided one way or another, after only a very short time playing the classical it’s becoming less and less a problem finding my place. But if I do add one or two I’ve decided I will not be shamed by the online community😉

Jeff
Old 06-29-2018, 02:28 PM

I see nothing wrong with having fret markers on to help navigate. Seems to me to be just traditional then not being there. It's about playability for me, so I put my own on the classical at the 5th and 9th frets. Just a tiny piece of white paper covered with a slightly larger piece of sellotape. The audience can't see it, and my fingers never get lost between the 6th and 9th frets anymore.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I have an awesome Kohno Pro-J that I'm enjoying exploring as I try to learn classical. However, I'm thinking of putting fret marker stickers on it. Would that get me banished from this sub-forum?
Why on earth should anyone here care one whit about how you set up your own guitar? Set it up for maximum playability and quit worrying about what anyone else might think.

Dave
Old 06-29-2018, 09:26 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Why on earth should anyone here care one whit about how you set up your own guitar?
Maybe because I was trying to inject humor into this thread?
Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 AM

I like the temporary side dot markers that Strings By Mail sells. They stick on easily, are durable, and come off without residue.

They come in a large and small size, I like the large:

20180627_222138 by Tristan Koehler, on Flickr

Last edited by tkoehler1; 07-01-2018 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave T View Post
Why on earth should anyone here care one whit about how you set up your own guitar? Set it up for maximum playability and quit worrying about what anyone else might think.

Dave
Ahhh yes - the Mean Streets of the AGF.
Old 06-30-2018, 09:00 PM

I'd say it's easier to put them on than removing, sort of what happens with the action usually being high in a new guitar, it's easier to lower it than raise.

I like them, on the side. Really dislike having dots on the fretboard.

But as many said, it's tradition.

To the OP, sorry about asking this, but as your username suggests, aren't you already used to not having side dots built in the guitar? I mean, I'm also left handed and I'm used to playing without dots, or at least having them, useless, on the other side of the neck
Old 07-01-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkoehler1 View Post
Man you are headed down a dangerous path. Next you'll be asking why are there are no truss rods.
My classic 2” nut has four dots and a truss rod!
Old 07-01-2018, 12:00 PM

And mine 2" / 51mm doesn't have one

It all varies...
Old 07-02-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodmbds View Post
I'd say it's easier to put them on than removing, sort of what happens with the action usually being high in a new guitar, it's easier to lower it than raise.

I like them, on the side. Really dislike having dots on the fretboard.

But as many said, it's tradition.

To the OP, sorry about asking this, but as your username suggests, aren't you already used to not having side dots built in the guitar? I mean, I'm also left handed and I'm used to playing without dots, or at least having them, useless, on the other side of the neck
No need to be sorry😉 I’ve only ever played left handed guitars since I bought my first acoustic back in the mid 80’s, so always had dots! This classical, (my first), is a right handed I had to convert, but have only had it for maybe a month or so now, however.... it doesn’t have dots for a righty either. And I’m thinking less and less about them. I do still get tripped up going from 1st position chords up to the 8 th fret.... but less and less each week that passes. Of course I’m occasionally tripping up even in first position as the classical is sooooo different that what I’ve been playing all my life! Even barre chords which are second nature have been tricky on classical for me. So I think it’s just a process of really putting in time on the classical to get used to it.

Jeff
Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urlkonig View Post
Same reason that there's no markers on a violin or viola or cello etc. Classical instrumentalists by their very nature read music, and do not "spot" themselves visually on their instruments.
This is not really a fair comparison, as the scale is so short on the instruments you mention, that they're very much played by "feel" because the spaces between notes is very small.

The notes on the guitar are spread out a lot more, and I have no problem having a 7th fret marker,...or even a 5th and 7th marker,...for those of us not getting the chance to play long hours regularly. The markers are especially useful when learning a TAB arrangement, as it can save time counting fret positions, on the upper frets especially. :-)

Imagine a Piano without the black colored sharp and flat keys to break up the keys,....same idea to guide the player. :-)

2010 Gagnon Acoustic Only 15" Archtop,
with 3-D Quited Maple & Bearclaw Spruce

Classicals:
2004 Tom Humphrey Millenium
Sakazo Nakade Classical
1982 Masaru Kohno Professional, Brazilian B/S
Martin C-TSH Classical (Tom Humphrey Bridge & Shellac Top Finish!)
1988 Don Banzer 625mm Scale Classical
2008 Johnny Walker Grand Concert Cutaway & Pickup
Old 08-11-2018, 05:13 AM

My recently-acquired classical guitar had dot markers blobbed onto the 12th, 15th & 17th frets in white Tippex-type correction fluid!:
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=517552
Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Heh heh, my first thought was "not here, but maybe on classicalguitardelcamp." But no, even classical guitar freaks are (mostly) tolerant of this and indeed I even discovered that Sharon Isbin uses white out to add dots when she is learning a new piece!

https://www.classicalguitardelcamp.c...ic.php?t=40661

Suggestions in that thread include using a white out pen to make nice circular dot, or to use blue painters tape (low tack).
Old 08-11-2018, 09:44 AM

There comes a time when watching the hands is not necessary. When I play my classical in complete darkness, which is often, I play looking straight ahead while visualizing the fret board. In normal daylight, I do the same thing with my eyes closed. If you think about it a moment, constantly visually monitoring oneself can be an added burden rather than a benefit. Mental imagery while playing removes the middleman (eyes) and you will find yourself becoming much more adept and integral with the guitar. Ask yourself the question: Why do I need to play guitar with my eyes?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical