The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-20-2015, 03:29 PM

Default Question on playing guitar

Hi!
I watched this video with the Bellamy Brothers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDNbvwlRu6I
and now I have two questions:
1. What kind of guitar are the singers using? How are playing those ones different from the acoustic guitar? They don't look like a normal electric guitar.

2. I saw a lot of guitars. Looked like too of them many but it sounded good.
One good example of two strumming guitarists is this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvI3umVxmJw
When you have two (or maybe more) guitarists strumming then I guess they don't do the same thing. Should the difference be in the strumming or in the chord voings? What do you think?
Old 12-20-2015, 03:57 PM

One of the Parker Nite fly models...

http://www.parkerguitars.com/products/nf/

It's not uncommon for multiple guitar players to play a song a little differently than another even though they're playing in the same key,
it adds some fullness and diversity to the music. You can play a particular chord a number of ways which can make a song more interesting to listen to IMO.
16 Alvarez AD610CESB
Mid 80's Alvarez 5009 classical
63 Yamaha No100 classical
89 Gibson Les Paul Standard
04 Gibson Les Paul Supreme
84 Ibanez AS200AV
75 Gibson L6S
05 Gibson SG Special Peter Townsend
95 G&L Legacy

Last edited by jman60; 12-20-2015 at 04:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanders View Post
…When you have two (or maybe more) guitarists strumming then I guess they don't do the same thing. Should the difference be in the strumming or in the chord voings? What do you think?
Hi anders…

I love arranging two guitar songs, and yes, most of the time we are staggering either technique, patterns, chord voicings, etc. to keep separation, keep the arrangement clean sounding, and we often vary things from verse to verse. It also keeps every other song from sounding like every other song.

Sometimes we exchange parts in the middle of a passage, or verse to verse. There are guidelines, but I know of no rules governing these decisions. They can be as creative as we are.

But not doing the exact same thing is a good thing in guitar ensemble playing (or any other ensemble play).

The exception shows up in Celtic playing when two different instruments may play together on a very detailed and intricate melody in unison for an extended period.

This takes great skill, and is an acceptable way of showing off (especially to other musicians who know and appreciate how much work that is).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write