The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 05:44 PM

Default NGD Martin DX1AE Macassar Burst 2018

I play on the Boardwalk weekly and at a few outdoor jams and lastly I don't always want to bring out my good Martin D-15M in bad weather. So hence my new Martin. Now I got this guitar this past Thursday. I waited to post about until I really tried it out.

Moving forward I played guitar in. Jam session last night and then on stage for a performance. I then played it today at the Whitesbog jam held indoors. So it turns out the guitar made the cut and really sounded and played well. So here is a brief update as well. The guitars back and sides feels a lot like an ovation. The looks of the guitar is beautiful and the back and sides is just really nice looking. The top is Solid Sitka with X-Bracing. It has a 1.75 nut. The guitar when tuned and played at first seemed a little tight in sound. After a few minutes of play, the guitar opened up and has that Martin sound that you come to expect. The guitar the past few days just sounds unbelievable for an HPL back and sides. The sound is warm and has a nice growel to it. The neck was really impressive and was was just smooth and fast. I had a friend give it a try and she felt the same way.

The guitar has remained in tuned without issues. The electronics was really nice and sounds great for a guitar of this price. Now I did purchase this guitar with a gig bag. All I can say about this model is that you have to play one to truly appreciate this model. The guitar is constructed well and I really did look at every little inch.

I am truly happy with this guitar and can't believe how this guitar plays and sounds for the price. Martin really did a good job on this model. I will be posting pictures of it tomorrow. I highly give this guitar a thumbs up.

Last edited by GuitarDogs62; 08-19-2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
I play on the Boardwalk weekly and at a few outdoor jams and lastly I don't always want to bring out my good Martin D-15M in bad weather. So hence my new Martin. Now I got this guitar this past Thursday. I waited to post about until I really tried it out.

Moving forward I played guitar in. Jam session last night and then on stage for a performance. I then played it today at the Whitesbog jam held indoors. So it turns out the guitar made the cut and really sounded and played well. So here is a brief update as well. The guitars back and sides feels a lot like an ovation. The looks of the guitar is beautiful and the back and sides is just really nice looking. The top is Solid Sitka with X-Bracing. It has a 1.75 nut. The guitar when tuned and played at first seemed a little tight in sound. After a few minutes of play, the guitar opened up and has that Martin sound that you come to expect. The guitar the past few days just sounds unbelievable for an HPL back and sides. The sound is warm and has a nice growel to it. The neck was really impressive and was was just smooth and fast. I had a friend give it a try and she felt the same way.

The guitar has remained in tuned without issues. The electronics was really nice and sounds great for a guitar of this price. Now I did purchase this guitar with a gig bag. All I can say about this model is that you have to play one to truly appreciate this model. The guitar is constructed well and I really did look at every little inch.

I am truly happy with this guitar and can't believe how this guitar plays and sounds for the price. Martin really did a good job on this model. I will be posting pictures of it tomorrow. I highly give this guitar a thumbs up.

I played one of these at the store. Sounded, felt, and looked great. I may have to go back and get it.

Phil

1969 Harmony Sovereign H1260
1974 Martin 000-18
2014 Martin HD-28V
2018 Martin 000X1AE
2018 Taylor 150e
2009 Fender American Special Telecaster
Old 08-19-2018, 07:31 PM

Most people that have played one think they sound great and have that Martin sound. Some people can't get over the HPL look. I don't have a problem with it at all as sound and playability come first, then price. These guitars fit that criteria for me and a lot of others.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:37 PM

Congrats on the new Martin. I picked up a used, older model DX1 a few months ago and am quite impressed with it.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:53 PM

That is, indeed, a fine guitar - without breaking the bank. I have had one (Koa Version) for a bit over a year. It looks and plays as you described. The sound is wonderful, plugged or unplugged and the "staying in tune" is remarkable. We just got back from a 3-day trip and when I picked it up this evening (it stays out on a guitar stand) and checked the tuning - every string was spot on.

To me, the value seems incredible. I purchased mine from a local music store for less than $500 with a Martin gig bag. They had just gotten six in - I played each one - two of them "spoke to me" and I chose the one with more visible grain in the spruce top.

Congratulations on your purchase and thank you for sharing your insights.
Ibanez AEG Mahogany, '16
Yammie FG-430A, '91
Baby Taylor, '15
Listed in order of usage.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 PM

My DX1 really like Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze strings. Helps balance the tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion