The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 02:36 PM

Default New Bob Thompson Guitar

I just received my new Bob Thompson Adi Top-EIRW B&S Torrefied Dreadnaught and boy am I glad I ordered it. The workmanship is beautiful and the sound is huge! I’ve played several old 30’s, 40’s, and 50’s Martins and this thing is the closest new guitar that sounds that old I’ve ever seen. I can’t put it down.

If you’re looking for a killer small shop guitar look Bob up on the web and on Reverb. Plus his prices are hard to beat.

Old 08-19-2018, 03:03 PM

I have a Bob Thompson DN, too. I haven't encountered many on this forum with direct experience.

I've been talking to him about ordering an OM. I called him the other day and told him that I guess we should start it. Start it? He's almost done!
Old 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Count me in. I picked up Lutz over Mahogany (torrefied) Dreadnought At Kaufman Kamp earlier this summer.

Bob's son, Larry, was there with 15 or 20 instruments. I spent several hours over a couple of days between sessions playing all the hog bodies he had with before selecting the one I brought home.

Great builder, great pricing, and wonderful guitars.

D
Old 08-19-2018, 04:01 PM

Welcome to the AGF! I see this is your first post.

Congrats on the Thompson! I heard the name before but couldn't recall who he is. Just checked out his website and he's located in WV.

Did you ever play a Thompson before commissioning the build? Enjoy!
Old 08-20-2018, 12:05 PM

Anyone else? The few times I inquired about Bob's guitars, I heard very little. I'm very stoked to be getting my 2nd soon.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 PM

Nope, bought it sight unseen after seeing a video of the guitar and hearing the tone over some good hi-fi headphones. Bob uses some unconventional methods some would say, but these guitars sound “older” and bigger than anything else I’ve played. They’re tone-monsters, too!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennesseeboy View Post
Nope, bought it sight unseen after seeing a video of the guitar and hearing the tone over some good hi-fi headphones. Bob uses some unconventional methods some would say, but these guitars sound “older” and bigger than anything else I’ve played. They’re tone-monsters, too!
I read about aged/torrified woods on this forum. I then went to Reverb and typed it in a search. Bob's guitars were the first to come up. I loved what I heard.

I have read to never buy something based on sound clips. Mine sounds dead on, minus the ability to play like some of his clients.

If I knew how great my DN would turn out, I might have upgraded the back/sides to Brazilian. I wish it could be a little more responsive to delicate finger style, but I doubt it's possible to have that kind of responsiveness and DN volume in one guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion