The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-22-2015, 05:48 PM

Default Jamplay thoughts??

Just seeing what some opinions on jamplay are. They are running their yearly sale and I keep kicking around joining.

I have had good success with truefire lessons, but nothing there seems to catch my eye right now. The free samples on jamplay seem decent and there seems to be a lot of content. I know they offer a free sample, but I trust everyone's opinions here wayyyyy more than a free sample.

- Matt
Old 12-22-2015, 08:45 PM
Dan - Charter Member

I've had a membership for a couple of years. There is a ton of material of all kinds of genres. They have been adding lots of content and have also been doing some live once-a-week workshops. If you want to look in more detail there's a one week free trial: http://www.jamplay.com/free-trial. I now have a private teacher so I spend less time on Jamplay, but I enjoy some of the live sessions, and I have been going over some fingerstyle and blues lessons.

One thing I like is that they do license real songs when they can. I didn't see copyrighted song content on Truefire when I was looking at the sample lessons.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 PM

My membership is up any day now and I probably will not renew.
I would seriously try the free trial and REALLY look in depth and what lessons you want to take.
There seems to be a lot of showing off with the instructors and they move real fast.
One lesson they are showing you chords that you already know and then playing something that in reality would be years down the road for that genre.
I went into the bluegrass section with determined eyes wide open but was soon disappointed.
The general consensus there seems to be one example per item is good enough while very very quickly the lessons turn into very advanced like they are afraid to bore you.
Also many time I would print out tabs and later find mistakes or that the tab did not match the lesson.
The songs section seems well done and the songs broken down nicely, there was just not many songs that I liked.
Sorry to sound so negative. The price is right that you don't need to get much each month to make it worth it.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Jamplay thoughts??

Same here. I joined for a while and they have a lot of very professionally done videos and they have very live video sessions daily with different teachers. But I find the acoustic offerings limited in quantity and choice. But what they do have is quite good. I probably won't renew, as I am working on songs through Jerrys Guitar Bar.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:32 AM

Default Jam Play Is Great

See your pm
Old 12-23-2015, 12:26 PM

Are any of these lessons subtitled? I'm hearing impaired and need subtitles.
Old 12-23-2015, 12:32 PM

I was a member for one year and did not feel I wanted to renew. I never felt that the lessons were really well-produced. I really liked the on-line sessions, however. The teachers were great and interacted well with the audience - but unfortunately, the best teachers were online mid-day (I work!)!

IMO, the best acoustic lessons have been from Homespun. I once again joined Truefire for the reason that I like to cross genres and sample different teachers. The trick with Truefire is to wait for their sales to purchase courses and or membership.
Old 12-23-2015, 03:42 PM

I just started playing guitar last year and joined JamPlay this time last year.

My subscription is about to expire and I'm not renewing.

While I actually found some of the beginner courses helpful, I found that most of the instructors hadn't been active on the site in a number of years.

One of the things they promote is communication with the course instructors...I saw questions that had been posted 2-3 years earlier with no reply.

I've found Justin Sandercoe ( ) and Marty Schwartz's material much more helpful.

Last edited by Denny B; 12-26-2015 at 05:46 PM.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
I found that most of the instructors hadn't been active on the site in a number of years.
Yes another bite of food for thought. I know that Jamplay reps do frequent these pages and at times respond to these type threads. I have zero experience with the difficulty of retaining qualified instructors. However, without the opportunity of one on one questions/answers with the teacher then this becomes no different really then youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write