The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 02:06 PM

Default Discrete pickup system for near vintage D35

I've been using a Seymour Duncan Woody XL pickups (slightly modified) for my older acoustics. I've been resisting electrifying them permanently but may be softening my position on my '72 D35. I like the convenience of plugging in my Taylors, but also use a small Baggs GigPro pre-amp for additional control (which was a huge help EQ'ing last Friday).

My D35 has had the bridge filled an reslotted for a "split saddle" [photo attached] so no piezo will work (and I hate the sound of them anyway). I don't want a pickup in the soundhole. I also would prefer not to bore out the end pin for installation of a jack that will accommodate a 1/4" plug. I'll need a smaller end pin jack that will accomodate a smaller plug which I can then use an adapter to get to the 1/4" side cable.

I don't need controls in the sound hole but I don't rule them in or out. It all depends. At this point I'm not even concerned about the cost. I want to make this as good sounding plugged in as it does acoustically. I don't see ever selling this guitar... and the right argument may even make me relent on my thoughts about not boring out the end pin hole.

So gentlemen (and ladies)... What are your recommendations?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-15-2018, 02:57 PM

The world is your Oyster! Can’t help with your endpin issue but if you’re willing to forego that there are innumerable pickups available. The most discreet is the K&K which comes in passive or active models. Another option is the LR Baggs Element. A great mike with a small soundhole preamp.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 07-15-2018, 03:56 PM

K&K is easy to install and remove. They also make a vintage endpin jack: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...ge-jack/475089
Old 07-15-2018, 05:17 PM

Can't go wrong with K&K. Excellent sound reproduction, reasonably priced. You won't regret it.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
The world is your Oyster! Can’t help with your endpin issue but if you’re willing to forego that there are innumerable pickups available. The most discreet is the K&K which comes in passive or active models. Another option is the LR Baggs Element. A great mike with a small soundhole preamp.
Element has an undersaddle piezo pickup with a mic. A Baggs Lyric has the same mic as the Element but no piezo. I love them and have two guitars with them installed, but in a loud stage environment they can be feedback prone. That is cured with a soundhole plug. The endpin can be removed later and a dowel glued in, if you want to reverse the installation.
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 PM

Things to consider:

K&K mini
LR Baggs Lyric
LR Baggs iBeam
Schatten HFN
Trance Amulet M

I would be prepared to enlarge the endpin hole.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfox View Post
K&K is easy to install and remove. They also make a vintage endpin jack: https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...ge-jack/475089
The superglued-in K&K is about the furthest thing from "easy to remove" of any pickup I know of. But that may not matter to the OP, since it is a very unobtrusive pickup system.

And the OP should get the end-pin routed - this is no big deal, at all.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:33 PM

I agree with others on K&K. If you don't want to drill a 1/2" hole in the tail of your guitar you could use the Vintage Jack: http://kksound.com/products/vintagejack.php

I just added a Pure Mini to my HD-28V, but if it was a vintage guitar like yours I would have installed the Vintage Jack instead of the standard jack.

BTW, even the the Pure Mini is a passive pickup it doesn't required an additional preamp or DI box.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:59 PM

Yup. I've been researching for a few weeks now. Sounds like the answer to your puzzle is the K&K Pure Mini w/ vintage end pin.

Hope you get sorted.

Old 07-15-2018, 09:12 PM

K & K is fine. It is popular. You might get lucky and it will be balanced after it is installed. Better chance that it needs a lot of EQ.

I will recommend a pickup that I believe in that most folks have never tried because they are still hand made by one guy and more expensive. They attach like the K&K but with epoxy. They are more mic like and you will get a more balanced sound every time once installed. Now, EQ is used minimally and not for making a bad sounding pickup sound better. EQ can be used for taste. Imagine that! Combine it with a Sunnaudio on board or off board preamp you have a killer system. No mic necessary. It’s easy, unobtrusive, and it is no big deal to drill an endpin in your guitar.

BTW, this thread will no doubt get moved to the Amplified section of the forum. There, find the Shout out to Sunnaudio thread I started. Good luck.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 07-15-2018, 09:25 PM

I love my Trance Amulet. I don’t have a split saddle but as one pickup is for the top three strings and the other is for the lower three I don’t see why it should work great. Preset easy to remove as it fastens to the bridge plate with what amounts to tape.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 07-15-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I will recommend a pickup that I believe in that most folks have never tried because they are still hand made by one guy and more expensive.
What is it?
Old 07-15-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Element has an undersaddle piezo pickup with a mic. A Baggs Lyric has the same mic as the Element but no piezo. I love them and have two guitars with them installed, but in a loud stage environment they can be feedback prone. That is cured with a soundhole plug. The endpin can be removed later and a dowel glued in, if you want to reverse the installation.
A Lyric would definitely be on the radar as would K&K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Things to consider:

K&K mini
LR Baggs Lyric
LR Baggs iBeam
Schatten HFN
Trance Amulet M

I would be prepared to enlarge the endpin hole.
Yeah... Amulet would be another possibility. I have to wrap my brain around the sound hole enlargement, but might change my mind if I find the right system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
K & K is fine. It is popular. You might get lucky and it will be balanced after it is installed. Better chance that it needs a lot of EQ.

I will recommend a pickup that I believe in that most folks have never tried because they are still hand made by one guy and more expensive.
I'm sure you meant to include the name .

Photo of the body with split saddle so you can see what it looks like and why no undersaddle piezo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0169.jpg (29.3 KB, 58 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-15-2018, 10:16 PM

Dazzo pickups - very highly regarded pickups from a new AGF Vendor - should be on the OP's short list of pickups to consider, especially since budget is not an issue.

AND, he's a classy vendor who doesn't constantly resort to spamming up the main discussion board in order to get his name out there, either.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

A word about the end pin jack question: I recently de-electrified my HD-35 since I no longer use it on bar gigs. Initially I was going to leave the jack there as a strap button, but instead decided to install a "NoJack," marketed by Stewart-MacDonald specifically for this purpose. With the strap in place it is virtually undetectable. With the strap off it is noticeable only on close inspection.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and...ak_Endpin.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion