The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM

It is all about the top which is solid wood in both. Laminate gets a bad rap in my opinion. Many of the custom builders are using double and triple sides for stiffness, which technically is a laminated side.

I would stick with the lighter build and solid top and not worry about the laminated back and sides, and actually it will be a more solid guitar less prone to crack down the road. Plus this is the one that sounds best to you anyway, always the biggest factor.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:51 PM

A thought -why not buy your guitar used and buy ones that have been played in and opened up - then you know exactly what your getting -
Typically all solid wood guitars will develop into better sounding guitars but that's not always true -at least ( if you have a tight budget ) buy guitars with a solid top -if your going new - BUT used is always a better deal -if their in good condition .
Old 07-15-2018, 02:09 PM

Thank you to everyone that replied! Your insight is greatly appreciated. I have a tough decision here. They both sound really good, just slightly different.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
All things being equal and in this case I am comparing a Yamaha CSF3M and a CSF1M. The CSF1M is a lightly built solid top with laminate back and sides. The guitar sounds quite “alive” and very good. The CSF3M is all solid and seems to be a bit overbuilt by comparison. It also sounds very good, but is more subdued. Both guitars are new.

I can only keep one and I am partial to all solid guitars. However, I typically buy used so I am not an expert in whether or not a new all solid guitar will open up or not.

So in this situation, do you take the laminate or the solid?
I had the opposite experience when I auditioned a few CSF1M and CSF3M a couple of months ago. The 3M was more resonant and had a bit more "depth" to the tone than the 1M did. Having said that, it's entirely possible that you ran into an exceptional 1M and a so-so 3M, given that these are both "manufactured" guitars at the end of the day. So if you can't audition any other instruments of the same models, just go for whatever sounds best to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Burns View Post
A thought -why not buy your guitar used and buy ones that have been played in and opened up - then you know exactly what your getting.
The issue here is that the CSF series just came out this year, so the supply is not that big right now, even for new. I don't think I've seen a used one out yet, and it may be some time before you start seeing used ones for sale.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:54 PM

Bought my son a little laminate back and side parlor guitar. It sounds nice.

Doesn't "opening up" take years possibly? Buy the one you like. Sounds like it will make a nice beater/campground/porch guitar.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 PM

I have a 1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832, which is basically a D-28 with a solid spruce top and laminated rosewood back and sides. It's probably worth about $600-800 on the used market. For months I was looking at solid-wood bodied guitars under $1,000 to replace it, but nothing came close to the sound I get from this "plywood" guitar.

As others have said, keep the one that sounds best.

BTW, I just bit the bullet and purchased an HD-28V, which does sound better than my Shenandoah, but also cost much more than the $1,000 I was planning on spending. Even so, the Shenandoah still sounds pretty good!
Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 PM

Default play me

pick the one that says play me. labels are just, well labels. guitars are ment to be played. if you like it and you will play it, thats all that matters...enjoy.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiddenmickey View Post
Thank you to everyone that replied! Your insight is greatly appreciated. I have a tough decision here. They both sound really good, just slightly different.
Well if they both sound good but different, then your choice should be based on how you plan to use it! Are you like some of the folks here who worry about humidity and keep guitars in cases while not in use. Or do you like leave guitars out for accessibility, never worry about humidity, let others play it, etc. If you are in the latter category (like me), you definitely want the laminate model! My Yamaha laminate guitars survive almost everything (even use by students when I was working in a middle school!).

BTW, I just made a "small guitar" purchase myself, and the Yamaha models you speak of were strong contenders. I also found them slightly different, but both sounded great. Had I gone with the Yamaha it would have been the laminate model just based on price alone. I ended up with a GS mini, but I could have just as well ended up with the Yamaha--it was pretty much a toss up with each having qualities I really liked.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:44 AM

Thanks again for all of the very good replies!

I decided on the CSF1M (laminate b&s). Now it's time to go play the heck out it!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:04 AM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
It's a musical instrument, not a piece of furniture. Buy the one that sounds best to you and forget about how it's put together
I'll agree but with a caveat: make sure the instrument is well made. Whether or not it has a laminate back and sides shouldn't affect the quality of the construction, but the rest of the guitar should be of good quality.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpt50 View Post
Well if they both sound good but different, then your choice should be based on how you plan to use it! Are you like some of the folks here who worry about humidity and keep guitars in cases while not in use. Or do you like leave guitars out for accessibility, never worry about humidity, let others play it, etc. If you are in the latter category (like me), you definitely want the laminate model! My Yamaha laminate guitars survive almost everything (even use by students when I was working in a middle school!)..
This Yamaha has a solid wood top, and such instruments should not be kept in too dry conditions for too long.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:01 AM

OP, you've gotten good response with this thread......not one recommendation to try different brands, ex. Eastman, Blue Ridge, etc.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 AM

I agree with most the things people are saying, but I would do something different.

Can't tell you what to do, but I can say what I would do in your situation - and I'll say it because it goes against the flow. I would roll the dice on the all-solid wood if it seems well built and the fit and finish are good, and you like the sound. Solid-top with lam back/sides are everywhere, and it's not hard to find a good one. But the all-solid is just at it's starting point and has greater possible upside. The potential is there for it to be truly special. I would have it set up to my liking with a bone saddle and nut, experiment with different strings and learn to massage the maximum tone I can from it. It could become a lifelong bond and signature sound for me.

Good luck.

Taylor 512ce 12-fret (cedar/mahogany grand concert)
Seagull Artist Studio (spruce/rosewood dreadnought)

Last edited by drumstrummer; 07-16-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Interesting question. Having owned a classic FG-150 Red Label all laminate Yamaha circa 1971-72 that could give my Martin D18V a run for it's money, I'd say don't rule out a laminate back/sides guitar just because of that. I have enjoyed and owned many guitars that were not all solid and sometimes have preferred their tone over a solid wood guitar.

Having said all that, I tried the CSF1M at a local GC a couple weeks ago and was disappointed with it. I'd have to try another one to see if my perceptions change, but the one I tried seemed to have no definition, no clarity, but rather like all the tones and overtones were stepping all over each other and cancelling each other out. I don't know quite how to explain it...

I'd like to a/b them but I don't see the CSF3M anywhere to try it out.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:33 AM

I am the contrarian on the board who actually likes laminated guitars for some purposes. They are less susceptible to changes in humidity and temp, and the back and sides just don’t make much difference, if any, in sound. I would say go with what sounds and feels good to you.
I’m not really sure that guitars “open up” with age, I think maybe it is the strings seating better at the nut and bridge plate over time (ducks quickly).
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion